Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I signed a contract for a tungsten Canadian ascent touring. The dealer said he could get the configuration we asked within 10 days.

Today he gave me the vin number and after a few research, I found out that the car has been delivered to a dealer 80 miles from here on December 12 2018. So the car has been sitting In on a lot for the last 5 months.

Do I have to worry ? It’s the exact configuration that we were looking for.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It’s a little bit concerning for American consumers since several dealer reps (all Americans) on here have repeatedly said that it’s been difficult to keep Ascent on the lot. When I was shopping around, 4/5 dealer reps in my town have said the same. I bought mine in December and supposedly they sell Limited and Touring the most.

You’re in the Canada so it might be normal that the demands for Subaru are low

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ascents sell faster than any other car right now. 5 months is a really long time. I would want to know why It has been sitting there so long. Was it a dealer demo? Does it have lots of miles on it? Was it damaged? Did it have mechanical issues that had to be resolved? How will it get from there to your dealer? Did the other dealer put their stickers all over it?

To answer your last question- You don’t have to worry but I would. I passed on another Ascent on another dealer’s lot because my dealer could not tell me anything about it other than what was on the sticker. They also planned to just drive it 100 miles from the one dealer to there’s.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
At this point in the vehicle's life, there is no reason not to be able to see documentation of its entire history. If the dealer can not or will not provide it, I not only would walk away from the vehicle, I would walk away from the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but is there anything necessarily wrong with a dealer having many Ascents on the lot? (I’m assuming-perhaps incorrectly-that they’re not mostly from the compromised build months.)

I ask because our area dealers claim an inventory of about 40, many of which are visible on their lots. I’m hoping this translates into a good deal for a 2019....

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Ascents sell faster than any other car right now. 5 months is a really long time. I would want to know why It has been sitting there so long. Was it a dealer demo? Does it have lots of miles on it? Was it damaged? Did it have mechanical issues that had to be resolved? How will it get from there to your dealer? Did the other dealer put their stickers all over it?

To answer your last question- You don’t have to worry but I would. I passed on another Ascent on another dealer’s lot because my dealer could not tell me anything about it other than what was on the sticker. They also planned to just drive it 100 miles from the one dealer to there’s.
Article backing up Robert's claim:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...car-models-selling-fast-dealerships/39183295/

·
Registered
205 Posts
Something you may not realizing. In the states tungsten in a touring isnt even allowed to be ordered because the color clashes with the interior color so badly. Maybe this is one the was produced before they stopped making them?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but is there anything necessarily wrong with a dealer having many Ascents on the lot? (I’m assuming-perhaps incorrectly-that they’re not mostly from the compromised build months.)

I ask because our area dealers claim an inventory of about 40, many of which are visible on their lots. I’m hoping this translates into a good deal for a 2019....
There are a few reasons for a car sitting on a lot longer than it should. The first is that there was an issue either mechanical or physical damage and the repairs keep it on the lot a long time. The second is that it is being used by the dealer as a loaner or a salespersons car or as the test drive mule. The third is that it is just plain not selling in which it will be test driven the most because they will be trying to push it.

For me if a car has been sitting a long time then I want to check the history and mileage to understand why it has been sitting and if it has been test driven over and over again. If you buy a car off the lot you can expect a reasonable amount of miles for a few test drives but you don't want an excessive amount.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I signed a contract for a tungsten Canadian ascent touring. The dealer said he could get the configuration we asked within 10 days.

Today he gave me the vin number and after a few research, I found out that the car has been delivered to a dealer 80 miles from here on December 12 2018. So the car has been sitting In on a lot for the last 5 months.

Do I have to worry ? It’s the exact configuration that we were looking for.

Thanks
Hey Philippe. How big of the discount you get on your Canadian Touring?
On the same car I have cost +4%. Cars is on very big demand here in Canada. I was waiting for my to be factory made for 2 month. If your car sitting on the dealer lot for 5 month it means car was not for sale for the different reasons. Check out history of that car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not the same trim

Something you may not realizing. In the states tungsten in a touring isnt even allowed to be ordered because the color clashes with the interior color so badly. Maybe this is one the was produced before they stopped making them?
US Touring = Canadian Premier
US Premium = Canadian Touring

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Philippe. How big of the discount you get on your Canadian Touring?
On the same car I have cost +4%. Cars is on very big demand here in Canada. I was waiting for my to be factory made for 2 month. If your car sitting on the dealer lot for 5 month it means car was not for sale for the different reasons. Check out history of that car.
After 4 dealers, I only got 1350 below msrp on a 36 months lease at 1.49. The price was negotiated before the color choice and we chose between colors that were avalaible in stock in dealers around Ontario and Quebec. The tungsten color was our choice and the 5 months on the lot was’nt a factor on the pricing as we were given multiple color choices. The car will be delivered on a flat bed truck.

For our American friends, the Canadian touring come with spill resistant black cloth and all the choices of exterior color

·
Registered
23 Posts
After 4 dealers, I only got 1350 below msrp on a 36 months lease at 1.49. The price was negotiated before the color choice and we chose between colors that were avalaible in stock in dealers around Ontario and Quebec. The tungsten color was our choice and the 5 months on the lot was’nt a factor on the pricing as we were given multiple color choices. The car will be delivered on a flat bed truck.

For our American friends, the Canadian touring come with spill resistant black cloth and all the choices of exterior color
As per my dealer: All 2019 models are sold out. You can only get whatever on the dealers lots. Problem is here in Ontario dealers do not share they cars. Learn’d it hard way when we was looking for our white Forester. They may trade one car to another or just give away unwanted cars. Be very careful when you accepting car from the dealership. Have some help from knowledgeable people. Print list of things to be checked. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This sounds strange to me. Very strange. I WOULD NOT take that Ascent. And there is no reason to. Whatever the reason it is there for this long, you're chances of finding out AND that there is a simple explanation is small. No reason for you to take on any percentage of risk here. *Just order a new, 2020 Ascent*. ALSO - There will have been many small but important "fixes" put into place, since that Ascent had been built, perhaps as long as 8 months ago or so. Don't undervalue yourself or your hard earned money. It's the "Fresh" principle. If you go to the store to buy some prepared food after work, for dinner and they offer to sell you things that were clearly made and put out at 10 am and have been sitting there all day - would you buy that for you or your family?? I hope not. I also hope that you would take note that it is even trying to be sold to you! You would walk away. I would walk (or run) away from the purchase/lease of this particular vehicle being offered to you. My.02 cents. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.