Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited. 2005 Forester.
26 Posts
My blank looked just like that before modification. Purchased a cheap little rotary tool from Harbor Freight for $10 and it took a little time but worked great. I was able to get it to fit perfectly in the blank without any other mounting plates/panels - just the plastic nut it comes with. I think it looks perfect that way. And there is enough clearance for the manual override without problem. The clips on the panel pushed inwards. I'll have to look at it again and see if I have any other tips on getting it out.

· Registered
11 Posts
My blank looked just like that before modification. Purchased a cheap little rotary tool from Harbor Freight for $10 and it took a little time but worked great. I was able to get it to fit perfectly in the blank without any other mounting plates/panels - just the plastic nut it comes with. I think it looks perfect that way. And there is enough clearance for the manual override without problem. The clips on the panel pushed inwards. I'll have to look at it again and see if I have any other tips on getting it out.
Thanks for your reply and I didn’t have to take the entire box out and got the blank only out.

· Registered
22’ Onyx, 96 Dodge Ram Cummins 4x4
53 Posts
I saw mention of the controller knob in the key spot. Anyone have info/experience with that? For me, my right hand is right there and it seems easy get at. I don't think not seeing the settings would be too much of an issue as the installs on the left also require the driver to look away from the road while driving. I could be wrong but it seems like a better fit for me.
How would that cover be removed?
Again, I totally appreciate that you all share your experiences on here. happy Friday!

· Registered
53 Posts
Last post. I see that I need to learn more about actually using trailer brakes and manual mode. I'm guessing that seeing the knob is pretty important as well as knowing how to use it. Anyone have links to good videos? I'm not having luck finding some.

· Registered
11 Posts
I saw mention of the controller knob in the key spot. Anyone have info/experience with that? For me, my right hand is right there and it seems easy get at. I don't think not seeing the settings would be too much of an issue as the installs on the left also require the driver to look away from the road while driving. I could be wrong but it seems like a better fit for me.
How would that cover be removed?
Again, I totally appreciate that you all share your experiences on here. happy Friday!
It was easy using a small flat head screwdriver on the flat side of the to lift it out. However after removing I decided against putting it there and chose the 3rd (blank) button location on the bottom row.

I do think you may be right about using the button to adjust the braking but I'm hoping I can get mine set so I only need to fiddle with it in special situations like trailer sway and hope that doesn't happen much. Please let me know how you like it in use and a photo of the installation. I may want to change my location if I find using it in the current location is a problem.

Did you watch the great demo video in the posting? (y)

· Registered
53 Posts
yeah watched it. pretty much looks like there's no real need to fiddle with it much once it's set and since you have to come to a stop to set it to manual anyway you can stop what you are doing and look for the knob.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the Redarc V3, just not sure where to put it yet. I'll probably go with the lower left in the 3rd slot as well.

· Registered
53 Posts
I picked the slot just above the left side switch panel to install my Redarc Tow-Pro Elite V3 . To make it accessible to view around the steering wheel and to allow for a left hand adjust, I had to move the switch toward the drivers window direction. I made a 3D printed panel and routed the cable through the steering wheel slot in the dash. Since my Ascent is a couple of weeks old I was reluctant to start making holes. This install is easily removed and no holes left behind.
View attachment 12167
Would you consider printing out a panel for me? I love the look of this install!

· Registered
2022 Ascent Limited
7 Posts
This post was amazingly helpful for installing the RedArc. A big THANK YOU. One thing super helpful was this video at the 7:50 minute mark. It shows how to open up the lower dash. That gives to tons of access to a location to tie up the control box and hide the wires.

I had to install my RedArc box twice because the first unit was defective. The first time, I spent almost 2 hours under dash trying to find a secure location for the box, and then trying to get zip ties around it. The second time, I watched the linked video and it took me about 10 minutes. I had more access to the knob location and also found a very easy support post to zip tie to.

· Registered
115 Posts
We're about to get out trailer soon, so I need to get the brake controller installed. We're going with the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite V2 Electric Brake Controller, but do we need anything else, like extra wiring harnesses or anything? The Ascent is at the dealer today, getting the hitch installed. Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
We're about to get out trailer soon, so I need to get the brake controller installed. We're going with the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite V2 Electric Brake Controller, but do we need anything else, like extra wiring harnesses or anything? The Ascent is at the dealer today, getting the hitch installed. Thanks!
The wiring will be more or less plug and play as there will be a connector in the cabin and everything at the back is part of the OEM hitch install kit.

Reactions: NotThePainter

· Registered
115 Posts
The wiring will be more or less plug and play as there will be a connector in the cabin and everything at the back is part of the OEM hitch install kit.
Uh oh. I just got my brake controller today. I have two cables, one goes from the controller to the knob, the other has 4 bare wires, power, ground, trailer brakes and vehicle brake light switch.

I really don't feel like cutting in below. There must be a part I didn't get.

This is what I got, which appears, at least from the part number, to be the V3 North American version.

I can return it, so that's cool.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
You should have a pigtail for the in-cabin connection that came with the OEM hitch kit. Check in the under cargo floor storage and/or the glove box. It's color coded and easy to use crimps to attach to your ReDarc controller. Or maybe Redarc has a pre-terminated cable. (Tekonsha does that kind of thing, so maybe ReDarc does too)

Reactions: NotThePainter

· Registered
115 Posts
It's all installed!

I got the side piece and the white pieces easy enough. But I really couldn't get the 8 switch panel out easily. I could see the 4 side tabs, but I had a top tab also. Once that click it came out quickly.

It was also tricky to get the switch plug out. You don't push on those little triangular tabs like you would expect, you just slightly pry up on the part they clip into.

Then I had to nibble out the interior of my switch. This was pretty easy but it bulged out the plug. I didn't like that I couldn't firmly attach it.

Wood Hardwood Auto part Fashion accessory Office equipment

Maybe you can see the bulge here, I'm not sure.

Rectangle Wood Flooring Hardwood Electronics accessory

I went to dry fit in the car and I couldn't insert it! The bulge was preventing it. But, I inserted it empty into the slot and then the remote fit right in snugly.

It was just then a matter of physically mounting the box, electrically connecting everything, and the zip tying the wires out of the way and putting the trim pieces back.

Computer Personal computer Peripheral Input device Office equipment

Over all I'm 75% happy with it. You can turn the button and push the button. But the only physical connection is a ad hoc press fit. I can see a failure mode where when you go to press the button and it pushes into the dash.

I also don't like the rat's nest of wires under foot. Sure, I zip tied them all up, but it isn't elegant. I wish Subaru would offer a factory brake controller.

And thank everybody for the help! We get the trailer this Friday!

· Registered
115 Posts
Well, problem number one. It seems I brushed against the instrument brightness spinner and lowered to nothing. So my wife, driving somewhere, went raised the brightness and the knob fell off!

And she couldn't put it back on!

It seems that when she brushed up against it it pushed it in!

So tomorrow I'll pull the panels and put some super glue holding the REDARC switch to the plug.

· Registered
115 Posts
We towed home this weekend. Brakes were fine. I tried to calibrate by doing what I read somewhere, turn the knob until the trailer brakes lock up while driving 20mph. Never had that happen. Didn't lock up when the button was pressed either. But, they did seem to work well while towing and that's all that matters.

But the knob fell off again today. I think the real solution for me is to install it elsewhere, probably in the RedArc housing to the left or right of the 8 switch panel. That way I can use a threaded thin nut on the screw threads, probably mounting it in the REDARC plastic housing. It won't looks as nice but it won't fall off.

Of course this means I need to replace the plastic part, hopefully subaru doesn't kill me at the parts counter. And I need to cut my REDARC piece out of the piece I glued it into. I guess that why they make Dremels and safety glasses.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts