Subaru Ascent Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Administrator
7,817 Posts
where does that connector go at the other end? Where do you find the connector to hook up the electric brake cable from the trailer?
The OEM hitch comes with everything. The 4 and 7 pin connectors and harness plug into a connector in the rear of the Ascent.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,171 Posts
where does that connector go at the other end? Where do you find the connector to hook up the electric brake cable from the trailer?
The harness flows from the front of the vehicle where the brake controller plugs in (generally speaking) to the 7 pin connector near the hitch receiver at the back of the vehicle. The trailer plugs into the 7 pin connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I followed much of what you all have posted here, so BIG THANKS EVERYONE. I'm posting some pics of my install for my 2020 Ascent Limited. I purchased the Tekonsha P3 90195 from Leo's RV in Maryland (Justin is great at the parts department).

Here's what I did . . . used the storage space to the left of the steering wheel, since I found it to be wasted space anyway and it's really well-positioned to see the controller. I drilled a 3/8 hole in the back of that space and fed the Tekonsha wiring harness through the hole (I actually removed much of the Ascent trim, but I don't think you need to do anything except take the fuse box cover off to gain a little extra access). I will plug that hole with a rubber plug, or an extra plastic plug I have (see 4th pic) if I ever go to sell the car.

The dealer had put my OEM wiring harness under the boot in the back (not the glove box; check both if you cannot find after install). I used the pinch clips supplied by Tekonsha to wire their harness to the OEM harness, taped everything up pretty, and hid the excess wire near where the OEM harness clips into the hard wired end by the left foot rest. Easy peasy, but on a 100 degree day, felt less than easy ;-)

I have used 3M Command velcro to keep the controller in place and level. I found this was a much more reasonable approach than more drilling for screws, installing brackets that take up space, etc.

You'll need to leave enough slack in the wiring to push/pull through the hole when placing the controller in the car. I'll unplug the controller when not in use.

Final thoughts, the manual brake slider on the bottom on the P3 requires you to be a bit careful how you position the controller in this spot. You don't want to shove the controller in here and jam the manual slider. The Tekonsha Primus might be a good option too because its manual slide is a squeeze button on the right side of the controller and may fit better in this spot on the Ascent.

Pics attached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP!

We recently purchased a 2020 Ascent Premium. I had the dealer install the OEM hitch and have the brake controller wiring harness/adapter that was left in my glovebox. I purchased a brake controller over the weekend and have been trying to locate the connector under the dash next to the driver's left leg, but cannot locate it. I've removed the surrounding trim pieces and still cannot find it!

The first person that I spoke to at our dealership said that the connector wouldn't be there unless our vehicle had the tow package installed at the factory. They also said that I wouldn't be able to tow up to the 5k pounds because we also wouldn't have the intercooler for the same reason, but I thought that was standard on the Premium and above. None of this seems to match what I've read on this site... am I missing something here?

I'd post pictures, but my wife is taking it to the dealership for some assistance as I write this.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The first person that I spoke to at our dealership said that the connector wouldn't be there unless our vehicle had the tow package installed at the factory. They also said that I wouldn't be able to tow up to the 5k pounds because we also wouldn't have the intercooler for the same reason, but I thought that was standard on the Premium and above. None of this seems to match what I've read on this site... am I missing something here?
The dealer rep was "smoking something" and clearly incompetent. Your vehicle has the plug up front. With the installation of the OEM hitch receiver kit, the electricals in the back were also installed. And Premium, Limited and Touring (US designations) ALL have the 5000K towing capacity. Only the "base" model doesn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They certainly were on something! The tech that helped my wife was able to find it, but said that it was the most well hidden one that he’s seen!

Now it’s time to mount my P2 (the P3 is out of stock near me and I need it ASAP)...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. Interested in feedback on the location, from you folks who've done this before (this is my first time). I can reach down and touch the unit easily without taking my eyes off the road - this is needed in case I use the manual lever, right? Anyway, it's easy to access, and doesn't get in the way, even when getting in and out of the driver's seat.

I saw a mounting opportunity using the fuse box door by the driver's left knee. With a brand new car, I'm a little shy to drill holes through anything expensive or hard to replace. I purchased a new fuse box door from Subaru (p.n. 66135AJ020VH door, and 82245XC00A label) and mounted the wide P3 bracket to it. The fuse box door closure tabs are barely strong enough to hold the additional weight of the controller and bracket, so I added magnets on the door and steel brackets to the opening.

