Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In various posts on this site, there are references to an issue with the Ascent's struts -- particularly the right front strut. But I didn't see a thread with "struts" in the title to make a search easier. If I overlooked it, I'm sorry, but perhaps this subject heading will allow any strut-related issues to be found in one place, as I believe (from several reports in this forum) there could be a production issue with the Ascent's struts.

My wife and I both have new Ascents (Touring). Her's has been fine, but after only about 800 miles, mine started making a noise that sounded like two, 2-liter empty plastic bottles being knocked together. Others on other posts have referred to the noise as a "clunking" sound. At first, the sound was faint and seldom. Eventually, it grew louder and occurred more often. I Googled "Ascent problems" and came across a couple of posts on this forum, which helped me verify a similar sound coming from the passenger side (right front). Like other owners, the sound I head occurred only at slow maneuvering, such as backing up and turning to back out of the driveway or turning into the driveway. Eventually, it increased in frequency and sound level, especially in parking lots when driving into or out of a parking spot -- only at low speeds and only with slight turning.

I took my car to the dealership last week, and mentioned that I had read about a possible strut issue and that I understood there might be a technical bulletin on it (both tidbits gleaned from this helpful site). The technician rode with me around the parking lot and immediately heard and diagnosed the noise as the right, front strut. He said he was familiar with the sound from other Subarus and when their struts failed (after many miles). They ordered the strut and another part, which took only two days to arrive, and the replacement service only took about 1.5 hours -- all under warranty, of course. After the repair, I asked if there was anything they could see that indicated the problem, but the service manager didn't specify anything in particular. I also understand that the dealership shares its repair histories with regional reps who report any common issues to Subaru, so hopefully, this issue is coming to the attention of Subaru manufacturing and the parts supply chain.

There is no longer a sound, so it appears that was the fix. If it recurs, I will update this post, but fingers crossed ... so far, so good.

Other than that, we LOVE our Ascents. We are new to the brand. We find our Ascents to be so smooth, powerful, and responsive on the highway and around town. It's easily the most comfortable vehicle we've ever owned -- and we've owned quite a few models of various brands, both American and imports, over the past 45 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We also have a clunking in the right front strut that only occurs when slowly negotiating a hard left in the local highway. I took it to our dealer and they cannot reproduce the issue. I guess I'll wait for it to become apparent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Touring made those same sounds for the first 1000 miles or so. Every stop as the car came to a stop and kind of rebounded off the suspension would make the "thunk" as I called it. I now have 3700 miles and will have to say I've not heard it for quite some time. Reading the above post reminded me of it. I do have it on my list of things to discuss with the dealer, when it goes in for it's first service.

The thing to remember in today's world-- "No one fixes anything anymore, they simply replace the parts."

·
Registered
61 Posts
ours was one of the first strut posts i think. we had the left one replaced (even though we said we heard the noise from the right side), and the noise came back. then the right one was replaced. noise came back but not as bad. before i could reproduce the noise in a variety of conditions. now it would be much harder, so that is great until we hear it. always now if it happens it is downhill, going left. before the last replacement the noise was every time we drove anywhere. now it is once every two weeks, so not at a level that i am worried about it.

it is no longer a clunk. it is a warble.

there is another theory to throw out there. i dismissed it when my wife first suggested she it. she asked if we were hearing the warble, after our second replacement, coming from the right side of our sunroof. i started to listen to the roof area and realized it was hard to tell if it was coming from low or high. we have one downhill road with curves that we have always heard it most. so about three weeks ago i went up and down a few times recording the sound. then i opened the sunroof and tried again and the noise went away.

SOA is very on top of it with us, very helpful, and calling for updates. We are too busy to take it in for a third time right now and are waiting anyway to see if it gets worse or not.

Both times we brought it in the service dept was able to reproduce the noise. i think it is way to inconsistent for them to hear it this time, and it is less of a worrisome clunking noise as it was before.

the one consistent thing with all of the noises is they are most likely to occur going downhill and to the left (something the dealer first figured out).

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had both front struts replaced on our ascent. Same noise as everyone kind of a grinding. Took it in for 1st oil change, had a tech ride with me and he heard it. Got the car back and it's actually quiet at low speeds. They also found a leak in the air conditioning system and replaced a pipe. All is well so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took mine in today for sale issue. They have ordered a new right strut and will replace under warranty once it arrives.

·
Registered
19 Posts
could it just maybe be that the sway bar bushings need to be properly lubricated (not just plunking lubricant on the outside of the bushings)? This may require removing the bushing, coating all of the thoroughly with lubricant, and then reinstalling?

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
could it just maybe be that the sway bar bushings need to be properly lubricated (not just plunking lubricant on the outside of the bushings)? This may require removing the bushing, coating all of the thoroughly with lubricant, and then reinstalling?
Sway bar bushings can cause a somewhat similar sound, but, in this case, there are a number of early Subaru Ascent struts where the spring is too sharp at the top (instead of rounded off) and scraping against the strut's spring top mount.

Neither of those scenarios necessarily apply to any particular individual, and everyone experiencing anything they are unhappy with should always have a Subaru mechanic diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had same passenger side strut thud and tech was able to hear it. Replaced lower control arm. Still there. Took it back and tightened all bolts an the suspension. Ultimately tightenened the rear bushing on the transmission mount and noise event away. Dealer went out of his way to find the problem. Coconut Creek Subaru great service. Never felt I was being patronized. Great Service

·
Registered
9 Posts
We recently loaded up our 2019 Touring and headed out on a 2300 mile adventure to Colorado and back to Missouri. As we arrived in Burlington Colorado for fuel (4403 miles), we noticed a rattle in the front passenger front end. It was enough to have me crawling around under the Ascent looking for the problem. It was also enough to put my wife in panic mode as she had relinquished her dependable and cherished Forrester for the new Ascent and we have NEVER had an issue with any of our other six previous Subie's. I couldn't find anything and of course it was a Sunday so no contacting the dealership. This "rattle" sounded as it something was extremely loose and the more we drove it around town, the worse it sounded. I had my mechanic son in law look it over and he said it appeared to be bad struts or a steering rack issue however he didn't see any reason to beeline to a Subaru dealership in Denver. We continued with our trip into Estes Park and the more we drove it that week, the worse the noise got. On our last day in the mountains, we started hearing it in the driver side as well. We arrived home and I contacted the dealership. I took it in for the 6k service and to address this "rattle". I advised them to drive over a rumble strip at 30 mph and you'd hear all you wanted of this noise. The tech arrived back and they've ordered the following: both front struts, two coil springs, two strut mount brackets and mount bushings. I take it back this coming Monday for the replacement. I've been told to expect a two hour wait time. I'll update once it's completed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Today was my day. Dealer (not my home dealer) replacing same parts. Current milage at 12000, been going on for awhile. They are keeping me in a loaner Ascent until fixed, about mid next week is what they think. Also turned the rotors due to some warping. Both of these are known issues. Highly impressed with this dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One month into the new struts and we no longer have any sounds or vibration. Appears to have fixed the problem. Now if we can get the passenger door wind noise nailed down, I'll be happy with our Ascent.

We recently loaded up our 2019 Touring and headed out on a 2300 mile adventure to Colorado and back to Missouri. As we arrived in Burlington Colorado for fuel (4403 miles), we noticed a rattle in the front passenger front end. It was enough to have me crawling around under the Ascent looking for the problem. It was also enough to put my wife in panic mode as she had relinquished her dependable and cherished Forrester for the new Ascent and we have NEVER had an issue with any of our other six previous Subie's. I couldn't find anything and of course it was a Sunday so no contacting the dealership. This "rattle" sounded as it something was extremely loose and the more we drove it around town, the worse it sounded. I had my mechanic son in law look it over and he said it appeared to be bad struts or a steering rack issue however he didn't see any reason to beeline to a Subaru dealership in Denver. We continued with our trip into Estes Park and the more we drove it that week, the worse the noise got. On our last day in the mountains, we started hearing it in the driver side as well. We arrived home and I contacted the dealership. I took it in for the 6k service and to address this "rattle". I advised them to drive over a rumble strip at 30 mph and you'd hear all you wanted of this noise. The tech arrived back and they've ordered the following: both front struts, two coil springs, two strut mount brackets and mount bushings. I take it back this coming Monday for the replacement. I've been told to expect a two hour wait time. I'll update once it's completed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any ‘20s having these strut problems?

is the same part # going in or did they improve/redesign the replacements?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts