Subaru Ascent Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
After having seen the Redarc installation I was sold. No way I could live with a brake controller sticking off the dash like that. I am taller than average though. My wife would not have approved either. There are also good controllers that mount on the trailer as well, so you don't have to worry about installing anything in the car. I do like the the redarc it is out of the way but easy to reach and see from the drivers seat and works better than the trailer mounted tekonsha unit we had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to earlier posts (and no thanks to Subaru) I found the male end of the controller harness plug under the driver-side dash. For the benefit of others trying to find it, I have attached pix of the location including photo titles. Prodigy P3 Controller arriving from eTrailer on Monday - expect easy install.
I can't find the brake controller connection point.

Where do I find the pictures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK found the pictures, Found my harness connection point.

I did not get a wiring pigtail when I got my Ascent with Trailer Package. The Dealer's Parts guy was clueless, is their a part number for the pigtail, is their a p/n for the connector, and where do i find info on the assignment of wires>

The plug under the dash has four wires connected. A large gauge GREEN wire (high current load) a very small yellow wire and a black wire and a white wire of the same gauge about half the gauge of the Green wire. I am NOT a novic in connecting a brake harness, I have done a dozen or so. Just need the right info.

Oh, by the way. I just took delivery of my 2020 Ascent Limited on December 2nd. This is my first Subaru, traded in a POS Honda Ridgeline, actually the Ridgeline is not a POS, the DEALER SERVICE component is the POS. Long Story, they made me mad as hell, so mad that if I had a heart condition, I would have dropped dead at the Honda dealer the day after Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK found the pictures, Found my harness connection point.

I did not get a wiring pigtail when I got my Ascent with Trailer Package. The Dealer's Parts guy was clueless, is their a part number for the pigtail, is their a p/n for the connector, and where do i find info on the assignment of wires>

The plug under the dash has four wires connected. A large gauge GREEN wire (high current load) a very small yellow wire and a black wire and a white wire of the same gauge about half the gauge of the Green wire. I am NOT a novic in connecting a brake harness, I have done a dozen or so. Just need the right info.

Oh, by the way. I just took delivery of my 2020 Ascent Limited on December 2nd. This is my first Subaru, traded in a POS Honda Ridgeline, actually the Ridgeline is not a POS, the DEALER SERVICE component is the POS. Long Story, they made me mad as hell, so mad that if I had a heart condition, I would have dropped dead at the Honda dealer the day after Thanksgiving.
Here's one I found works;

Trailer Brake Controller Wiring Adaptor- Teckonsha

Fits all Reese, Tekonsha, Draw-Tite and Pro Series Brake Controllers

·
Administrator
7,816 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Invaluable website and great thread. I'm going the spare fuse door route for the brake controller mount and noticed that my specific door has the part number 66135AJ020. On the subaru parts websites it states that that part number is actually for the WRX/Forester and that the 2019 Ascent fuse box door is actually part number 66135XC00AVH. I'm guessing that they are probably the same and it's just a different part number but has anybody else encountered this? Thanks

·
Administrator
7,816 Posts
Hello,

Invaluable website and great thread. I'm going the spare fuse door route for the brake controller mount and noticed that my specific door has the part number 66135AJ020. On the subaru parts websites it states that that part number is actually for the WRX/Forester and that the 2019 Ascent fuse box door is actually part number 66135XC00AVH. I'm guessing that they are probably the same and it's just a different part number but has anybody else encountered this? Thanks
It has a built in change holder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it the Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control (P3) that you are buying, or is it with a some wiring too? I have the Subaru pig tails.

On etrailer, it wasn't showing me the P3 as an option.

I'll be off to get the spare fuse panel door, and bolting it to that as soon as I confirm which one to order.

For the wiring harness that plugs into the P3, can you buy more wiring harnesses so you can make up P3 to other car harnesses? I.e. can I have the P3 unit and then a harness for each car in the family, and just swap it between cars the one time a year we'll need it?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
@KrisMclean
If you get the P3 it should come with this wiring harness.
The harness splices into the pigtail that came with the Ascent’s hitch. The pigtail plugs into the Ascent and this harness plugs into the P3.
There are also vehicle specific harnesses that don’t require splicing and would make transferring between vehicles easy. I didn’t get one of those so apologies for not having a link for you.

out of curiousity what trailer will you be towing?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,171 Posts
The manufacturer of the P3 also offers pre-terminated pigtails for many vehicles as xydad' mentions for total plug-n-play if you can mount the unit close enough to the vehicle's connector. That said, mating the pigtail from the P3 with the pigtail from Subaru is uber-simple...match the colors, splice with crimp connectors and tape.

·
Administrator
7,816 Posts
Is it the Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control (P3) that you are buying, or is it with a some wiring too? I have the Subaru pig tails.

On etrailer, it wasn't showing me the P3 as an option.

I'll be off to get the spare fuse panel door, and bolting it to that as soon as I confirm which one to order.

For the wiring harness that plugs into the P3, can you buy more wiring harnesses so you can make up P3 to other car harnesses? I.e. can I have the P3 unit and then a harness for each car in the family, and just swap it between cars the one time a year we'll need it?
Thanks
I use that exact one. It comes with its own harness pigtail. One end plugs into the Tekonsha, the other end is exposed tinned wires that you connect to the Subaru provided pigtail. They are color coded and are an exact match for the color code Subaru used. Just match the colors.

So, for your needs, you can get a 4 pin connector pair, and put one end on the Subaru pigtail, and the other end on the Tekonsha pigtail. Then put an end on your other car's pigtail. Viola!

Subaru pigtail |----/ /-----| Tekonsha pigtail
Other car pigtail |----/

Disconnect the Subaru one at the connection you installed, and connect to your other car, then set the brake controller sensitivity, and you're done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am trying to install a brake controller so I really appreciate the tread. This may not be the best place to ask this, but I thought maybe someone here would know. I found the female connector for the brake controller under my dash, but it does not have power. I've measured the voltage/resistance of the other slots and they all seem to be fine, but the center slot (which lines up with the black wire from the Subaru provided pigtail) does not have the 12-14V it should. I have made sure all the fuses are good. The wire coming out of the back of the female connector is green. Unfortunately, like many of you I have no slack at all from this connector so I am unable to trace it back without tearing out a lot of the wire management. I'm guessing a faulty connection. Does anyone know where Subaru pulls power from for the brake controller, i.e. where the green wire goes?

·
Administrator
7,816 Posts
I am trying to install a brake controller so I really appreciate the tread. This may not be the best place to ask this, but I thought maybe someone here would know. I found the female connector for the brake controller under my dash, but it does not have power. I've measured the voltage/resistance of the other slots and they all seem to be fine, but the center slot (which lines up with the black wire from the Subaru provided pigtail) does not have the 12-14V it should. I have made sure all the fuses are good. The wire coming out of the back of the female connector is green. Unfortunately, like many of you I have no slack at all from this connector so I am unable to trace it back without tearing out a lot of the wire management. I'm guessing a faulty connection. Does anyone know where Subaru pulls power from for the brake controller, i.e. where the green wire goes?
Only four wires are used. Are you checking those four pins? Also, is the trailer connected? If I understand correctly, one wire goes hot when it's connected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only four wires are used. Are you checking those four pins? Also, is the trailer connected? If I understand correctly, one wire goes hot when it's connected.
Yes, I checked all 4 pins. The pig tail has two of the wires labeled. The while as ground and the black as power (+12V). The ground is good, but no voltage for the black. It should come on with the car ignition. One of the other pins (for the red wire) outputs a voltage when the brake is pressed, and the other blue wire is for the output of the brake controller.
There was nothing more I could do so I am at the dealership now. They started on and just told me it could take a while. I’ll post once they figure out what the issue is.

·
Registered
935 Posts
In auto DC applications, I've never seen black not be ground. AC household wiring, black is hot.

....evidently, except for brake controllers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I checked all 4 pins. The pig tail has two of the wires labeled. The while as ground and the black as power (+12V). The ground is good, but no voltage for the black. It should come on with the car ignition. One of the other pins (for the red wire) outputs a voltage when the brake is pressed, and the other blue wire is for the output of the brake controller.
There was nothing more I could do so I am at the dealership now. They started on and just told me it could take a while. I’ll post once they figure out what the issue is.
Hey Jon, sounds like I am having the same problem as you. I just posted about my dealership experience, they could not get it fixed.

Did you have any better luck? What was the outcome? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
where does that connector go at the other end? Where do you find the connector to hook up the electric brake cable from the trailer?

81 - 100 of 115 Posts