Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just brought home a new Ascent Premium.
Wife and I think headlight is bit too dark(dim) than what we like or used to.

We had a 2017 Sienna Minivan and didn’t feel it was dim.

Any recommendation as to how we can make it brighter? What kind of modification do you recommend?

Thank you!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi,

Any recommendation as to how we can make it brighter? What kind of modification do you recommend?

Thank you!
I'd try a Morimoto HID kit (one of the best quality on the market) and skip the LED as I don't think its that mature yet, when I put it in our Prius it worked out well because the projector kept the light pattern away from on coming drivers eyes. Can't guarantee that for every application though. HID roughly doubles the output of halogen.

I will say, the OEM dynamic LEDs are fantastic if you can find a set. But seeing that they are steering wheel position controlled the install will be very complicated. (Coming from a guy that used to pay $700 for Philips HID conversions back in 2000, now HID/led is a must have option when buying a new car. The fact that the Highlander still had halogens was a big negative for me)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi,

Thank you!

There must be several threads in this forum on upgrading to LED headlights. That would be how I would suggest you get brighter headlights.

These are the street legal versions but there is a 6-8 week wait. I'm waiting myself.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-sl1-led-headlight-pair.html

In the meantime, I've been using these and they are very bright:
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHDYTGL

Reactions: TLO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There must be several threads in this forum on upgrading to LED headlights. That would be how I would suggest you get brighter headlights.

These are the street legal versions but there is a 6-8 week wait. I'm waiting myself.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-sl1-led-headlight-pair.html

In the meantime, I've been using these and they are very bright:
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHDYTGL

Hi,

Newbie question.

Are these just a bulb swap?

If I can make the headlight brighter by simple bulb swap, why are people instilling a whole kit such as Morimoto Kit the other member recommends???

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi,

Newbie question.

Are these just a bulb swap?

If I can make the headlight brighter by simple bulb swap, why are people instilling a whole kit such as Morimoto Kit the other member recommends???

Thank you very much!
Yep a simple bulb swap. Open hood, pull existing bulb out by squeezing neck to release, then plug in new bulb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again as a newbie I’m but confused.

-These Diodedynsimics are $150 just for bulbs? What makes them 3-5 times better than other bulbs at fraction of cost?

-If simple bulb swap is sufficient, why do people get the whole kit such as Morimoto???

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
951 Posts
These are the LEDs I am using:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D6DDVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you get the right size! I like that they have a passive heat sink so there isn't a fan making noise or to fail and burn your headlight out.

On the Ascent the lightbulb swap is easy. Took 15 mins to do all 4 bulbs (low beams and high beams). Just unplug the old bulb and rotate to pull out. Then plug in the new one, rotate into place, and then spread out the heat sinks so they look more like a flower for better heat distribution.

The Stock Halogen bulbs are about 1100 lumens each or 2200 per pair. Some of the cheaper LED lights are only about 2500 lumens per pair. The above ones are 6,000 lumens per pair (3,000 lumens per bulb) so are much brighter. If you go too bright, you're no longer street legal in most states.

I have some pictures of the headlight change here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w7cotUDADSXw3bg77

Not sure why the Diode Dynamics are so expensive for just 1600 lumens per bulb. They go on about their quality, but considering you can buy 6 bulbs of the other headlights for the same price as 2, I don't see the value!

HID kits were the only way to get brighter headlights before the LEDs came out. LEDs are replacing HIDs now as the light of choice.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Up until recently (links above) ? HIDs were still the answer for highest output as aftermarket led conversion were poorly designed requiring miniature fans to keep them cool. I always thought it was a poor band aid solution strapping a tiny case fan and running it inside an engine bay

The aftermarket HID units are now oem reliability.

Now I’m all about OEM! Especially if they turn along with the wheels and have properly designed optics

If there are solid LED options I’d go LED, but HID still has 2x more lumens (3200 vs 1600) but they key is how well the optic sends them out the front.

I can never trust the lumens ratings of eBay and Amazon sellers. They grossly inflate lumens ratings.

If you look at the LED data sheets from Cree and limited for lumens per watt of even the best binned (kinda like usda grading not all LEDs are equal) LEDs won’t get you to the claimed lumens from those Amazon sellers

So diode dynamics brightness rating is accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP here.

I just placed an order for these Beamtech from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Hea...6885&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Beamtech+led&psc=1

Couple small concern,

-Ascent Manual says stock low beam bulb for Ascent Premium 12 Volts and 55 Watts. Beamtech is 32 volts and 50 Watts. Any complication or safety issues by doing this?

-Several Amazon reviewer says they don’t recommend these Beamtech for Projector housing headlights which the Ascent Premium has. However it seems many were also successful. I don’t know why these would be less ideal than other LED for projector housing. Any of you tried these in your Ascent without good success?

Cheers!

·
Registered
932 Posts
+1 for Diode Dynamics. They are super committed to rolling out a quality product. I would rather not jeopardize any parts that could potentially overheat and cause a fire. Have had great experiences with their customer service.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OP here.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Hea...6885&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Beamtech+led&psc=1

Couple small concern,

-Ascent Manual says stock low beam bulb for Ascent Premium 12 Volts and 55 Watts. Beamtech is 32 volts and 50 Watts. Any complication or safety issues by doing this?

-Several Amazon reviewer says they don’t recommend these Beamtech for Projector housing headlights which the Ascent Premium has. However it seems many were also successful. I don’t know why these would be less ideal than other LED for projector housing. Any of you tried these in your Ascent without good success?

Cheers!
I haven't had any issues relating to the voltage or wattage compatibility. I think the issue regarding the projection is that it is too high or bright. I know this because I can light up the stop sign at the end of my street with these low beams. Previously I could not do that with my low beams. Only my high beams could do that. Now my low beams are doing what my high beams can do. Something doesn't feel right about that. Nobody has flashed me on the road but I think oncoming traffic might be suffering glare from my lights. Therefore I have the diode dynamics headlights on order as they are promised to be "street legal". These beamtechs are a stop gap for me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
OP here.

Couple small concern,

Cheers!
Saw the specs, it said 9-32V input voltage so you’re good. But they also said they put out 8k lumens which is a flat out lie at 50 watts.

As far as not recommended for projector probably because it’s not properly aligned and can send light into oncoming traffic? Projector being an optic requires precise alignment to send light the right direction.

If you’ve ever looked through binoculars or a scope you will know how important that eye relief alignment is.

If it hits a stop sign at over 6’ tall, It’s definitely blinding oncoming traffic like having high beams on

Curious to see a side by side If you can do one side LED and the other halogen ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will post side by side pictures of the stock Halogen and these Beamtech.

However if Beamtech are not properly aligned for projector housing blinding on coming traffic, can’t you just lower the angle alittle? Or is this difficult on projector style headlights?

Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts

However if Beamtech are not properly aligned for projector housing blinding on coming traffic, can’t you just lower the angle alittle? Or is this difficult on projector style headlights?

Thanks
Thanks, Im not sure if headlights have that much adjustment?

But depending how far off they are off, light shining down on the parabolic might send light upwards. But I think beamtechs are aligned based on their ad image of the filament vs their LED placement

Now that I think about it I like HIDs for aftermarket retrofit. Single omnidirectional light source (similar to halogen bulb) vs 12/6 o clock position of LEDs and twice the lumens. Proven mature HID technology vs LEDs with passive heat sink. I’d hate to be driving along a mountain road at night and have one of those fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Diode Dynamics SL1 H11 headlights finally shipped! I'll do a side by side photo with the beamtech's when I do the install.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Thanks
You can aim them down, but you'd also be aiming the hot spot down with it. Your best light output will end up not projecting as far in front of the car. I did this with two previous HID "retrofits", but I always wanted proper lighting in the back of my mind. Then my wife got a car with adaptive LEDs and I saw the light (no pun intended)! I'm happy to have them now too (Limited, no options, lots of accessories).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.