Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is more of a rumble or warble, and it is subtle until it isn't. Do you think it is under TSB 05-71-19R? it fits the description, but my warranty JUST ran out. @Robert.Mauro, what would you recommend in this instance? Pay for extended warranty, or pay to get the repair done outright?
Thank you so much. This is a huge help. Subaru will be doing a diagnostic on my car on July 5th. I cannot thank you enough for this. I have owned every Subaru out there except the BRZ and Brat (Brat Is on my bucket list) and never had anything like this. I wonder if the car is too heavy for the parts.????

I will update once Subaru gives me their diagnosis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 ascent, and I drive about 10 miles A-day off road. I have had my left strut replaced, that did not fix it and then they replaced some "bearing " This all took me 4 trips to the dealership between diagnosing replacing diagnosing replacing.. Now the right side is doing it as well, and they won't order the parts until they see the car, so probably 3 appointments to get this one fixed. It is extremely easy to hear the sound when going down a dirt road, I guess when the suspension is bouncing.,any pot hole other bump will also make noise. First one At about 14000, right side at about 15000.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Mine is more of a rumble or warble, and it is subtle until it isn't. Do you think it is under TSB 05-71-19R? it fits the description, but my warranty JUST ran out. @Robert.Mauro, what would you recommend in this instance? Pay for extended warranty, or pay to get the repair done outright?
If at or near the same price, personally, I'd get the Subaru Gold Plus plan. It confers all sorts of other benefits, such as trip interruption reimbursement (up to $500 if you get stuck overnight more than 50 miles from home).
I got it when I bought my car from @Liberty Subaru.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
I have had my left strut replaced, that did not fix it and then they replaced some "bearing "
Top had bearing probably (aka "strut mount bearing", aka other names).

so probably 3 appointments to get this one fixed.
I am hoping it's a lot less painful this time. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If at or near the same price, personally, I'd get the Subaru Gold Plus plan. It confers all sorts of other benefits, such as trip interruption reimbursement (up to $500 if you get stuck overnight more than 50 miles from home).
I got it when I bought my car from @Liberty Subaru.
Thankfully, it appears the dealership is going to use a TSB I handed them to claim on this. They are waiting for the replacement struts, and I am hopeful this will fix the issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is a TSB?

I had to pay $150 for a diagnosis. I am an extended warranty holder.

Took my ascent to the dealership today. I though it was a strut problem but they are thinking its a transmission slip.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin which is typically issued when there is an identified issue or problem in some vehicles, but not something that is a recall. TSBs are typically performed for free during the OEM warranty period but may cost money post warranty. However, if you have the Subaru Added Security Gold Plus extended service contract, I would push hard for both the diagnosis and remedy, if any, to be at no cost to you. If you have a third party contract...you may have to pay.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
What is a TSB?

I had to pay $150 for a diagnosis. I am an extended warranty holder.

Took my ascent to the dealership today. I though it was a strut problem but they are thinking its a transmission slip.
is your vehicle part of the latest Ascent recall? If so, the dealer should be completing the recall protocol to determine if the cvt will get reprogrammed or replaced. My 2019 cvt is getting replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Needing assistance and guidance. I am having the exact same issue everyone is complaining about. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent. I am he original owner. It now has 43,000 miles on it and struts, strut mounts, etc. are no longer under warranty. Nobody can identify if I need just the strut mount repaired or the whole assembly. The problem is, because the car is newer there is no aftermarket part I can use and Subaru does not make a full assembly. The parts would need to be bought individually. Does anyone on here know if everything needs to be changed or if it was only a strut mount issue? The sound is getting drastically worse by the day and I don’t want to cause extra wear and tear. I love the car more than anything I have ever owned but this is frustrating.

We leased a 2019 Ascent Limited and liked it so much we purchased our first Subaru. At 23,500 miles I was hearing a creaking noise in front end every time I entered my driveway. I was also seeing some unusual front tire wear. The dealer could not reproduce the creaking noise and could see no odd tire wear, but said they did put a little air in some tires. I monitor the tire pressure at all times and keep within 1 lb of 33 psi.

At 23,995 miles I noticed the left front tire was completely worn smooth on the inside 1/3 of the tread and the creaking noise had changed to a metal on metal clunking noise and was quite obvious. I had to replace the OEM tires. The dealer said the alignment was still good but the camber was no longer adjustable on the Asent. They replaced the front strut and the noise disappeared and the tire wear problem seems to be gone. I was not able to get a good answer on how the camber problem was corrected. Everything was good after the repair and I was enjoying the Ascent again.

The car was out of warranty time wise and at 28,400 miles front end noise had become apparent again but was a harsher metal to metal noise this time even on small road depressions. Again, the tech could not detect the noise so I took the tech for a ride and he heard it loud and clear 2 blocks from the dealership. I was told both front struts were leaking oil. They replaced the left front strut, strut mount, and sway bar link and also the right front strut. The invoice says no charge and Subaru has agreed to pay for the repair on a one time only basis as customer good will. After the repair the car was a pleasure to drive and very quiet but.………not for long.

It is now 4 months later and at 30,200 miles. A slight metal to metal noise had recently been detected again but was only slight and a bit difficult to describe what type road conditions would duplicate the noise. We took a 160 mile, mostly interstate highway, trip last week. There is a bad 20-25 mile section which they are about to resurface, but nothing bad enough to slow 70 mph traffic. In that 20-25 mile distance the noise went from a slight to a chronic and very loud metal on metal noise condition. Now it is detectible on the slightest road seams and we are not driving it until the dealer can look at it again. This will be the third repair on the front suspension and possibly it will be at my expense.

This is our first Subaru and we have been very pleased with it and had no other problems with it accept for this very annoying front suspension issue. Has my dealer missed something or are there real issues with the Ascent front suspension? Any suggestions.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Have the front bushings been replaced? I'd start there next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We leased a 2019 Ascent Limited and liked it so much we purchased our first Subaru. At 23,500 miles I was hearing a creaking noise in front end every time I entered my driveway. I was also seeing some unusual front tire wear. The dealer could not reproduce the creaking noise and could see no odd tire wear, but said they did put a little air in some tires. I monitor the tire pressure at all times and keep within 1 lb of 33 psi.

At 23,995 miles I noticed the left front tire was completely worn smooth on the inside 1/3 of the tread and the creaking noise had changed to a metal on metal clunking noise and was quite obvious. I had to replace the OEM tires. The dealer said the alignment was still good but the camber was no longer adjustable on the Asent. They replaced the front strut and the noise disappeared and the tire wear problem seems to be gone. I was not able to get a good answer on how the camber problem was corrected. Everything was good after the repair and I was enjoying the Ascent again.

The car was out of warranty time wise and at 28,400 miles front end noise had become apparent again but was a harsher metal to metal noise this time even on small road depressions. Again, the tech could not detect the noise so I took the tech for a ride and he heard it loud and clear 2 blocks from the dealership. I was told both front struts were leaking oil. They replaced the left front strut, strut mount, and sway bar link and also the right front strut. The invoice says no charge and Subaru has agreed to pay for the repair on a one time only basis as customer good will. After the repair the car was a pleasure to drive and very quiet but.………not for long.

It is now 4 months later and at 30,200 miles. A slight metal to metal noise had recently been detected again but was only slight and a bit difficult to describe what type road conditions would duplicate the noise. We took a 160 mile, mostly interstate highway, trip last week. There is a bad 20-25 mile section which they are about to resurface, but nothing bad enough to slow 70 mph traffic. In that 20-25 mile distance the noise went from a slight to a chronic and very loud metal on metal noise condition. Now it is detectible on the slightest road seams and we are not driving it until the dealer can look at it again. This will be the third repair on the front suspension and possibly it will be at my expense.

This is our first Subaru and we have been very pleased with it and had no other problems with it accept for this very annoying front suspension issue. Has my dealer missed something or are there real issues with the Ascent front suspension? Any suggestions.
Have not yet found a satisfying remedy to the front end noise so many are talking about. We have a 2020 Ascent which began making the "clunk" prior to 20k miles. We are still under warranty, and during a scheduled service, we informed the dealership service department. They came back with the rear license plate trim being loose. To me, this was obviously not the problem.

Like many others report, our clunk occurred over bumps, and predominantly in left turns over bumps, and seemed to come from the front passenger suspension or wheel area unless you were sitting in the passenger seat. Then it might seem to come from the driver's side.

The noise continued, and increased, after the first mention of it to the dealership. Upon our next scheduled service, I was a bit more vehement about it, and offered to ride with a technician. They declined that, but this time reported that the problem was in the right front strut bushing, which they replaced. Initially, the noise seemed to be gone, or at least greatly lessened in intensity and frequency. Now, however, it is beginning to return.

Searching these threads so far, I haven't come across any definitive explanation/remedy to a problem so many are describing so similarly. If I have missed it, I hope someone will point it out in a reply here.

Otherwise we're happy with our Ascent! Third Subaru

61 - 72 of 72 Posts