The dash is a little curved, so to get the P3 parallel to the direction of travel, I skewed it in its mount a little.

The mounting is very solid and clean. I might pick up some thumbscrews to replace the side philips heads so I don't need a tool to tighten or align the controller in its bracket. To remove the controller, I open/un-hinge the door, tilt the controller forward, and unplug the cable plug.

Since the controller doesn't have on/off, I guess I have to unplug the unit when not towing anything. It's good to keep it out of sight when it's not needed anyway.

Now all I need is a trailer with a brake!

F.S.

Edit: This is on a Touring with factory tow hitch option, so I found the open connector in the panel by the driver's left foot per the posts and pics above (thanks!!), and the dealer left the wiring harness in the glovebox. Soldered same color Tekonsha wires to same color Subaru harness wires. Hardest part was clicking into the open connector... not much slack there at all.
I'm reposting lost pics to an old post, in response to a message from @altitudewrench

The magnets went right on the hatch, and the plates were stiff but bendable so I could adjust their depth. I used epoxy on the metal-to-plastic joint, and lots of knife-scraping of both surfaces or it WILL pop off (ask me how I know!).

Once adjusted, the metal tabs are at little risk of getting popped off. I've towed several trips now, and switching in the second door (with magnets and my controller mounted) is simple and quick.

I hope that helps!

F.S.
20200829_212103.jpg
20200829_212129.jpg
20200829_212023.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's one I found works;

Trailer Brake Controller Wiring Adaptor- Teckonsha

Fits all Reese, Tekonsha, Draw-Tite and Pro Series Brake Controllers
Hello. I just purchased a 2020 ascent and had the towing package installed at the dealer. They told me (and Subaru customer service verified) that the 2019 version of the kit had a brake controller wiring harness but in 2020 that part is not available anymore. Now my RV dealer says he can't install the brake controller. Is the adapter above a fix for the missing piece? I've included a picture from a video of the 2019 hitch install I found online. Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
My factory new 2020 Premium Ascent without the trailer hitch option added came with the harness. Maybe that's why the hitch assembly for 2020 no longer includes it?
It was located in the 'way back' under the panel behind the 3rd row seat.

The one I linked to earlier is a plug-n-play specific so you don't need to splice the controller to the Subaru factory supplied pig tail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! When you say 'under the panel' did you remove the plastic cargo tray that the tools and jack are in to get to it? I've checked everywhere but there. In other words, I've taken off the rubber mat and the hinged door. It's not in that area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! When you say 'under the panel' did you remove the plastic cargo tray that the tools and jack are in to get to it? I've checked everywhere but there. In other words, I've taken off the rubber mat and the hinged door. It's not in that area.
And I just took out the plastic tray under the hinged cover where the jack and tools are. It's not under there, either. But thanks for letting me know it came with your car. Maybe they can order the part for me if they're not looking for it as part of the hitch kit.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I ordered and received this part:

It did include the pigtail for the brake controller.

I wasn't raised on a farm, but I know BS when I smell it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I just purchased a 2020 ascent and had the towing package installed at the dealer. They told me (and Subaru customer service verified) that the 2019 version of the kit had a brake controller wiring harness but in 2020 that part is not available anymore. Now my RV dealer says he can't install the brake controller. Is the adapter above a fix for the missing piece? I've included a picture from a video of the 2019 hitch install I found online. Thanks!
That looks like the correct harness. Mine was in my glovebox after they installed the hitch. I'd check all your little cubbies.Glovebox, center console, rear storage tray just to verify you haven't missed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That looks like the correct harness. Mine was in my glovebox after they installed the hitch. I'd check all your little cubbies.Glovebox, center console, rear storage tray just to verify you haven't missed it.
Thanks. Looked everywhere in the car to no avail and two dealerships here in middle TN tell me that part is not available. Looks like I will need to help myself because subaru isn't any help at all. I see that theme in quite a few posts above.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Brand name brake controllers like Tekonshia often have pre-terminated pigtails available that plug directly into the vehicle on one end and into the controller on the other. They can be easily split if the location requires a longer cable.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts