Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
43 Posts
Good Idea. My dealer is in a Cherry Hill right by SOA HQ.
Tech was unable to recreate the sound. I will be going back to drive it with the technician to make it happen for them. I also provided them with the spring TSB. Service rep said they may be recalling them soon or something.

Other than that they did a front brake and rotor replacement under warranty at 14K miles due to warping and pedal vibration.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
43 Posts
Bringing my 2020 in again for an alignment and told them that it is still having the clunking issue when turning left and putting weight on the front right strut. I am going to try to ride with a tech and force him to hear it if I can. If not I am going to escalate to SOA. Don’t want to keep dropping it off for a full day for them to not find it. I told them driving it on smoothly paved roads isn’t going to help them find it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
43 Posts
So just got the car back and they still couldn’t make the noise in the front right. They drove the car for 9 miles and the lead tech did as well. I drove it 10 mins home and was able to make it do it twice. I guess my only option is to drive the tech and make him hear it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Im having this same issue where the dealer of course can’t replicate the noise. 30 minutes away, and have now been there twice, but I can make the noise happen in a matter of minutes. I’ll request a ride along as I’m doubting they even did a thorough test drive. They said they’ll replace the struts under warranty if I want them too, but seems like they can’t hire competent mechanics to properly diagnose something and will just throw parts at it. Frustrating, wasting hours of my time on this.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,378 Posts
What does this sound...sound like? Does it sound like a "boink" rather than more of a metallic clank or pop? Ours does this when turning left and accelerating from a stop (like putting torque on the suspension). Naturally, the dealer cannot reproduce it. I'm pretty certain it's something in the spring seat or the strut bearing, and there may even be a TSB on it, but I'm not positive. I'm trying to decide whether to live with it or take it to the dealer again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine is more of a muffled clank/rattle. At times will be loud depending on speed and the road. They are replacing the struts per the tsb so hopefully that is it. Maybe they’ll take em out and find the problem, who knows.

·
Banned
244 Posts
no , when the driver side was done last week they got the car after 11;30 am and were done at 6 something. I was worried they assessed the car and "couldn't reproduce", because the car was away for days in Staten Island Subaru and that was just to change the tires, damage all the rims, and change a strut, and brakes under the tsb.
but it turns out that Subaru under the terms of the old service bulletin paid 2 hours for one side, and 2.4 for two. so if there are two visits the 2.,4 hours goes to 4 hours . just sucks for us suckers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
Installing two struts simultaneously likely reduces the time substantially overall relative to labor. Hence, the lower labor factor for the warranty work dealer to do two at the same time. So yes, by splitting it into two sessions, the dealer service department may make more money, but they are also doing "the same labor" that's require to prepare for strut replacement twice rather than one. But as an independent business they can do that if they choose.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there’s any recall for this strut issue? Because after two months (July 2020) when I got this unit (subaru ascent) my strut was broken, then they replace it and same side (right front) again broken (Dec 2021). They mush have to change this poorly build strut to another type new and stronger one not just to replace the same strut.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts

·
Banned
244 Posts
It may be more widespread than it would appear. The bottom line is that the original strut in my car had A bottom which the later iteration of the strut made bigger, because the spring was wider than the base. As the strut prematurely wears, the spring begins to hit the base. At 32000 miles, both sides were hitting. I’ll try to find a pic of what I’m talking about. Ok I deleted them why? Because both sides are new now. So if you have the original struts ( talking about a 2019 ascent touring only don’t know about any others) look above the front wheel and you will notice that them spring quickly gets wider than the base of the strut that holds the spring. When it flexes a lot as in worn out, it will hit. That’s the noise. Plus the top strut bearings were worn out by 32 k

one of the problems of fixing only one side is that the new strut design holds the spring at a different angle than the other side and this is going to cause a resonance in the suspension. Like waves. when only one side is fixed, the springs are different, the struts are different, and therefore the springs will have differing oscillations. Wait isn’t that hookes law? So how could they possible only fix one side?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Ltd. / 2022 BRZ Ltd.
123 Posts
I had to replace the top bearing of the right strut on my 2017 BRZ with less than 15,000 miles. It was generally quiet with a knocking/popping sound turning hard right at low speed. After doing a bunch of research, this seems to be an issue across a wide range of manufacturers. A number of my Honda friends had similar problems on low mileage cars. To date, my Ascent has been good in the squeak and rattle department. Where does Subaru source the suspension parts; subcontractor or in-house? Remember, Takata plagued just about everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wife's 2019 Ascent developed a "ratlle" noise when driven at low speeds (15 - 30 MPH) over cracks in the road or bridge expanison joints at about 27,000 miles. As it became louder and louder over time, I took it in to the dealership and had the service manager ride with me to confirm the noise - he heard it in the front and rear of the vehicle and arranged to have the springs, bearings, lock nuts, etc (everything except the shock) repalced on all four struts. Drove it off the lot and the noise remains, but is less notieable. Still I am taking it back for another attempt to correct the issue. I wonder if it oculd have something to do wtih the shock as it seems that is the component that was not replaced. It'll be a week or so before anything can be down at the dealership due to Omicron hitting their service department hard.

More to come...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Needing assistance and guidance. I am having the exact same issue everyone is complaining about. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent. I am he original owner. It now has 43,000 miles on it and struts, strut mounts, etc. are no longer under warranty. Nobody can identify if I need just the strut mount repaired or the whole assembly. The problem is, because the car is newer there is no aftermarket part I can use and Subaru does not make a full assembly. The parts would need to be bought individually. Does anyone on here know if everything needs to be changed or if it was only a strut mount issue? The sound is getting drastically worse by the day and I don’t want to cause extra wear and tear. I love the car more than anything I have ever owned but this is frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The wife's 2019 Ascent developed a "ratlle" noise when driven at low speeds (15 - 30 MPH) over cracks in the road or bridge expanison joints at about 27,000 miles. As it became louder and louder over time, I took it in to the dealership and had the service manager ride with me to confirm the noise - he heard it in the front and rear of the vehicle and arranged to have the springs, bearings, lock nuts, etc (everything except the shock) repalced on all four struts. Drove it off the lot and the noise remains, but is less notieable. Still I am taking it back for another attempt to correct the issue. I wonder if it oculd have something to do wtih the shock as it seems that is the component that was not replaced. It'll be a week or so before anything can be down at the dealership due to Omicron hitting their service department hard.

More to come...
Any update?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is more of a rumble or warble, and it is subtle until it isn't. Do you think it is under TSB 05-71-19R? it fits the description, but my warranty JUST ran out. @Robert.Mauro, what would you recommend in this instance? Pay for extended warranty, or pay to get the repair done outright?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts