Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my wife and I really like the drive feel of the Ascent. But from what I read on this forum, there are major transmission issues seems like. My understanding the 2.4T is the first engine on a large vehicle like this, unlink the 3.6R. Should we be concerned about Ascent's reliability, especially major items like the transmission? I had my last 1998 Outback for 10 years. But with CVT, it seems it won't last nearly as long, maybe 5+? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,160 Posts
Judging reliability from Internet forums is going to give you a very skewed view...for ANY vehicle. Yes, a few folks have had issues and they tend to be vocal about it. That's normal. The majority of people have not experienced major problems but they are off driving with a smile on their faces rather than praising their ride online.

For the record, I'm 100% satisfied with my Ascent to-date relative to performance and reliability, but I'm only at 1300 miles. That will jump to about 3500 miles by the end of this month due to planned travel.

Reactions: Manfromtj

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jim! I appreciate your inputs. I am wondering if the Ascent that is having issue have had larger loads/trailer etc, which I don't think 2.4T is ready for. I appreciate your feedback and would welcome to hear your inputs if you have time later down the road. Thank you sir!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
810 Posts
I’ve got about 12,000 miles on my Limited that was built last July and purchased in September of 2018 with no problems at all. I’ll admit to whining here about minor stuff, most was caused by not being familiar with the Ascent.

This was my first CVT vehicle so I didn’t know what to expect but over all I have no complaints.

The vast majority of happy Ascent owners have never heard of this forum.

Don’t underestimate the 2.4 turbo, it will tow just fine with a OEM hitch and following the recommendations. I did an 8,000 mile road trip with it packed full of stuff across the western U.S. and the mountains were basically invisible to the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
4,160 Posts
Thank you Jim! I appreciate your inputs. I am wondering if the Ascent that is having issue have had larger loads/trailer etc, which I don't think 2.4T is ready for. I appreciate your feedback and would welcome to hear your inputs if you have time later down the road. Thank you sir!
I doubt that is the case. Like any vehicle, there are always some that have problems, especially earlier in a new vehicles' production run. Things get tweaked and then you get more into a "normal" failure cycle which is pretty much governed by Murphy's Law rather than anything bad with the technology. IE: "Stuff" happens...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hi, my wife and I really like the drive feel of the Ascent. But from what I read on this forum, there are major transmission issues seems like. My understanding the 2.4T is the first engine on a large vehicle like this, unlink the 3.6R. Should we be concerned about Ascent's reliability, especially major items like the transmission? I had my last 1998 Outback for 10 years. But with CVT, it seems it won't last nearly as long, maybe 5+? Thank you!
The specific engine, 2.4L turbo direct injection, is new because the low-end torque requirement to get off the line quickly or towing heavy load. However, the family of turbo direct injection engine was introduced in 2012, a 2.0L variant, on Forester and WRX. As a licensed engineer, I'd like to know a precise answer of how reliable these turbo direction injection engines are, but that's not practical. We know that Forester (XT model) and WRX have been very successful, and it's likely that the Ascent will be the same. Furthermore, I heard that the Ascent engines are built in Japan and get assembled here in America. When that day comes where the Ascent engines are built here in America, it can potentially be questionable. Otherwise, i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

As for the CVT, I'd love to see them succeed. I don't doubt it, I just think that Subaru could've improved the conventional auto tranny like how ZF did w/ their 8HP, while making the MPG competitive and low power loss thru the tranny.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you like it, buy it, just be sure to test drive anything else out there that interests you, it's your $$ after all, and you owe it to yourself to get what you think you will like the best. The only comment I'll add regarding the car is that I wish they would program the CVT to be more like a CVT, and less like an 8 speed auto.

The car is more than sufficient for towing 5K, and has plenty of low end torque (and a sensitive throttle, adding to the sense of thrust on takeoff).

I agree, the forums tend to attract people who have had problems ( take a look at one of my more recent posts, regarding all the issues I've had in 6 months, but I've always been fair about the car and its good things as well...), but the forum also tends to attract 'fanboys' who are loyalists- a lot of people here have commented that they will only consider Subaru, and in many cases when people voluntarily list the cars they own(ed), you'll notice they only have had Subarus, so it goes both ways.

Bottom line, it's your $$$, and if you're not comfortable with something regarding the car, look at one of the many alternatives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Trey and Percy for your inputs! They are very helpful! Good to keep that in mind about the issues that arise here but not everyone has it. So will taken that into account. Sounds like most people don't have transmission issues. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Ten thousand miles on the odometer, with several hundreds of those include towing around a 3,250 lb Jayco trailer over several Cascade Mountain passes and absolutely no issues. Matter of fact, I'm heading to Reno in 36 hours and am looking forward to it as we'll be pulling over several long uphill slogs. My primary concern deals with running into a Bigfoot on Oregon Highway 58...

·
Registered
590 Posts
We had August build date and transmission issues, but I never used the hitch the first time. In fact I “babied” the car. Haha. I really think it was a part quality issue and nothing to do with how you drove it or the load ratio.

I will say take this forum for what it’s worth and the knowledge you can gain but remember a “majority” find this by having a concern or issue and wanting to see what others have experienced or been through. Most with no issues never really comment or react because they truly don’t know what to respond with, and the ones that have experienced it are able to provide feedback. It’s a great resource, but also a great venting place. Haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Snowgirl for sharing! What you said makes a lot of sense to me. I appreciate your inputs and hope your transmission issues is resolved.

We had August build date and transmission issues, but I never used the hitch the first time. In fact I “babied” the car. Haha. I really think it was a part quality issue and nothing to do with how you drove it or the load ratio.

I will say take this forum for what it’s worth and the knowledge you can gain but remember a “majority” find this by having a concern or issue and wanting to see what others have experienced or been through. Most with no issues never really comment or react because they truly don’t know what to respond with, and the ones that have experienced it are able to provide feedback. It’s a great resource, but also a great venting place. Haha.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thank you Snowgirl for sharing! What you said makes a lot of sense to me. I appreciate your inputs and hope your transmission issues is resolved.
Unfortunately mine happened in early December and Subaru wasn’t so quick at approving new transmissions, so once they had my car from Dec-Feb they ended up buying it back in March under lemon law. We got a replacement Ascent, and 1600 miles transmission free problems so far!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Transmission issues is few and far between vs how many have sold. All cars have issues. Find me one that doesnt :) 6k miles no issues so far. For me the Safety of my family is of utmost importance and Subaru ranks the highest in its class.

·
Registered
219 Posts
u said it brotha! 4,500 miles on mine with no issues. With 3 kids safety is most important and with a gold plus warranty im not worried about issues. If I need a new transmission down the road - meh, then so be it. Throw it in and move on. Life’s too short to worry so much.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
There's an entire section on Towing you may wish to read...

https://www.ascentforums.com/forums/towing.127/

The Ascent has done very well towing, but, as with any tow car, I recommend keeping the GVWR of the towed trailer/etc to 85% or less of the car's tow capacity.

·
Registered
120 Posts
maybe this is just click bait Did Subaru Miss With The New Ascent 3-Row SUV? 2021 Is Not Starting Well | Torque News
why do you think that?
we love our 2020 touring zero issues 15k miles going for an inspection and oil change tomorrow
my thoughts
i always question inventory people don't like waitng
kia and hyundai now have inventory they make a very complete full feature vehicle (my wife thinks they wallow about)
highlander too small and too $$$ for features
your thoughts

·
Super Moderator
4,160 Posts
Yes, it's clickbait...that's my thought. :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hi, my wife and I really like the drive feel of the Ascent. But from what I read on this forum, there are [some] major transmission issues seems like. My understanding the 2.4T is the first engine on a large vehicle like this, unlink the 3.6R. Should we be concerned about Ascent's reliability, especially major items like the transmission? I had my last 1998 Outback for 10 years. But with CVT, it seems it won't last nearly as long, maybe 5+? Thank you!
We need to define if "some" is significant or not. I don't have the statistic, nor I think anybody on this board, to say otherwise. I bet that based on a random sample, I believe the 2021 model is likely to have more issues sorted out than a 2019 model. But not to say that many 2019 have engine or tranny issues, because my Nov 2018 build (30K mi) have been good.

The other things to keep in mind, also, is that we're impacted more to negative emotions than positive emotions. The negative feedbacks are very concentrated in the "Subaru Ascent Complaints, Issues And Problems" sub-forum which is easy to pickup, while the positive feedbacks are incrementally spread out all over this forum.

The CVT fluid is advertised as "lifetime" fluid, and it depends how you define "lifetime" as, 5yrs or 100yrs. I'm planning to change my fluid out at 50-60K miles so keep the tranny fresh. To answer your question: I have very little first hand experience to say. We own a 2016 Forester since 2015 and it's doing well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.