Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to earlier posts (and no thanks to Subaru) I found the male end of the controller harness plug under the driver-side dash. For the benefit of others trying to find it, I have attached pix of the location including photo titles. Prodigy P3 Controller arriving from eTrailer on Monday - expect easy install.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I call that throwing the dealer a free bone. Its very easy for any Auto maker to simply mark the plug location and tag it for owners to easily find. But by leaving it hidden and un marked its literally a free multi hundred dollar crazy high profit item for a dealer to plug in for you!!

Thanks for sharing.

After finding it, is the panel access still requiring multiple trim parts to be pulled loose or is there a simpl single panel access point?

Just curious

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thank you! I found it too! Did not even have to remove any panels
Great photos. Panel removal isn’t necessary but you may want to tuck excess behind the panel.

Let me know if you match colored wires when you set yours up Monday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did not remove any panels either and I did match the colored wires, the installation went well. I tested all of my blades on my 7 pin receptacle with a volt/ohm meter verifying that all of the connections were working before plugging into buddy's trailer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake Control wiring adapter

Thanks to earlier posts (and no thanks to Subaru) I found the male end of the controller harness plug under the driver-side dash. For the benefit of others trying to find it, I have attached pix of the location including photo titles. Prodigy P3 Controller arriving from eTrailer on Monday - expect easy install.
Mind sharing which wiring adapter you used to plug the brake controller into the wiring harness in the Ascent?

I see wiring adapters for Ford, GM, Jeep, Toyota, etc... No Subaru. It looks like a 4 pin square plug at the harness?

Thanks for the pictures of the location.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Subaru includes the wiring adapter in the glovebox. At least that is where mine was.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3 Posts
wiring adapter

Subaru includes the wiring adapter in the glovebox. At least that is where mine was.
Cool, forgot about that, thanks!

Is the fuse that runs the brake controller inline on the wiring adapter/harness or is it with the rest of the fuses in the fusebox in the cabin?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is in-line with the adapter.

Where are you guys hiding or installing the break controller? In my 2011 Outback, I had it in the center console with a neat little pull-down face to hide it when I wasn't towing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is in-line with the adapter.

Where are you guys hiding or installing the break controller? In my 2011 Outback, I had it in the center console with a neat little pull-down face to hide it when I wasn't towing.
I installed mine in the little shelf to the left of the steering wheel. I snaked the cable up the opening of the steering wheel column. It's is quite out of sight and can easily be accessed without fumbling for it. I just put some 3m velcro to make sure it doesn't pop out, but it wedges in there quite nicely with a P2 brake controller. I'll post a photo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My wife is helping me decide where to put it and suggested the little cubbie under the HVAC controls. There isn't any hole in the back of it to run wires, unless I took out the 12V socket, so I'd have to be careful about drilling one for the four wires. Anyway, she said why not put it there so you can see it? I like that idea. I can't see it in my Sienna without leaning way over, and then I can't see the road.
Anybody know what's behind that cubbie?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Base Model

Just wanted to share that if you have a base model Ascent that it will not come with this brake controller plug in on the vehicle. I went into my vehicle and tried to find the connector to plug in the wire that was provided with my Ascent, and I had the tow package factory installed to avoid an issue like this, and it is not there. I went to the dealership and they said that their "Theory" is that because it is a base model it would not be added. It's pretty disappointing and seems to be just another thing Subaru has cheeped out on. Even a base model is $33,000 I can't get some $6 LED light bulbs in my headlamps. Just seems a little crappy to me. Love the car, hate the lack of integrity.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just wanted to share that if you have a base model Ascent that it will not come with this brake controller plug in on the vehicle. I went into my vehicle and tried to find the connector to plug in the wire that was provided with my Ascent, and I had the tow package factory installed to avoid an issue like this, and it is not there. I went to the dealership and they said that their "Theory" is that because it is a base model it would not be added. It's pretty disappointing and seems to be just another thing Subaru has cheeped out on. Even a base model is $33,000 I can't get some $6 LED light bulbs in my headlamps. Just seems a little crappy to me. Love the car, hate the lack of integrity.
Maybe that is why the base model has a reduced towing capacity? Or maybe because it has a reduced towing capacity? Somehow I am guessing they are related.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes it is a bit crappy that they let you get the tow package on the base model. In fact they should have a different receiver for the base model with a Class I hitch and a 1-1/4" receiver plus a disclaimer. The reason they don't give you plug for the harness is because the base is only designed to tow 2000lbs So a class 1 would be appropriate. Trailer brakes aren't legally required until you hit 3000lbs so they just figured well your not supposed to do it so tough stuff.

The base model cuts cost by not including the transmission oil cooler. Without it the CVT is going to overheat with the extra height resulting in CVT failure. That is why they only rate the Base for 2000lbs. It sucks because it isn't an expensive part to add when building the car and leads to confusion on buyers. Subaru should have included it in all Ascents. It's like they wanted to steer people away from the Base in the first gen.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. Interested in feedback on the location, from you folks who've done this before (this is my first time). I can reach down and touch the unit easily without taking my eyes off the road - this is needed in case I use the manual lever, right? Anyway, it's easy to access, and doesn't get in the way, even when getting in and out of the driver's seat.

I saw a mounting opportunity using the fuse box door by the driver's left knee. With a brand new car, I'm a little shy to drill holes through anything expensive or hard to replace. I purchased a new fuse box door from Subaru (p.n. 66135AJ020VH door, and 82245XC00A label) and mounted the wide P3 bracket to it. The fuse box door closure tabs are barely strong enough to hold the additional weight of the controller and bracket, so I added magnets on the door and steel brackets to the opening.

The dash is a little curved, so to get the P3 parallel to the direction of travel, I skewed it in its mount a little.

The mounting is very solid and clean. I might pick up some thumbscrews to replace the side philips heads so I don't need a tool to tighten or align the controller in its bracket. To remove the controller, I open/un-hinge the door, tilt the controller forward, and unplug the cable plug.

Since the controller doesn't have on/off, I guess I have to unplug the unit when not towing anything. It's good to keep it out of sight when it's not needed anyway.

Now all I need is a trailer with a brake!

F.S.

Edit: This is on a Touring with factory tow hitch option, so I found the open connector in the panel by the driver's left foot per the posts and pics above (thanks!!), and the dealer left the wiring harness in the glovebox. Soldered same color Tekonsha wires to same color Subaru harness wires. Hardest part was clicking into the open connector... not much slack there at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the post w/ pics. Is your controller working? I am installing the Prodigy P2 and I would like to confirm that the color coding/function of the wires for the Subaru pigtail and the pigtail for the Tekonsha Controller are the same as follows:

Black - Battery Positive
Red - Stoplight Signal
White - Ground.

Blue - Output to Trailer brakes

·
Registered
402 Posts
All I did was match colors - P3 adapter wires to Ascent adapter wires. I did not try to figure out what was what.

I haven't rented a trailer (with brakes) to test it out. The P3 did power up, and ran through the troubleshooting menu. I get voltage (12.x resting, 14.x with alternator), and then it senses that I don't have a trailer hooked up and limits my screens.

Really need to hook up to a trailer!

F.S.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts