Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring 2018 Outback 3.6R ( Retired)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been reading a lot of comments and questions about the 20" wheels and tire upgrades over here and it is definitely overwhelming and wanted your opinion on what I am about to upgrade. If you have any recommendations / concerns it will be much appreciated.

I am looking to buy the following for my Ascent in Magnetite Gray which I'm picking up from the dealer end of this week,
Mostly highway driving, some light trail and off-roading thus the all terrain tires choice. Will be installing skid plates in a few months and will not lift the car.

1- Wheel Upgrade:

BLACK RHINO
ARCHES
SEMI GLOSS BLACK
1880ACH305114B76:
Size: 18x8
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Offset: 30
Back Spacing: 5.680
Load: 2000
Bore:76.1

2- Tires Upgrade:

TerrainContact™ A/T
Load Index 105 2039 LBS
Speed Rating H 130 MPH
Tread Wear 680
Traction A
Temperature A
Approved Rim Width (7.0 - 8.5)

Using the tire size calculator, I ended up with the same outer diameter as the OEM Tires on the 20" wheels but I gained about 20% in Side Wall and now can use the above all terrain tires.

-My main concern is about the offset and backspacing, is the 30mm in the wheels I selected an issue?
-Did I oversee anything that could cause any problems?
-Since outer diameter is the same, do I still need to change the spare wheel or the stock one will be sufficient and will not cause issues to the AWD?

Thanks for your input in advance and looking forward to sharing photos of the upgrades soon.
Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Hi All,

Been reading a lot of comments and questions about the 20" wheels and tire upgrades over here and it is definitely overwhelming and wanted your opinion on what I am about to upgrade. If you have any recommendations / concerns it will be much appreciated.

I am looking to buy the following for my Ascent in Magnetite Gray which I'm picking up from the dealer end of this week,
Mostly highway driving, some light trail and off-roading thus the all terrain tires choice. Will be installing skid plates in a few months and will not lift the car.

1- Wheel Upgrade:

BLACK RHINO
ARCHES
SEMI GLOSS BLACK
1880ACH305114B76:
Size: 18x8
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Offset: 30
Back Spacing: 5.680
Load: 2000
Bore:76.1

2- Tires Upgrade:

TerrainContact™ A/T
Load Index 105 2039 LBS
Speed Rating H 130 MPH
Tread Wear 680
Traction A
Temperature A
Approved Rim Width (7.0 - 8.5)

Using the tire size calculator, I ended up with the same outer diameter as the OEM Tires on the 20" wheels but I gained about 20% in Side Wall and now can use the above all terrain tires.

-My main concern is about the offset and backspacing, is the 30mm in the wheels I selected an issue?
-Did I oversee anything that could cause any problems?
-Since outer diameter is the same, do I still need to change the spare wheel or the stock one will be sufficient and will not cause issues to the AWD?

Thanks for your input in advance and looking forward to sharing photos of the upgrades soon.
Have a great weekend everyone.
The falken Wildpeaks AT 20" are great tires and can be bought at Discount Tire or your dealer. I just installed mine and like them. Great reviews. Not loud. Nice look. I have road hazard on them through dealer. I have same use profile as you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The falken Wildpeaks AT 20" are great tires and can be bought at Discount Tire or your dealer. I just installed mine and like them. Great reviews. Not loud. Nice look. I have road hazard on them through dealer. I have same use profile as you.

[/URL][/URL]
Have you changed the wheels or used the OEM?

I like these tires and the reviews are really good.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Have you changed the wheels or used the OEM?

I like these tires and the reviews are really good.
OEM was used. No need to rework wheels or anything else. Plug and play approach. Great value. I get free rotations, air checks and road hazard. I got them through my dealer who beat the Discount tire pricing due to a special sale that I simply could not ignore. I had to wait a few days for them to get them in. This dealership gets them through Tire Rack.

All my other tires are through Discount Tire who does a great job with great pricing.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
If you're doing more extreme stuff, 18" wheels would be better suited. But for trails and sand and such, personally, I wouldn't go with the hassle of swapping to a different wheel.

Regardless, 30mm is pretty far towards outside the wheel well. I'd look for something closer to the stock 55mm than that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OEM was used. No need to rework wheels or anything else. Plug and play approach. Great value. I get free rotations, air checks and road hazard. I got them through my dealer who beat the Discount tire pricing due to a special sale that I simply could not ignore. I had to wait a few days for them to get them in. This dealership gets them through Tire Rack.

All my other tires are through Discount Tire who does a great job with great pricing.
I will check with my dealer for the tire prices hopefully they can give a good discount.

You sold me on the Wildpeaks!!

I might still go with a wheel change for aesthetic more aggressive looks or take the OEM wheels to be hydro-dipped or plasti-dipped.

Thanks for your recommendation :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're doing more extreme stuff, 18" wheels would be better suited. But for trails and sand and such, personally, I wouldn't go with the hassle of swapping to a different wheel.

Regardless, 30mm is pretty far towards outside the wheel well. I'd look for something closer to the stock 55mm than that.
After @packout recommended the Wildpeaks, I see no reason for me to go down to 18" since I do not do extreme.

I might still do a wheel change for a more aggressive aesthetic. Most of the wheels I find are between 38-40 offsets with a load range of 1650 to 2000 and 8-8.5 width, do you think these parameters are safe to work with ?

Thanks !

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
After @packout recommended the Wildpeaks, I see no reason for me to go down to 18" since I do not do extreme.

I might still do a wheel change for a more aggressive aesthetic. Most of the wheels I find are between 38-40 offsets with a load range of 1650 to 2000 and 8-8.5 width, do you think these parameters are safe to work with ?

Thanks !
I'd shoot for 1,800+ pound load rating, to maintain the proper safety margin of at least 10% over the highest static load. As for offsets, the recommendation is 55, but, people have successfully run 40 upwards towards 55. YMMV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,
What is you’re recommended inflation on the wildpeaks ? (20” - touring - stock wheels)

After the powder coating I went to the Costco tire shop for balancing and they did a decent job.

They set tire pressure to 36-39PSI
While on my road trip (110degF / Highway / Nevada ) my TPMs registered a max of 42psi
Should I be concerned?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Hi all,
What is you’re recommended inflation on the wildpeaks ? (20” - touring - stock wheels)

After the powder coating I went to the Costco tire shop for balancing and they did a decent job.

They set tire pressure to 36-39PSI
While on my road trip (110degF / Highway / Nevada ) my TPMs registered a max of 42psi
Should I be concerned?
Thanks!
Stock size? If so, that's correct, and that's based off a gazillion page email discussion with one of Falken's product managers, where we worked out max loads and psi required for weight plus industry safety margin.

No less than 36 psi on the Wildpeak AT Trails, 37-39 psi ideal for a little stiffer.

Tire pressures are to be read at cold temperatures. It's expected they will increase when the tires heat up. Seeing 42 psi when hot is fine.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Stock size? If so, that's correct, and that's based off a gazillion page email discussion with one of Falken's product managers, where we worked out max loads and psi required for weight plus industry safety margin.

No less than 36 psi on the Wildpeak AT Trails, 37-39 psi ideal for a little stiffer.

Tire pressures are to be read at cold temperatures. It's expected they will increase when the tires heat up. Seeing 42 psi when hot is fine.
Without having read that email tome I am curious how that gets reconciled with Subaru 33lbs at cold

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Without having read that email tome I am curious how that gets reconciled with Subaru 33lbs at cold
Different tire. Inflation is based on the load range and carrying capacity of the tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yes, 20” wheels and Falkon tires matching the stock tires .

Thank you for your speedy response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts