Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ascent enthusiasts!

I just took possession of my new 2019 Ascent Limited in white...and I am a very proud man right now :)

I do plan on towing a ultralight travel trailer at times, and have a 6x10 flatbed trailer for quad hauling.

NOW...I need to install a trailer brake controller...and the one that I like for my "minimalist / discrete" nature is the Redarc Tow Pro Elite.
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Redarc/331-EBRH-ACCV2.html

I think I can put the control knob in a very discrete, yet accessible location.

The place I would love to put it is in one of the "blank" knockouts of the left leg driver side control area.

QUESTION for team: Any idea how to get one of the non-used "blank" buttons out of that panel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I chose to go with the Redarc as well. Many people on these forums talk up the Tekonsha to my dismay. The Redarc seems so much more intuitive. Additionally why would I want to install a big beefy box with wires in my brand new beautiful car? Finally, the Ascent has airbags in the knee bolsters. If a brake controller is mounted on the lower dash, an accident could do a lot of damage to my lower half.

So, Although more expensive, in my opinion, the Redarc offers a more professional and safer finished product.

Here is how I installed mine.

1) Remove the accessory switch panel. It is held in place by two clips on each side. They are easily released by hand by reaching up through the fuse panel hole.

2) Remove an UPPER blank switch from the panel. The lower switches have an angle to them that make them unsuitable. There is a locking tab on both the top and bottom of each blank switch.

3) Carefully cut away the excess material within the blank switch. I used a oscillating multi-tool and a hobby knife to do the finishing work.

4) Make sure to notch the Redarc module on the bottom corner. (See photo)

5) Drill out your holes for the Redarc module. I started out with a very small pilot and slowly stepped up. The larger hole needed to be slightly larger than spec to accommodate for the slight angle that the blank switch cover has.

6) Install the blank switch back into the panel before installing the Redarc. It will not go back in with the Redarc installed.

7) Put it all back together.

8) Redarc main box: I attacked this to an existing electrical box with zip ties. Just make sure it is firm and will not shift.

9) Wiring: Red=Red Blue=Blue White=White Black=Black

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all the info...

Nice Install Dimitrivich!

I finally got mine done as well...I really like how unobtrusive and professional it all looks!

A few pics!

thanks again for the info and for ascentforums in general!

·
Registered
19 Posts

I finally got mine done as well...I really like how unobtrusive and professional it all looks!

A few pics!

I noticed that you did some extra cutting and got it to fit into the lower blank. Does the module have enough clearance to be able to push in the knob for manual control. This was my fear. Also, it looks like you glued it and we’re not able to use the nut to fasten it in place. Correct?

·
Registered
233 Posts
More questions

I am going to explore my Premium trim more and see if I can locate a solid place to attach the controller unit to.

If a Premium trim owner spots one, could you please let me know.

I want to thank Dimitrivich and dfade for their photos and information.

I assume that you both have the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional - version 2, which is noted in the below link.

Redarc recalled the V2 in Australia and New Zealand.
https://www.redarc.com.au/recall-notice

The recall notice does not note that the V2 units in the USA were recalled. How are your experiences with this controller working out for you two?

Redarc has released the V3 version, but I cannot find it in the USA yet.
https://www.redarc.com.au/tow-pro-v3

I am torn as to whether I should wait for the V3 to show up over here at etrailer.com or RVUpgrades.com. RV Upgrades is the one selling on Amazon.

Any thoughts from either of you using this unit would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am going to explore my Premium trim more and see if I can locate a solid place to attach the controller unit to.

If a Premium trim owner spots one, could you please let me know.

I want to thank Dimitrivich and dfade for their photos and information.

I assume that you both have the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional - version 2, which is noted in the below link.

Redarc recalled the V2 in Australia and New Zealand.
https://www.redarc.com.au/recall-notice

The recall notice does not note that the V2 units in the USA were recalled. How are your experiences with this controller working out for you two?

Redarc has released the V3 version, but I cannot find it in the USA yet.
https://www.redarc.com.au/tow-pro-v3

I am torn as to whether I should wait for the V3 to show up over here at etrailer.com or RVUpgrades.com. RV Upgrades is the one selling on Amazon.

Any thoughts from either of you using this unit would be much appreciated.
Sorry for the delay in response. I did not receive a notification for your inquiry.

Thanks for bringing the recall to my attention. I was not aware of it. I checked my serial numbers and I was not affected.

I purchased mine through etrailer.com.

I Just got back from a 2000 mile spring break trip down to FL with my travel trailer and I can’t say enough good things about the RedArc. From the moment you take it out of the package, you can tell that it is well manufactured and better engineered than other controllers. In the manner that I have mine mounted, I can easily monitor my trailer connection, braking power and braking mode with a quick glance. No menus to navigate, arrow buttons to push or itty-bitty screens to read. Best of all, it is instantly adjustable. If I am driving in the mountains and it starts to rain and I want to adjust my braking on the fly, no worries. Don’t look, just reach to your control knob and turn. Pulling into a campground in the middle of the night? Flick that knob to “0” and there will be ZERO squeaky trailer brakes to wake up your neighbors in the middle of the night. Got the itch to manually activate the brakes? Push the knob in.

And the best of all... Push button start. It annoys me to no end that I have to climb in and depress the brake pedal to start. Problem solved! Lean in and push the RedArc knob. (It closed the braking circuit) BOOM. You can start your car by simply leaning in.

If I can answer any questions, let me know. My opinion is that you shouldn’t hesitate in purchasing one. The V2 works just fine. Every manufacturing company has errors. It is only the highly capable businesses that have the ability to identify the concerns and issue effective limited recalls.

It is very much worth the $$.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What trim level do you have?
I have the Premium and cannot find anything to attach the Redarc main box to.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken
There should be a black electrical component high up along the firewall. It looks like a relay box. Maybe 2” x 3” in diameter and held in place with a single metal bracket. (If I remember correctly) you’ll definelty have to contort yourself to get it up in there firmly. A couple of zip ties worked for me. In fact, it was a pain in the ass to take it down from that spot to check the serial numbers.

I own a Limited model.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply.
After weeks of searching, I could find nothing on my Premium trim to attach the main unit to. :(
I finally gave up and purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy P3.
I have a fusebox cover on order and I'm planning on modifying the new cover with 1/4-turn type locks to prevent it from opening when I mount the P3 brake controller on it.
Not as sleek an option as yours for sure!
It should work well enough, and the second door will allow for the brake controller removal when not in use.

Again, thanks so much for your time. Love your RedArc setup! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I chose to go with the Redarc as well. Many people on these forums talk up the Tekonsha to my dismay. The Redarc seems so much more intuitive. Additionally why would I want to install a big beefy box with wires in my brand new beautiful car? Finally, the Ascent has airbags in the knee bolsters. If a brake controller is mounted on the lower dash, an accident could do a lot of damage to my lower half.

So, Although more expensive, in my opinion, the Redarc offers a more professional and safer finished product.

Here is how I installed mine.

1) Remove the accessory switch panel. It is held in place by two clips on each side. They are easily released by hand by reaching up through the fuse panel hole.

2) Remove an UPPER blank switch from the panel. The lower switches have an angle to them that make them unsuitable. There is a locking tab on both the top and bottom of each blank switch.

3) Carefully cut away the excess material within the blank switch. I used a oscillating multi-tool and a hobby knife to do the finishing work.

4) Make sure to notch the Redarc module on the bottom corner. (See photo)

5) Drill out your holes for the Redarc module. I started out with a very small pilot and slowly stepped up. The larger hole needed to be slightly larger than spec to accommodate for the slight angle that the blank switch cover has.

6) Install the blank switch back into the panel before installing the Redarc. It will not go back in with the Redarc installed.

7) Put it all back together.

8) Redarc main box: I attacked this to an existing electrical box with zip ties. Just make sure it is firm and will not shift.

9) Wiring: Red=Red Blue=Blue White=White Black=Black

I hope this helps!
I see there were pictures attached to this originally. Would you be able to re-upload those?

·
Registered
2 Posts

A few pics!

Do you still have the pics you took of your install? If so can you please re upload them?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I may try to install my Redarc where the key would have been. It seems like the space would be there. Does anybody have input? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,846 Posts
I think I may try to install my Redarc where the key would have been. It seems like the space would be there. Does anybody have input? Thanks
Someone showed a brake controller control installed in that location...the issue was it was out of sight which made making changes "on the fly" more difficult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First off, I am sorry that I didn’t see these messages earlier. I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread. And I wish I knew why the photos disappeared. But I believe that these are the correct ones. The order is now probably whack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for sending the pictures and they help but what is the redarc box attached to in the pictures and is the last picture looking basically up and to the left of the brake pedal?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Great write-up, as I mentioned in another post it was a big help, I got mine installed in a couple hours. I think the location is fantastic, right next to all the other driver controls you need to reach.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts