Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m new here but when I was figuring out a travel trailer to buy and how to get the brake controller configured this forum was very helpful. So, now that I just completed my first trip with the trailer I thought I would pay the favor forward and share my experience.

Background: I am in Salt Lake City, UT and tow mostly in the mountains. I have some experience towing but not with the Ascent and nothing I would say uniquely qualifies me. I used the Tekonsha P3 brake controller recommended here and it was very easy to hook up and use. OEM hitch installed by the dealer.

I know others on this forum have pushed the 5000 tow rating on the Ascent, but it seemed that they mostly lived in the Midwest and south and didn’t have to deal with the same amount of mountainous terrain that we have out here in the west. So I decided to be a bit more conservative and chose the 16BHS because max GVR is just under 4000 lbs, or about 80% of the max tow rating of the Ascent.

The trailer tows great. Plenty of power and getting up to speed is no big deal. I also feel confident in the brakes, even going down some relatively steep mountain passes. There is a bit of sway in the trailer from time to time but I’ve found this is mitigated by loading it properly, and I think what sway remains is probably due to being a relatively heavy single axle trailer, not because it’s too big for the Ascent. I know that dual axle trailers will generally tow better than single axle. I wish we could use weight distribution hitches with the Ascent because I think that may help some.

Gas mileage on a recent 350 mile round trip was around 13-14mpg.

Anyway, that’s my report: if you live out west and are wondering whether the Ascent can tow a trailer of this size in the mountains, hopefully it helps. And thanks for your help when I was trying to get the Ascent configured for towing!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the report. I too live "in the mountains" (Colorado Springs) so will be towing uphill wherever I go! Glad to hear the Ascent does ok climbing! Just got the Ascent (Touring) with dealer installed hitch and the OEM hitch bar. We have a 2021 Vintage Cruiser 19CSK on order - with a GVWR of 4095. It has a dry hitch weight of 340 so I'm looking for ways to manage that. I plan to get a hitch scale and monitor that regularly.
Hope you'll post more experiences towing in the mountains. LIke you I see many in the midwest or south, and their towing experience will be different!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Honestly, I think you made a wise choice, no matter what the terrain. Folks tend to like to push the limits of a tow vehicle quite commonly and that's not necessarily the best practice. Having a comfortable margin below those specification limits is a darn good idea all around. Yes, the accommodations will not be as spacious, but towing will be easier and safer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I recommend getting your tongue weight as close to 500 lbs as you are comfortable with. This really helps the trailering feel. This size trailer with tandem axles would tow very well. If only manufacturers considered that more than just getting a "good enough" trailer out the door.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts