Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At high speeds, especially when windy, a squeaking noise comes from somewhere front drivers side. Anyone experience this? I have A video but cannot figure how to upload it.

·
Administrator
778 Posts
Welcome to the forums @Bsapp,

You will need to provide a little more detail to the circumstances when the squeak appears... It is going over bumps? Smooth road?

The forums do not allow uploading of videos. Pictures, Yes. Videos, No... You will need to use an external host like YouTube or Flickr or one of your choosing.

C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No bumps. Always on the highway at speeds 65+. more likely to happen when windy.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring (ABP)
7 Posts
I have the same thing happening. It mostly occurs while driving on the highway over 65mph, non-windy conditions and smooth roads in my case. I have a 2021 Ascent Touring that I've had for just over a week, with roughly 500 miles on it. The squeak doesn't happen when cruise control is on, but comes on with regular highway driving. Could this be the CVT squeak I've seen posted around?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
111 Posts
No bumps. Always on the highway at speeds 65+. more likely to happen when windy.
I don't hear anything unusual with mine.

Maybe check for a loose piece of weather stripping? Around the windshield, moon roof and windows, possibly even the hood.

Could be it catching the wind at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Maybe a long shot...At times when I put my foot on the dead pedal It will squeak. Easy to figure out just move your foot.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Could this be the CVT squeak I've seen posted around?
The CVT squeak (or chirp) happens when the system is recently started and shifting gears P—>fwd/rev so unfortunately it’s unlikely the culprit.
Videos with decent audio may help everyone here pinpoint the noise for you. HeyChris suggested a couple methods of uploading videos in post #2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The CVT squeak (or chirp) happens when the system is recently started and shifting gears P—>fwd/rev so unfortunately it’s unlikely the culprit.
Videos with decent audio may help everyone here pinpoint the noise for you. HeyChris suggested a couple methods of uploading videos in post #2.
Thanks, it hasn't happened in the last few days of city driving, but I'll try to get some audio/video when I catch it happening again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At high speeds, especially when windy, a squeaking noise comes from somewhere front drivers side. Anyone experience this? I have A video but cannot figure how to upload it.
do you have luggage racks on the top? I had the same issue and it drove me crazy. turns out that the luggage rails were put on backwards and that was causing the noise. once that was fixed, it went away. Thx

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was finally able to get a bit more driving time in and record the squeaking noise. From a cold start, the noise started popping up after being on the road for about an hour. I've noticed that it tends to happen right around 2500 rpms, while highway driving

Later in the evening, after the car had been sitting idle for 2 hours or so, I started the return trip - the same noise was noticeable again at the 2500 rpm mark, with both city streets and highway driving. I also noticed that the noise also happened with the cruise control on and active - at the same 2500 rpm mark.

I've added the links to videos I was able to record. Apologies for the shakiness on 1st one.
Squeaking noise at 2500 rpm - Vid 1
Squeaking at 2500 rpms - Vid 2

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
@SilverBuffalo please bring the videos and your car to your dealership and show them the vids and tell them how to replicate the squeal. I believe this is your CVT chain slipping, sadly, but they will have to verify it. Has the car been serviced yet? (eg: oil change, etc)

·
Registered
7 Posts
@SilverBuffalo please bring the videos and your car to your dealership and show them the vids and tell them how to replicate the squeal. I believe this is your CVT chain slipping, sadly, but they will have to verify it. Has the car been serviced yet? (eg: oil change, etc)
Thanks, will do. The car hasn't been serviced yet since we've only had it for about 2 weeks (~700 miles on it). I'll post back here again once I've had it checked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, will do. The car hasn't been serviced yet since we've only had it for about 2 weeks (~700 miles on it). I'll post back here again once I've had it checked out.
Quick update. Dropped off our Ascent to the dealer today and got the news of "transmission internally faulty", which requires a new transmission. They weren't too specific with the description there, but hopefully when we get the car back there will be some details.

Has this been a common occurrence with our cars? I've had it for 2 weeks and already need a new transmission:cry:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
No, it's not "common", but sometimes there's a bad component. The clues that Robert mentioned are known because there were some early Ascents that had a faulty wiring harness that in-turn could cause the chain slip, etc. You'll be fine once the dealer addressed the faulty system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quick update. Dropped off our Ascent to the dealer today and got the news of "transmission internally faulty", which requires a new transmission. They weren't too specific with the description there, but hopefully when we get the car back there will be some details.

Has this been a common occurrence with our cars? I've had it for 2 weeks and already need a new transmission:cry:
To wrap up my end of this thread: when we got the car back, the service team noted that they had indeed found the transmission to have a "chain slip" around 30 miles per hour. Thanks @Robert.Mauro for the guidance. Happy to report that the transmission feels so much better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts