Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the 2019 Ascent with 30,000 miles, only 2 years old. Our stock tires, I believe the Falken, are going bald, according to dealer 3/32 depth. We are leasing the car for 3.5 years. Should we ride it out with these tires or should they be replaced. What tires do you all recommend? Is it normal for these tires to wear out this quickly?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
At that rate of wear, you'll never make it to the 3.5 year mark on those tires. If you did, I think you'd be charged for bald tires anyway. I would definitely replace them. Even inexpensive new tires will be far safer for you and your family than the worn-out Falkens. (Yes, 30k miles is within the range of "expected life" from these tires.)

·
Administrator
787 Posts
Congratulations on your first post @chiricogiuseppe,

I concur with ^^^^ you will not safely make it to the end of your lease before needing to replace the tires, especially for your region.

Your tires are within the range of needing to be replaced for an OEM tire. 28k - 33k miles is the average mileage seen on OEM Subaru spec'd tires.

Our forum vendor @Discount Tire, can help you with picking an appropriate tire for you. Even though they do not have a retail center near you. They can definitely ship you a wheel/tire combo to you, if you go that route...

C.

·
Administrator
787 Posts
You may wish to take a look at the forum classifieds section too.... You may find a deal local to you. ;)

C.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I agree you'd be pushing your luck with those tires. Especially if you live in an area with winter weather.
I have a friend who, when he leases a car for 3 years or longer, He immediately takes the car and puts a set of new tires on it that he likes better on the car, and saves the OEs for when he's done with the lease. At least that way he says he knows he has a set of tires on the car that he likes, and are less expensive than replacing the OEs, which he can just put back on when he trades the car in or if he burns through his aftermarket tires before the end of the lease. I've never leased, so I can't speak for the financial validity of his methods, but he leases both his cars and has been doing that for years. On some levels it does make sense.

I replaced all four of my Falkens at 3,500 total miles after I got a nail in one of them with general altimax tires, and since I put the generals on the car, it handles better, gets better wet traction, and gets better gas mileage. I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't have experience with them, and if it wasn't cheaper than replacing the falkens, but I am now glad I did because it has changed the car for the better, so maybe my buddy is in fact on to something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have the 2019 Ascent with 30,000 miles, only 2 years old. Our stock tires, I believe the Falken, are going bald, according to dealer 3/32 depth. We are leasing the car for 3.5 years. Should we ride it out with these tires or should they be replaced. What tires do you all recommend? Is it normal for these tires to wear out this quickly?

Here in Canada a lease return must have at least 5/32" of tread when returning the vehicle or the leasee will be charged for a new set of tires.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I think especially on those tires with that tread pattern, it's time for a change to something with some tread, lol. I second @Discount Tire - they've taken care of me since I bought my 2010 Outback in 2013... and as those who know how many gazillion miles I drive can attest to, that's a lot of tires.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Assuming you have 20" wheels, I would be willing to sell you my under 5K miles of use take offs. They are just sitting in my garage. Make an offer which covers shipping from 98038.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts