Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The auto wipers work so well that it's the only position I use. I was surprised to see that the headlights (in auto position) do not turn on. Even under heavy rain with the auto wipers operating continuously. Sounds like an oversight.

If I change the wiper switch to the manual ON position the auto headlights will come on after a short delay.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree, and think that auto headlights should be set to come on whenever the wipers are turned on at any speed (other than the very short temp activation during windshield cleaning). In many states it's the law to have lights on whenever wipers are being used (in other words, whenever it's precipitating).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm going to guess that the auto headlights don't know the difference if you have the wipers clicked on or if you're just doing one swipe (upward motion on the stalk). So they wait a little bit to see if you're going to be leaving them on for a while.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Folks, it's not that simple. But close. There's a setting under "Setttings->Vehicle" that enables linking the auto headlights TO the wipers. You need to enable auto headlights, and find that setting and enable it as well.

I suspect some of you found that setting (or it was set for you) and some have not. So, if it's still not working for some of you, simply find the wiper-link setting and enabled "Auto-on/off wiper linked headlights"

Oddly, some cars do not have the default settings (this came up with other settings as well).

In your manual on page 226:

Auto-on/off wiper-linked headlights
While the light control switch is in the “AUTO” position, the headlights will automatically turn on when the windshield wipers operate several times. The headlights will automatically turn off when the wipers stop.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the responses but my issue was not addressed. My comment has to do with the Rain Sensing Wipers found on the Touring model. My experience is that the headlights do not come on when using the AUTO WIPER position of the right stalk and the AUTO HEADLIGHT position of the left stalk. My Touring model has rain sensing wipers and they work extremely well. Brief swipes when drizzling, continuous operation during heavy rain. At no time do the headlights come on. If I forego the AUTO WIPER position and move the right stalk (Wipers) to the ON position the headlights will come on after about 30 or 60 seconds.

This seems like a failure to me. With AUTO positions on both stalks it seems logical to me that Subaru intended for me to put both stalks in AUTO and that all wiper and headlight control would be automatically managed. It doesn't work. During a day-time rain event I have to manually move one of the two stalks out of AUTO to one of the ON positions.

Folks, it's not that simple. But close. There's a setting under "Setttings->Vehicle" that enables linking the auto headlights TO the wipers. You need to enable auto headlights, and find that setting and enable it as well.

I suspect some of you found that setting (or it was set for you) and some have not. So, if it's still not working for some of you, simply find the wiper-link setting and enabled "Auto-on/off wiper linked headlights"

Oddly, some cars do not have the default settings (this came up with other settings as well).

In your manual on page 226:

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
50 Posts
MikeKravitz, did you factor in that the headlights may not automatically come on during the day because of the day/light sensor?... meaning that, if no rain, your headlights only go on when it senses that it is night time (or dark out)? But I’m sure you’re assuming and asking about the actual headlights turning on automatically even if it’s day/light outside.

I can’t fully speak from the experience because I don’t technically own an Ascent yet but as for my Honda CR-V with auto-Lights, it only comes on at night... daytime running lights only while it senses sun/light out.

I assume in your situation, the headlights would only come on automatically along with autowipers while raining at a darker time of the day/night.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Headlights come on during the day with wipers on.

Auto wipers when headlight linked will turn on the wipers after a few seconds of wiper activity. That means that the headlights won't turn on for 3 seconds of wiping.

So, my notes and the manual address all aspects of this. ;)

IF your headlights are not working as I and the manual indicates, then your wiper stalk may be defective. I've seen one other such situation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Headlight activation during wiper use is a day-time feature.This is proven out by taking the wiper stalk out of the AUTO position and changing it to either the LO or HI position. After a short delay the headlights turn on. Even in bright sunlight.

I assume this feature came about after some states made headlight use when raining a legal requirement.

MikeKravitz, did you factor in that the headlights may not automatically come on during the day because of the day/light sensor?... meaning that, if no rain, your headlights only go on when it senses that it is night time (or dark out)? But I’m sure you’re assuming and asking about the actual headlights turning on automatically even if it’s day/light outside.

I can’t fully speak from the experience because I don’t technically own an Ascent yet but as for my Honda CR-V with auto-Lights, it only comes on at night... daytime running lights only while it senses sun/light out.

I assume in your situation, the headlights would only come on automatically along with autowipers while raining at a darker time of the day/night.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The manual does not indicate that this feature will work or will not work with the wipers in the AUTO position. I don't believe there is a malfunction. As I stated initially, I think this is a Subaru oversight. I just brought it up to see if anybody else observed this condition.

Headlights come on during the day with wipers on.

Auto wipers when headlight linked will turn on the wipers after a few seconds of wiper activity. That means that the headlights won't turn on for 3 seconds of wiping.

So, my notes and the manual address all aspects of this. ;)

IF your headlights are not working as I and the manual indicates, then your wiper stalk may be defective. I've seen one other such situation.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The manual does not indicate that this feature will work or will not work with the wipers in the AUTO position. I don't believe there is a malfunction. As I stated initially, I think this is a Subaru oversight. I just brought it up to see if anybody else observed this condition.
The manual does cover it. Alas, when the forum was upgraded, the image of the manual page I posted disappeared.

If your lights are not turning on after the auto wipers are on for 20-30 seconds, then there's a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Mine works perfectly...Auto and Auto 100% of the time. In fact, it worked perfectly about an hour ago when a brief deluge hit while I was driving to the local True Value store.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all that responded. Jim and Ncnuke have both confirmed that with both switches in auto the headlights will come on. Next day-time rain I'll take the car out and test it again. If it fails to work I'll schedule a visit with service. And as Robert indicated in his earlier post it is a dealer accessible setting. I've printed page 29 so that the dealer knows what to do.

Thanks again to all.

My Touring also works flawlessly. Headlights definitely come on when wipers automatically come on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m a Subaru employee, as well as an Ascent Touring owner. The Auto headlight and Auto wipers do work in conjunction together. If yours are not, then there is a defect on your vehicle. I would just address it on your next oil change.
My previous vehicle was an 18 Outback 3.6R Touring. Under the vehicle settings, it did have the option to have the headlights turn on anytime you use the wiper.
On the Ascent Touring it’s automatic.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts