Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While driving home from work a car merging onto the highway went from the far right lane all the way across into my lane(far left lane which is 3 lanes away from him) my auto braking alerted me as I honked at the car. he pretty much came to a full stop and so did my car and I was about an 1inch away from his bumper. Thank God no one was behind. Grateful for eyesight. On the ride home my brakes were creaking a bit which got me worried. But I just took it for a little test drive after it cooled down and it went away

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Glad you're safe and thanks for sharing your story!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why did he come to a full stop after cutting across 3 lanes of traffic!?!?

Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why did he come to a full stop after cutting across 3 lanes of traffic!?!?
The only plausible answer I came up with was that when I honked he got scared and reacted wrong. Im just confused as to how he did not see me, the lights on the ascent are decently bright

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Jersey Slide

In this part of the country we call that "The Jersey Slide" although normally you would perform the maneuver from the left lane across multiple lanes to the exit.

All apart of the normal commute in the Northeast! :tango_face_wink:

Glad it ended safely for you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Ascent is taller than the Outback (my last vehicle) so I wonder about the reaction time for the Eyesight.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Ascent is taller than the Outback (my last vehicle) so I wonder about the reaction time for the Eyesight.
(I'm simplifying this a lot) Eyesight uses two cameras to record a stereoscopic image that the computer uses to create a 3D image to judge distance, so I don't see a situation where the height of the camera would make a difference.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's awesome! Glad to see it work in real life situations.

On another note, the other day I was backing up into a parking stall and there was a bush behind me, well, the Ascent's RAB automatically stopped me from hitting it! pretty awesome but at the same time I wish it wasn't that sensitive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's awesome! Glad to see it work in real life situations.

On another note, the other day I was backing up into a parking stall and there was a bush behind me, well, the Ascent's RAB automatically stopped me from hitting it! pretty awesome but at the same time I wish it wasn't that sensitive.

It stopped me from backing into my husband's truck in our drive way...:tango_face_surprise

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
965 Posts
(I'm simplifying this a lot) Eyesight uses two cameras to record a stereoscopic image that the computer uses to create a 3D image to judge distance, so I don't see a situation where the height of the camera would make a difference.
Following a lowboy that doesn't have anything on it or empty landscape trailer or other car hauler type.

Since we do a LOT of lifts on cars here, we've had to have this discussion with engineers, because we're raising the cars 2". This is also when we as the sales staff make sure that our customers know that Eyesight is a driver ASSIST system, NOT a driver REPLACEMENT system. Mind you, this exact scenario is covered and mentioned (complete with picture) in the Eyesight Owners Manual, where the cameras may not see the trailer and may be seeing the back of the cab.

Here's the brief (okay, not so brief) explanation about Adaptive cruise control, and physics IS involved.

At 60 mph, you're going 88 ft/sec. At four bars, Eyesight gives you approximately 2.2 seconds, so call it 195 feet of following distance, at one bar, about 1.1 seconds, so 95 feet.
At 30 mph, you're going 44 ft/sec. So again with four bars, you're about 95 feet behind what it sees. At one bar, you're about 50 feet back. And if you're following a standard 53' lowboy trailer (box trailers are normally 52' long, lowboys are slightly longer), you have now smacked into his trailer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Following a lowboy that doesn't have anything on it or empty landscape trailer or other car hauler type.

Since we do a LOT of lifts on cars here, we've had to have this discussion with engineers, because we're raising the cars 2". This is also when we as the sales staff make sure that our customers know that Eyesight is a driver ASSIST system, NOT a driver REPLACEMENT system. Mind you, this exact scenario is covered and mentioned (complete with picture) in the Eyesight Owners Manual, where the cameras may not see the trailer and may be seeing the back of the cab.

Here's the brief (okay, not so brief) explanation about Adaptive cruise control, and physics IS involved.

At 60 mph, you're going 88 ft/sec. At four bars, Eyesight gives you approximately 2.2 seconds, so call it 195 feet of following distance, at one bar, about 1.1 seconds, so 95 feet.
At 30 mph, you're going 44 ft/sec. So again with four bars, you're about 95 feet behind what it sees. At one bar, you're about 50 feet back. And if you're following a standard 53' lowboy trailer (box trailers are normally 52' long, lowboys are slightly longer), you have now smacked into his trailer.
I can certainly see it having effect on a lifted vehicle, but I'd think that the higher camera placement would have been addressed when designing the Ascent.

Good point however, on the lowboys. We don't typically see them often down here in the south east so I didn't even consider it...but...I do recall seeing a ton of them AR/OK/TX/NM last time I did a cross country though (side note: I do not recommend anyone ever drive from Norfolk, VA to LA)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I can certainly see it having effect on a lifted vehicle, but I'd think that the higher camera placement would have been addressed when designing the Ascent.

Good point however, on the lowboys. We don't typically see them often down here in the south east so I didn't even consider it...but...I do recall seeing a ton of them AR/OK/TX/NM last time I did a cross country though (side note: I do not recommend anyone ever drive from Norfolk, VA to LA)
With the sheer volume of road construction we have going on here, there are always things that happen ... like the guy with the lowboy hauling the manlift that sort of forgot to put the boom down. And then had it lowered FOR him ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts