Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited. 2005 Forester.
26 Posts
Just installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite V3 in my Ascent today! I wanted to add a few pictures because I think the third version of the controller makes the install a little easier. I am super happy with how it turned out. Now fits in the second/lower row of buttons to the left of the steering wheel without too much trouble. Also, on my 2021 Ascent the pigtail connector for trailer brake wiring was not hard to find at all - a pleasant change compared to what some others have dealt with previously. It was easily accessible without removing any panels.

#1 - Finished product!
Car Vehicle Steering part Personal luxury car Automotive design

#2 - This picture is to show how I trimmed down the plastic on the remote head assembly to make it fit flush with the curved surface of the lower row of switches. The head assembly comes apart easily (trimming the plastic was much easier for me that way). Trimming in this location doesn't uncover any interior parts and doesn't seem to take away from the strength/stability of the assembly at all. I didn't think to take a picture of this before I started trimming. It was square with the forward most bit of black plastic visible in the picture - the threads were not hardly exposed before trimming.
Rectangle Tints and shades Electronics accessory Fashion accessory Composite material

#3 - Showing how nice it fits in the hollowed out blank switch. I just kept taking off a little more from the remote head assembly until I could push it forward just enough to leave a little space between the remote head knob and the switch plate when fully assembled. You can see the space - no problem pressing the knob for full functionality.
Camera accessory Rectangle Tints and shades Machine Auto part

#4 - I don't remember seeing a picture like this one on the forum previously. Head-on to show the plastic nut that connects the head assembly to the hollowed out blank switch. Screws on nice and tight. It is secure without any movement between the two pieces. No glue necessary.
Brown Camera lens Rectangle Cameras & optics Camera accessory

Thank you to everyone who has posted about this previously! It was very helpful. I didn't add any other pictures because I think other parts of the install are well covered here in this thread.

· Registered
26 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Just installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite V3 in my Ascent today! I wanted to add a few pictures because I think the third version of the controller makes the install a little easier. I am super happy with how it turned out. Now fits in the second/lower row of buttons to the left of the steering wheel without too much trouble. Also, on my 2021 Ascent the pigtail connector for trailer brake wiring was not hard to find at all - a pleasant change compared to what some others have dealt with previously. It was easily accessible without removing any panels.

#1 - Finished product!
View attachment 11295

#2 - This picture is to show how I trimmed down the plastic on the remote head assembly to make it fit flush with the curved surface of the lower row of switches. The head assembly comes apart easily (trimming the plastic was much easier for me that way). Trimming in this location doesn't uncover any interior parts and doesn't seem to take away from the strength/stability of the assembly at all. I didn't think to take a picture of this before I started trimming. It was square with the forward most bit of black plastic visible in the picture - the threads were not hardly exposed before trimming.
View attachment 11296

#3 - Showing how nice it fits in the hollowed out blank switch. I just kept taking off a little more from the remote head assembly until I could push it forward just enough to leave a little space between the remote head knob and the switch plate when fully assembled. You can see the space - no problem pressing the knob for full functionality.
View attachment 11298

#4 - I don't remember seeing a picture like this one on the forum previously. Head-on to show the plastic nut that connects the head assembly to the hollowed out blank switch. Screws on nice and tight. It is secure without any movement between the two pieces. No glue necessary.
View attachment 11297

Thank you to everyone who has posted about this previously! It was very helpful. I didn't add any other pictures because I think other parts of the install are well covered here in this thread.
how did you remove the blank from the panel?

· Registered
26 Posts
how did you remove the blank from the panel?
See the pictures on post #3 and #18 in this thread. There are two tabs on each side of the panel the switches are in. Taking out the fuse cover provides access to the tabs. It was actually somewhat difficult to get at all the tabs and press hard enough to disengage them. Once the panel piece is out it is easy to see how the switch blank is removed - a couple more tabs on the back of each switch/blank.

· Registered
23 Posts
See the pictures on post #3 and #18 in this thread. There are two tabs on each side of the panel the switches are in. Taking out the fuse cover provides access to the tabs. It was actually somewhat difficult to get at all the tabs and press hard enough to disengage them. Once the panel piece is out it is easy to see how the switch blank is removed - a couple more tabs on the back of each switch/blank.
Thanks. I was finally able to get it of and difficult is an understatement! Took me a bit but finally got it off. Thanks again!

· Registered
7 Posts
I picked the slot just above the left side switch panel to install my Redarc Tow-Pro Elite V3 . To make it accessible to view around the steering wheel and to allow for a left hand adjust, I had to move the switch toward the drivers window direction. I made a 3D printed panel and routed the cable through the steering wheel slot in the dash. Since my Ascent is a couple of weeks old I was reluctant to start making holes. This install is easily removed and no holes left behind.
Car Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

· Registered
20 Posts
I installed the redarc elite brake controller on my Ascent. Does the system power on automatically when the ignition is started? The LED light on the dial doesn't turn on. If I push the know, the LED comes on and then turns off.

Controller is V2. I assumed based on the manual that the led should start a flashing sequence to indicate calibration.

Thanks

· Registered
89 Posts
I installed the redarc elite brake controller on my Ascent. Does the system power on automatically when the ignition is started? The LED light on the dial doesn't turn on. If I push the know, the LED comes on and then turns off.

Controller is V2. I assumed based on the manual that the led should start a flashing sequence to indicate calibration.

Thanks
The light only comes on when the trailer is attached to the 7pin connector. That’s when it’ll do it’s calibration.

· Registered
27 Posts

#1 - Finished product!
View attachment 11295

View attachment 11296

View attachment 11298

View attachment 11297

Thanks so much for your pictures. When the dealer installed my hitch I asked for one of the blanks to be removed. I spent a lot of time and eventually got it hollowed out for the Redarc control knob. I was not sure there would be enough clearance to press the knob. I ended up shaving down the Redarc blank and used it.

I was lost for a plan until I saw yours.

From an etrailer video I decided to mount the unit on top of the floor vent duct.

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks so much for your pictures. When the dealer installed my hitch I asked for one of the blanks to be removed. I spent a lot of time and eventually got it hollowed out for the Redarc control knob. I was not sure there would be enough clearance to press the knob. I ended up shaving down the Redarc blank and used it.

I was lost for a plan until I saw yours.

From an etrailer video I decided to mount the unit on top of the floor vent duct.
View attachment 13687
This looks great - How were you able to overcome the curve and mount it and have it stay in that position?

· Registered
27 Posts
This looks great - How were you able to overcome the curve and mount it and have it stay in that position?
I worked to modify the Subaru blank but I was afraid it might not have enough clearance to push the Redarc button in for manual override. I ended up working on the Redarc blank and finally got it to fit. It is held in place just by the tight fit.
So the curve issue went away. It doesn’t look like factory install but it is clear that it is the trailer brake and easy to reach.

· Registered
11 Posts
So far I haven’t been able to get the box holding the switches out… Do the clips push outwards or inwards? Did you have to use any tools (screwdriver) to keep them both in the correct direction?

Has anyone ever asked the service department to remove the switch box for them?

· Registered
11 Posts
I worked to modify the Subaru blank but I was afraid it might not have enough clearance to push the Redarc button in for manual override. I ended up working on the Redarc blank and finally got it to fit. It is held in place just by the tight fit.
So the curve issue went away. It doesn’t look like factory install but it is clear that it is the trailer brake and easy to reach.

#1 - Finished product!
View attachment 11295

View attachment 11296

View attachment 11298

View attachment 11297

Did your blank look like this one before you made modifications?
Hood Window Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior

· Registered
11 Posts
So far I haven’t been able to get the box holding the switches out… Do the clips push outwards or inwards? Did you have to use any tools (screwdriver) to keep them both in the correct direction?

Has anyone ever asked the service department to remove the switch box for them?
I was able to take a blank out without taking out the Box... I'm ordering the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller now do I modify the blank for the button, use the mounting panel that comes with it or use a REDARC 331-TPSI-002 or RED44FR Control Knob Mounting Panel?

61 - 80 of 118 Posts