Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Newer cars have more safety features than ever before. The Ascent comes with knee bolster airbags. Why do you guys choose to install a brake controller anywhere near your knees? If the airbags are deployed, your brake controller is now shrapnel for your lower body.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Newer cars have more safety features than ever before. The Ascent comes with knee bolster airbags. Why do you guys choose to install a brake controller anywhere near your knees? If the airbags are deployed, your brake controller is now shrapnel for your lower body.
The airbag deploys from the middle, not from behind the fuse panel access door. No shrapnel. ?? Thanks though! Image courtesy of the IIHS Ascent crash test.

·
Registered
108 Posts
One interesting thing I learned two days ago is that it is the brake controller that disabled RAB and not the 7 pin hookup. So, in the event you all wire up a brake controller, be aware that RAB will be off when its connected.

I too use the Tekonsha Prodigy P3, btw. Love it.
Last night was the first test run with our trailer and brake controller (Tekonsha Primus IQ). I forgot about the RAB, and it activated backing into the driveway (spooked me!), but then disabled itself. Strangest thing. I'll keep an eye on it from now on and try to figure out the rhyme and reason.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
19 Posts
The airbag deploys from the middle, not from behind the fuse panel access door. No shrapnel. ?? Thanks though! Image courtesy of the IIHS Ascent crash test.
Hey, they’re your legs, not mine. Just bringing some food for thought. That fuse panel already came off in the photo. Some people are mounting controllers to that. Who’s to say where it goes after it gets pushed around by an expanding airbag at 200 MPH.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey, they’re your legs, not mine. Just bringing some food for thought. That fuse panel already came off in the photo. Some people are mounting controllers to that. Who’s to say where it goes after it gets pushed around by an expanding airbag at 200 MPH.
Do you even read posts? or just comment? Yes, that little door is what the controller is mounted to, and no - I'll reiterate - the airbag is not behind that door. The airbag is in the middle - away from that door.

And yes, in the IIHS picture, that is is the fuse panel door laying on the floor there. And wow! It looks like it nearly took off the guys leg, laying there just as if it has been thrown 200mph! ?? Many pieces of trim can come loose in a violent accident, and the little fuse panel door that simply became dislodged is the least of your worries.

So yes, they are my legs, thanks for noticing. ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good luck! please update us if you figure out a pattern
Taking the Ascent on its first camping trip tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you even read posts? or just comment? Yes, that little door is what the controller is mounted to, and no - I'll reiterate - the airbag is not behind that door. The airbag is in the middle - away from that door.

And yes, in the IIHS picture, that is is the fuse panel door laying on the floor there. And wow! It looks like it nearly took off the guys leg, laying there just as if it has been thrown 200mph! ?? Many pieces of trim can come loose in a violent accident, and the little fuse panel door that simply became dislodged is the least of your worries.

So yes, they are my legs, thanks for noticing. ?
Be careful. You’re ignorance is showing.

Not trying to debate you. Just bringing up a consideration that many people don’t even know it is one they should contemplate.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Administrator
7,817 Posts
Fuse box area is outside of the airbags area, and, I think some of the panels were pulled by IIHS. There's a bunch of test sensors wired into the car, as can be seen in some of the photos.

It's still never a bad idea to be extra safe though. So, either way, to each their own, etc. So lets keep things a bit less... antagonistic?

Be careful. You’re ignorance is showing.

Not trying to debate you. Just bringing up a consideration that many people don’t even know it is one they should contemplate.
Yes, that must be it. ???

your not you're

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dimitrivich, thanks for mentioning the airbags. I had not considered it when I installed my brake controller on the fuse box cover.

Now that I've considered it, I'm not concerned, so I'm not moving my controller. However I am concerned about my current cell phone placement - the cradle comes out from the 12v socket area and bends left, next to my right knee. If that got hit by an inflating kneebag, the cell would go flying, probably a line drive at my passenger or split the goalposts into the second row.

Absolut, the pic was very helpful, thanks.

F.S.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to earlier posts (and no thanks to Subaru) I found the male end of the controller harness plug under the driver-side dash. For the benefit of others trying to find it, I have attached pix of the location including photo titles. Prodigy P3 Controller arriving from eTrailer on Monday - expect easy install.
How do you see the pictures? Maybe because I am not on my desktop computer. Is that the problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you see the pictures? Maybe because I am not on my desktop computer. Is that the problem?
I don’t see the photos either. I have attached one that I originally posted in a thread titled “Ascent - Trailer brake install Redarc Tow-Pro Elite”
It shows the Subaru connector at the top left. It is white and closer to the knee bolster.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,171 Posts
Many photos posted prior to the migration to this forum software a few months ago were lost during the transition and the administrators have not found a way to restore them.

Reactions: MarkWorsnop

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just adding my install pic to the pile. So the little fuse panel door is hinged at the bottom and has two little clips at the top. I installed the bracket as close to the hinge line as possible so as to keep weight off the clips. It stays securely closed all on its own like this, no extra latches or magnets required. There's enough friction between the bracket and controller that if I rotate it so that the back of the controller is touching the dash panel it also keeps the door is held closed.
I will probably pick up a spare door so the controller isn't installed 100% of the time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I also got a spare door and I leave the controller bolted to its own door... but it doesn't fit in the nice carry bag supplied with the unit.

Love how you mounted it low to keep the load off the closure clips. I think I kept mine high to reach the spring lever easier, but my poor knee pays for that placement when I get out! I might buy yet another door and do what you did.

F.S.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thanks to earlier posts (and no thanks to Subaru) I found the male end of the controller harness plug under the driver-side dash. For the benefit of others trying to find it, I have attached pix of the location including photo titles. Prodigy P3 Controller arriving from eTrailer on Monday - expect easy install.
I can not see any posted photos that are referenced in this post (or links to them).

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,171 Posts
I can not see any posted photos that are referenced in this post (or links to them).
Photos in many posts made prior to the forum software migration were lost.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts