Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read similar complaints regarding "loose" feeling steering. I've taken mine back to the dealer who said "everything's normal". The constant steering wheel adjustment on even a one hour trip is tedious and exhausting. I'm surprised Subaru launched the Ascent with this condition!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,539 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Mine is not like that and there have been some discussions in the "issues" forum discussion area down below where a few folks have felt this way, but it's certainly not universal.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've read similar complaints regarding "loose" feeling steering. I've taken mine back to the dealer who said "everything's normal". The constant steering wheel adjustment on even a one hour trip is tedious and exhausting. I'm surprised Subaru launched the Ascent with this condition!
The steering is has more power assist than previous subarus, but it does tighten up at speed. It is very responsive to inputs, but does not give the driver a lot of feedback in return (unlike a sports car). If everything is indeed normal, make sure that your tires are not overinflated. Subaru says to inflate the 20" tires to 33 PSI all around.

Also, if you're not familiar with the lane keep assist (LKA) feature, it's good to know what it is and what it does. You have the option to turn it off as many people don't like it.

Please don't ghost us and let us know if any of the above applies to you. If not, maybe others here may be able to provide additional input.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
I was going to comment... but @rockthebeef covered everything I was going to say. So, what he said, and what he asked. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
As I’ve stated elsewhere on the forum since joining, I also have really quick steering and it does not tighten up with higher speeds. Tires are properly inflated etc as well.

I haven’t raised the issue to Subaru yet due to a busy travel baseball schedule, but will soon.

We just got back from a cross country trek in it and the wife and I spoke about the issue often as it’s hard to drive straight at highway speeds. It truly keeps the driver on their toes! The slightest movement of the wheel will make the vehicle dart in the direction.

The fast steering is nice in the parking lot but scary at highway speeds. Anyways, I will update here after I take it in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too had the wonky feeling steering. The dealer finally did a full 4 wheel alignment and it corrected the feel by quite a bit. I would suggest you start there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today as I was driving my 2019 ascent I went off the road in a turn we take everyday. The steering wheel was turned at 90 degrees to the left and the steering didn’t react properly. The eyesight jerked a split second before starting to go off the road. As we started going off the road I veered the steering wheel farther left but continued to just go straight. Thankfully all airbags deployed and the family is safe but once out of the vehicle I noticed my tires were straight but the steering whee was just over a qtr turn left. The loose steering has been a concern since purchasing this vehicle in December, but now I’m needing to look deeper into this issue as my wife and kids were in the car and nothing seemed out of the ordinary to cause a lag in steering like this.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
The loose steering has been a concern since purchasing this vehicle in December, but now I’m needing to look deeper into this issue as my wife and kids were in the car and nothing seemed out of the ordinary to cause a lag in steering like this.
The steering is mechanically connected, so, there's no lag, ever, from the steering system design.

It sounds like something is broken.

Why did the airbags deploy?

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Deployed from the impact going off the road I assume. It was into a ditch.
Going off the road shouldn't set off the airbags. I'd be on my 20th set by now. :ROFLMAO:

After the car went off the road, did it impact something? What did Subaru of America say about everything? I am hoping your insurance company is taking care of you, since your car is a total loss.

Most importantly, I am glad your family is all OK.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
It was the side airbags that went off. I haven’t heard back from Subaru yet.
Did you by any chance take pics to document it?

What are you replacing the Ascent with?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts