Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we know where this is at Subaru?
Has there been any efforts to chase this down with SoA?
There was a rumor floating around a month or so ago that Subaru was well aware of the issue and was going to release a fix/TSB for this.
Any new info?
Robert, do you know of anything official yet? Can you ask? I can call SoA, I just don’t know if I’d be wasting my time as something may already be in the works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took the dog out this morning and my lifgate on my 2020 is open about 3 feet. ???????
Nothing missing but battery is dead.
I bought the car new in late November and have 3K miles on it.
What's up with this? Liftback hadn't been up since Saturday.
Charging the battery now and researching I see this is an issue people are having.
I love the vehicle but now I'm concerned this is a glitch that can just randomly happen?
Not happy!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,585 Posts
@Keysguy there are several threads about the lift gate draining the battery and a couple more about accidental litigate openings. Just google or use the site search function. There’s plenty to read to keep you busy!
Since it only opened 3ft it sounds like the memory might be active preventing it from opening fully? Try to keep your fob somewhere safe so the trunk button doesn’t get activated accidentally.
My fob was in my pocket last week while working on my other car. Every time I bent down it seemed like my Ascent’s liftgate was beeping and going up or down until I took the fob out of my pocket.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Very interesting.. first time I've heard this. It certainly looks like the buttons stick out too far on the fob. On my Impreza I always managed to hit the red panic button... but it didn't stick out. o_O

@Keysguy there are several threads about the lift gate draining the battery and a couple more about accidental litigate openings. Just google or use the site search function. There’s plenty to read to keep you busy!
Since it only opened 3ft it sounds like the memory might be active preventing it from opening fully? Try to keep your fob somewhere safe so the trunk button doesn’t get activated accidentally.
My fob was in my pocket last week while working on my other car. Every time I bent down it seemed like my Ascent’s liftgate was beeping and going up or down until I took the fob out of my pocket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK so here's where I'm at.
Battery re-charged. Liftgate wont latch! :mad:
I manually got the latch to fully close which I noticed it was not. Sprayed in some silicon lubricant even though it was clearly well greased.
Hit the unlock button on all doors at the driver door and it unlocked.
Closed it with the liftgate button, it closed and heard the latch lock.
Open and closed several times and it worked perfectly, opening full distance each time.
One thought has occurred to me. It MAY have been the first time I've left it unlocked when not in use for more than like 15 minutes or so. Maybe I inadvertantly hit a button getting out of it when last used on Sunday? My thinking now is that as long as the car is locked it shouldn't be able to open itself.
We shall see.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
813 Posts
OK so here's where I'm at.
Battery re-charged. Liftgate wont latch! :mad:
I manually got the latch to fully close which I noticed it was not. Sprayed in some silicon lubricant even though it was clearly well greased.
Hit the unlock button on all doors at the driver door and it unlocked.
Closed it with the liftgate button, it closed and heard the latch lock.
Open and closed several times and it worked perfectly, opening full distance each time.
One thought has occurred to me. It MAY have been the first time I've left it unlocked when not in use for more than like 15 minutes or so. Maybe I inadvertantly hit a button getting out of it when last used on Sunday? My thinking now is that as long as the car is locked it shouldn't be able to open itself.
We shall see.
As xydadx3 said, this was most likely self inflicted, and not the liftgate opening on its own.

Maybe you accidentally hit the button twice which stopped it mid way up. Not latching was probably because of the dead battery and it just needed to be cycled once after the charge.

This is one of those Ascent features we all love to hate, 3 times for me, luckily only 1 dead battery but once was in a hotel parking lot with the cargo area full of stuff for a 3 month road trip. Someone saw it and notified a staff member who told me.

I'm now going on nearly one year and counting since this happened, my FOB mods seem to be working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gary.........what FOB mods?
BTW----- drove 20+ miles to golf course today, played 9 holes so was there about 2 hours. Good charge, right?
It barely started when I went to leave.:mad:
going to put it on an overnight trickle charge now.
And I am accepting full responsibility this may have been self-inflicted but..............

·
Registered
927 Posts
Once you've fully drained a car battery, it's pretty much dead. Also the OEM battery is known to be questionable anyway. Bite the bullet and replace it with a good battery.

(And this is why I'm glad I have a Premium with a manual lift gate :D )

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
813 Posts
Gary.........what FOB mods?
BTW----- drove 20+ miles to golf course today, played 9 holes so was there about 2 hours.

My mod was to cut out the rubber over the hatch button than wrap a zip tie around it covering the hole over the button. Cheap, simple and effective so far but crude I know.

9 holes today, oh man my clubs will be in the basement for 3 more months...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I haven't sprung for a decent battery yet, but I've had the dealer replace two OEM's in 24K miles. Doesn't matter that my hatch-left-open did in the first one -- 6 hours of hatch shouldn't have spent the battery (even our multi-amp-sucking hatch sensors). The OEM battery has some problems keeping up with its own spec. I occasionally check voltage after an overnight sit, and when it starts showing well under 12.0v (maybe 11.8v), I know it will fail a load test at the dealership.

I will keep having them change out for new OEM's until that fateful day when I have no other choice but to buy a new nice battery (late at night, far from a dealership), and I will try to have SOA reimburse me for that one.

We're into the next model year already, so I doubt that any Subaru dealership hasn't seem numerous bad batteries come in. They will know what's up if you tell them it's defective.

F.s.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can get an LED bulb that will definitely reduce power consumption for $6. perhaps this would be helpful. However I do agree that the normal bulb should not kill the battery overnight. God knows how many times in my life the interior lights have been left on and the vehicle started fine, even in Canada where it's colder. Seems like a pain to keep going to the dealer to replace the battery with the same useless product. It wouldn't be worth my time going thru all that.

I haven't sprung for a decent battery yet, but I've had the dealer replace two OEM's in 24K miles. Doesn't matter that my hatch-left-open did in the first one -- 6 hours of hatch shouldn't have spent the battery (even our multi-amp-sucking hatch sensors). The OEM battery has some problems keeping up with its own spec. I occasionally check voltage after an overnight sit, and when it starts showing well under 12.0v (maybe 11.8v), I know it will fail a load test at the dealership.

I will keep having them change out for new OEM's until that fateful day when I have no other choice but to buy a new nice battery (late at night, far from a dealership), and I will try to have SOA reimburse me for that one.

We're into the next model year already, so I doubt that any Subaru dealership hasn't seem numerous bad batteries come in. They will know what's up if you tell them it's defective.

F.s.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We’ve never had a single instance on accidentally opening the trunk with the fob, knock on wood.

That has nothing to do with, and shouldn’t deter from the fact that Subaru’s got a defective design on their hands with the trunk battery drain. This is a big deal for a lot of people. No other Subaru or other car has this problem, as long as lights are turned off. This a a major lifestyle issue with which this car was purchased for. Days at the lake, camping, pretty everything outdoors.

Please call SoA if you haven’t yet on this -we need THEM to get a solution going for us.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can get an LED bulb that will definitely reduce power consumption for $6. perhaps this would be helpful. However I do agree that the normal bulb should not kill the battery overnight. God knows how many times in my life the interior lights have been left on and the vehicle started fine, even in Canada where it's colder. Seems like a pain to keep going to the dealer to replace the battery with the same useless product. It wouldn't be worth my time going thru all that.
It is not the bulb that drains the battery. You can have the bulb turned off / removed and the battery will still drain just as fast.
The entire CanBus system is energized while with hatch is open. It’s literally like having key in the accessory position. Theres a massive amperage draw that has nothing to do with the trunk light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree, it's not the lights.
I don't seem to have an auto light anyway with the hatch open. After about 30 seconds they dim out.
Only other light I have back there is a small manual one with a toggle swithch and I know it wasn't on.
Gave it a good overnight trickle charge and seemed ok today............so far

·
Super Moderator
2,585 Posts
There’s this thread and there’s a disappointing gas mileage thread. I’m curious if there’s a connection. When the alternator is doing more work gas mileage suffers.
I have yet to have a dead battery, however the battery is now a year and a half old with 29k mi on it. Since this liftgate battery drain was identified pretty early I’ve known not to leave the liftgate open too long but have done it for an hour or so at a time. My mileage has dropped a bit lately but it’s hard to correlate to a specific cause since my driving has shifted to mostly city and I put heavier tires on it. I am however anticipating some battery degradation in the near future and will check for any change in mileage after I replace it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's an interesting thought xy. As I'm currently hanging onto my OEM batteries and letting the dealer replace them as they go bad, I can track mpg before and after. Lots of noise in my existing fillup data (towing, hypermiling drives, stomping rush drives, long highway trips, stretches of town only). Unfortunately the hypothesis might only get proven by personal observation and feel as this latest battery slides downhill and when I finally get it replaced again.

But really good thought.

F.S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took the dog out this morning and my lifgate on my 2020 is open about 3 feet. ???????
Nothing missing but battery is dead.
I bought the car new in late November and have 3K miles on it.
What's up with this? Liftback hadn't been up since Saturday.
Charging the battery now and researching I see this is an issue people are having.
I love the vehicle but now I'm concerned this is a glitch that can just randomly happen?
Not happy!!!!!
Welcome to owning an Ascent. This happened to me 2 weeks after I bought my Ascent. I went to a herding trial and left my dogs in SUV with the tailgate open. Surprise, when I got ready to leave the battery was dead. Went in to the dealership and their answer was that you can't leave the tailgate open. I put a switch on my battery so I can disconnect it when I have the hatch open. Last weekend I was at an agility trial and had the tailgate open long enough to load my SUV (about 30 minutes, so didn't think I would need to disconnect the battery). Once again a dead battery. Just talked to the service department and they suggested not leaving the hatch open for more than 15 minutes. Really!!???

1 - 20 of 69 Posts