Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for sending the pictures and they help but what is the redarc box attached to in the pictures and is the last picture looking basically up and to the left of the brake pedal?
This was attached to a black electronics box. I has been brought up that not ever trim line has this box as it is probably part of an optional accessory. Just zip tie the control box to anything that is fixed and will not move. As long as the box is solid and won’t jiggle, you’re good to go. Don’t worry about upside down or right side up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, I am sorry that I didn’t see these messages earlier. I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread. And I wish I knew why the photos disappeared. But I believe that these are the correct ones. The order is now probably whack. View attachment 575 View attachment 576 View attachment 577 View attachment 573 View attachment 574
This is a great idea , Thanks for the pictures

Has anyone pulled 4000 pounds with there cars yet. And who every thought of this hitch set up, is genius !

·
Registered
19 Posts

Has anyone pulled 4000 pounds with there cars yet. And who every thought of this hitch set up, is genius !
Thank you. I’m probably not the first to put aRedArc in the Ascent, but I like to think I came up with the cleanest install around.

I pulled a few thousand miles this past season with my Winnebago 2100BH which is around 4200 lbs. loaded. Best tow vehicle I have owned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you. I’m probably not the first to put aRedArc in the Ascent, but I like to think I came up with the cleanest install around.

I pulled a few thousand miles this past season with my Winnebago 2100BH which is around 4200 lbs. loaded. Best tow vehicle I have owned.
How did you get the "blank" out of the car? I can't seem to reach the clips to release them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a detailed description father back in the thread. Pictures were deleted. you’ll find those reposted later.

If I remember correctly, you have to take out the whole accessory panel to get the individual blanks out.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Our trailer is 4100 lbs dry so we have definitely surpassed 4000 lbs. It pulls just fine but as any hard side trailer is, when being overtaken the vehicle wash can be unnerving slightly. Otherwise it tows great, and maneuvering is a cinch. I do also recommend a rear view camera for your trailer. It helps immensely, mine is powered off the trailer lights but is otherwise wireless. I have it aimed to allow full view of the rear of the trailer from one side of the bumper to the other so I can see how close I am to my gates or the edge of the campsite when reversing. Absolutely worth the money on the redarc and camera.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much for all the info...

Nice Install Dimitrivich!

I finally got mine done as well...I really like how unobtrusive and professional it all looks!

A few pics!

thanks again for the info and for ascentforums in general!
dfade - would you mind reposting the pics of your redarc install on the lower blank. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got done with the red arc in the lower bank in my 2020 Limited. I had to dreamed the bottom part of the plastic ring for the redarc provided plastic holder as well to compensate for the curve in the lower button. Will send pics.. I ended up reaching way up in the console and mounting the controller to the metal bracket that the wiring harness and fuse box connects to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got done with the red arc in the lower bank in my 2020 Limited. I had to dreamed the bottom part of the plastic ring for the redarc provided plastic holder as well to compensate for the curve in the lower button. Will send pics.. I ended up reaching way up in the console and mounting the controller to the metal bracket that the wiring harness and fuse box connects to.
Do have any pictures on the install?

·
Registered
39 Posts
For those waiting to pull the trigger, I emailed the company to see if they could beat amazon (this more $$ for them). He shared this:

“Keep an eye on our website REDARC Electronics: Automotive Electronics, Accessories & Equipment, on May 16th we’re holding a one day only deal for the virtual Overland Expo West visitors and with the code EXPOWEST20 you can get 10% off the full online store + a free merch pack with every purchase. 😉

This of course will also include our free delivery to anywhere in the USA shipped from our company warehouse in North Carolina.“

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got mine finally installed on the top row. Used tin snips and metal files to hollow out the blank. I found I had to file down the thickness of Side the dial goes on to it would click. Happy with the results. For those not sure where to mount it I followed the same procedure as @3863 and zip tied to a black Plastic electrical box mounted towards the firewall. Anyway, attaching a photo in case it’ll help others as it too me a while to find it home. I have a 2019 Touring if it matters

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question for those that have installed this way - would it be easy to move one of the existing top row switches to the bottom row? Or are they different sizes (haven't gone and looked yet). Because of the bottom row angle, it seems like it would be preferable to have the Redarc control knob on the top row. With the touring trim, I only have two blanks on the bottom right and I was hoping I can just rearrange the power rear gate memory switch to the bottom row.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Question for those that have installed this way - would it be easy to move one of the existing top row switches to the bottom row? Or are they different sizes (haven't gone and looked yet). Because of the bottom row angle, it seems like it would be preferable to have the Redarc control knob on the top row.
I have a 2019 touring so my top row didn’t have the one touch light, so it was blank which is where I put it. No, the angle of the face of the switch faces are different so wouldn’t be interchangeable between rows. Also, when you take it out, the length of the blanks are different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 touring so my top row didn’t have the one touch light, so it was blank which is where I put it. No, the angle of the face of the switch faces are different so wouldn’t be interchangeable between rows. Also, when you take it out, the length of the blanks are different.
Thank you! I guess I'll have to play around with the bottom row. For anyone wondering, the universal switch mounts from Redarc are too big for the Subaru slots in the instrument panel. They would work nice if installing somewhere else (good quality).

·
Registered
39 Posts
You might consider emailing them to see if they can fabricate one. I emailed them about something else and they were super helpful. Just a thought. I would have bought a ready-made one vs spending the time drilling and carving :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts