Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Subaru Transmission recall. Had the transmission recall addressed & all the issues the recall said “could” happen happened going down the freeway with my wife & 3 year old in the car after it was supposedly fixed. Currently back in the shop waiting to find out what happened. Numerous recalls!! absolutely NOT satisfied. Looking at solutions to have Subaru take it back.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
2019 Subaru Transmission recall. Had the transmission recall addressed & all the issues the recall said “could” happen happened going down the freeway with my wife & 3 year old in the car after it was supposedly fixed. Currently back in the shop waiting to find out what happened. Numerous recalls!! absolutely NOT satisfied. Looking at solutions to have Subaru take it back.
Can you be more specific as to the issues that aren't yet fixed? Your post is presenting an issue that's unique to this forum, at least from my perspective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Subaru Recal:
The concern is because of a faulty pressure sensor within the transmission. The sensor could give a false reading that would cause the transmission to reduce hydraulic pressure, which could make the car slow or hesitate unexpectedly.
Drivers may also notice irregular noises, vibration while driving, and/or a warning light illuminating on the dashboard.

This was listed on the recall & the fix was to supposedly change a sensor or such. I had the car serviced & supposedly fixed. After the fix ALL this happened on the freeway going 60+ mph, I managed to get over to the side and smelt a burning smell. I immediately got our 3 yr old out of the car thinking it was going to catch fire. We had it towed to the dealer & was told it was a transmission issue that is still being diagnosed to the root cause.
This is on top of the brakes wearing excessively & the other numerous recalls. I have owned numerous Subaru

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned numerous Subaru’s but never had to deal with so many issues. I realize cars have issues but I’m over it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
there has been no and there is no transmission (CVT) recall. There have been related parts (wiring harness or pressure sensor software update) to the transmission that have been recalled for replacement or software updates. Some 2019 CVT had to be replaced because they were damaged from the above parts failing for too long (these parts were listed in the recalls), but the CVT itself had no manufacturer defects itself. It was replaced under warranty if the CVT was damaged in this sequence. My 2019 CVT has been fine (no replacement needed at 27,000 miles). I had the recalls for the harness and the software update. I know some vehicles had premature brake issues that were dealt with under warranty. Mine have been fine and have not needed any service.

I know it can be terrifying with a child in the vehicle for any vehicle mishap. Years ago I had a engine fire in the moving vehicle with wife and child (very well maintained vehicle - not a Subaru). The issues you have are well known and have been dealt with sequentially for other owners in your position. Yours will as well, so while understandably frustrated, I would not ultimately be too concerned. You will end up being taken care of by repairing your vehicle under warranty. Just make certain you communicate with SOA and the dealer is providing an appropriate loaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. I will update once I get the car back & review the issue verbatim from the dealer. The exact recall or service advisory I mentioned was related to the transmission sensor or computer upgrade regarding a sensor, unless I am mistaken. I may have misspoke when I said transmission recall The possible results that could possibly happen from the notice did happen “after” the service requested was performed. The service technician said over the phone that the transmission housing bolts “backed out” ( his words) damaging a “booster” & O ring. Waiting on parts , but I will update. I’m not sure how the bolts could come out. But I agree I trust we’ll get to the bottom of it. It is at a trusted Subaru dealer now that I normally do not use. I called my normal dealer & they want to see the car when I get it back to analyze it to help ease my wife’s concerns as she doesn’t want to drive it because of what happened. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Agreed. I will update once I get the car back & review the issue verbatim from the dealer. The exact recall or service advisory I mentioned was related to the transmission sensor or computer upgrade regarding a sensor, unless I am mistaken. I may have misspoke when I said transmission recall The possible results that could possibly happen from the notice did happen “after” the service requested was performed. The service technician said over the phone that the transmission housing bolts “backed out” ( his words) damaging a “booster” & O ring. Waiting on parts , but I will update. I’m not sure how the bolts could come out. But I agree I trust we’ll get to the bottom of it. It is at a trusted Subaru dealer now that I normally do not use. I called my normal dealer & they want to see the car when I get it back to analyze it to help ease my wife’s concerns as she doesn’t want to drive it because of what happened. Stay tuned.
Let Subaru of America know what is going on.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
AFAIK, there's been no concesus on what the CVT harness recall actually accomplished. It included a max torque test and test drive to identify existing slipping, and a TCU update, but what that meant as far as preventing extant faulty harnesses that degrade over time from causing subsequent CVT failures hasn't been established.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. We all look forward to hearing back when you get more information. Can you add the build date of your Ascent? If it means anything, it seems like the vast majority of people who had tranny issues, once repaired or replaced, have been satisfied. I hope you get to that point as well. I completely understand your frustration about issues with a new vehicle. Stay safe out there!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
AFAIK, there's been no concesus on what the CVT harness recall actually accomplished. It included a max torque test and test drive to identify existing slipping, and a TCU update, but what that meant as far as preventing extant faulty harnesses that degrade over time from causing subsequent CVT failures hasn't been established.
Heck, we also haven't established if the harnesses continue to degrade over time. An entire tangent that delved into the chemistry of that indicated that it's also possible that it stops, due to the very corrosion layer created in the process. Or, that it doesn't stop degrading. Sigh.

Regardless, I will though keep everyone posted on how my one-of-the-first-ever-built harness continues to operate as I continue to dunk it in mud and sea water and push the readings from one end of the spectrum to the other. And, I will continue to keep an eye out for harnesses that have failed after a properly performed recall.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Definitely sounds odd. I am looking forward to finding out what your trusted dealership service center finds.

I had a service performed on my 2010 Outback, and the mechanic forgot to torque the 6MT (manual transmission) mount bolts back to the frame, causing it to bounce up and down on the bolts. That dealership is no longer in existence (though, not because of that mistake). I got lucky that it didn't eat the threads and that for whatever reason, the bolt didn't spin out. I torqued it back into place, and they asked me to bring it back so they could check the torque on all the bolts the former mechanic there pulled and put back in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had same problems. Transmission replaced at 11,000 miles. Was not identified until a second test drive with service manager. New transmission bogs down nust like the old one, but apparently that's the way they drive. Today notified of the fuel pump recall. Other problems, fit and finish. The front and rear doors rub together when you open them at same time. You'll figure it out. Doors are off kilter, looked at new ones on the show floor with the manager, they all are. Overall, I've been somewhat dissatisfied with the Ascent, our first time away from Honda and Toyota since 1989. Funny thing, Toyota just recalled 44,000 Rav 4's for possible engine cracks. We almost bought that one. Nobody's perfect I guess!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thanks, I will check on that, if you're talking about the seals themselves. Can't do anything about the door, of course.
Yes, seals themselves.

If the doors are not aligned properly, they can be removed, and re-hung. The car isn't painted with them on, so, it's not a horrible effort to re-align them. I haven't noticed alignment issues with mine (though do notice the door seal not sitting right if the doors are opened together - just haven't cared too much about it).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I had same problems. Transmission replaced at 11,000 miles. Was not identified until a second test drive with service manager. New transmission bogs down nust like the old one, but apparently that's the way they drive. Today notified of the fuel pump recall. Other problems, fit and finish. The front and rear doors rub together when you open them at same time. You'll figure it out. Doors are off kilter, looked at new ones on the show floor with the manager, they all are. Overall, I've been somewhat dissatisfied with the Ascent, our first time away from Honda and Toyota since 1989. Funny thing, Toyota just recalled 44,000 Rav 4's for possible engine cracks. We almost bought that one. Nobody's perfect I guess!
There is in fact a replacement for that door seal. I read in the forum it is thinner.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
"TSB 12-286-20 replaces both of the front doors' weather stripping with redesigned ones that now clear the leading edge of the back passengers doors when partially opened. Part numbers are: 63511XC00B & 63411XC01B."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts