Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a loaded 2019 touring Ascent in July of 2018. $40+K. Have had issues with the voice command and navigation from the minute I drove it off the lot! Have taken it in FIVE times to fix the issue and it still does not work! When using voice command it gets hung up and cancels ALL of the audio and touch feature. It is completely useless as a hands free safe driving feature. The only way to "reset" is to turn off the vehicle and wait a minimum of 15 minutes. Service advisor at one dealer tested on a later version of the 2019 model and it didn't have the issue.

Retailers don't want to get involved "it's a SOA issue". SOA is a joke. Customer service calls at the end of a shift and when I call back I always get voicemail. It takes days to return a call. Last update I took it in for wasn't even for my vehicle! Anyone else having issues with SOA not standing behind their vehicles?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I purchased a loaded 2019 touring Ascent in July of 2018. $40+K. Have had issues with the voice command and navigation from the minute I drove it off the lot! Have taken it in FIVE times to fix the issue and it still does not work! When using voice command it gets hung up and cancels ALL of the audio and touch feature. It is completely useless as a hands free safe driving feature. The only way to "reset" is to turn off the vehicle and wait a minimum of 15 minutes. Service advisor at one dealer tested on a later version of the 2019 model and it didn't have the issue.

Retailers don't want to get involved "it's a SOA issue". SOA is a joke. Customer service calls at the end of a shift and when I call back I always get voicemail. It takes days to return a call. Last update I took it in for wasn't even for my vehicle! Anyone else having issues with SOA not standing behind their vehicles?
Hi,

One tip... hold the Volume button for 15 seconds, and it will reset the head unit.

As for your issues, please let me know what version firmware you have. It's in the Settings->General->System Information screen in the head unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,
I appreciate your recommendation, but that does not work on my vehicle. A "master tech" has verified that my Ascent has the latest firmware and software available.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Robert,
I appreciate your recommendation, but that does not work on my vehicle. A "master tech" has verified that my Ascent has the latest firmware and software available.
If holding that button for 15 seconds does not reset your unit, then there's something odd about it.

If you get the chance, I would still love to know your firmware version, because, as you may have noticed, if you use the search function, techs have not always noted the correct version numbers when checking. Additionally, there's a brand new update that's 1 day old, which may apply to your vehicle. I'm the guy who helped track and report on some of the bugs that were fixed in the initial update - those fixes are a part of the most recent as well, so, I know a thing or two about the updates. ;)

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
@cdblanchard the new update (August 19, 2019) offers fixes over your December 2018 version (Rel_U1.18.38.50).

YOUR version will show on their system as the April 2019 update, but it is not. It is from December 2018. February 2019 update was pulled in March 2019, and the December update that I helped with was re-released in April as the April 2019 update but it is the same one from December 2018 as the files and firmware version indicate (Rel_U1.18.38.50).

STEP 01:
(for Navigation Unit Owners, such as yourself)
Delete your map regions (states). With a USB 3.0 stick, you can install this update yourself. Go to https://Subaru-maps.com/ to download the firmware, installer, and all update files. It is one download package. When you run the download package, it builds all the files onto the USB stick. The link to the instructions is at the bottom of the page. You will have to register your vehicle on that site first.

STEP 02:
(for Navigation Unit Owners, such as yourself)
Additionally, make sure you re-download your state regions. If you need help with that, let me know.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I just finished doing this latest update, it took me 2hrs and 15 minutes from start to finish using a16GB USB 2 drive.

30 minutes to download the update to my PC.
1 hour to write it to the USB drive - a USB 3 drive will shorten this step.
45 minutes to update the head unit - 37 minutes was just for Step 8 uploading and unpacking the map data - be patient it will finish eventually.

I had the motor running the entire time as recommended and my average MPG dropped 2+ MPG which really wasn't all that bad for 45 minutes sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, none of the updates, have worked on my Ascent and gee after this latest one (6th trip to dealership), now I have additional nav issues and battery draining.....another forum to jump on. What is going on with Subaru???? The 2019 Ascent has soooo many issues, yet SOA doesn't want to accept responsibility and about the most I've gotten from them is a token "loyalty rebate towards another Subaru vehicle". What the heck? Why, after having so many problems with the Subaru Ascent, would I want another one?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Robert, you answered my software version inquiry in a different thread about a week ago...I am guessing I can perform the head unit update while I'm driving somewhere, provided I do not turn off the car.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Robert, you answered my software version inquiry in a different thread about a week ago...I am guessing I can perform the head unit update while I'm driving somewhere, provided I do not turn off the car.
Correct.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
So, none of the updates, have worked on my Ascent and gee after this latest one (6th trip to dealership), now I have additional nav issues and battery draining.....another forum to jump on. What is going on with Subaru???? The 2019 Ascent has soooo many issues, yet SOA doesn't want to accept responsibility and about the most I've gotten from them is a token "loyalty rebate towards another Subaru vehicle". What the heck? Why, after having so many problems with the Subaru Ascent, would I want another one?
What firmware version are you on now, and what Nav issues are you having?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the latest firmware (don't have time to look it up right now), that your referenced in a previous post. Latest issues are when given a voice command address, I get totally incorrect addresses back as well as very long delays, "this command not available"..... it's just not reliable at all.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I have the latest firmware (don't have time to look it up right now), that your referenced in a previous post. Latest issues are when given a voice command address, I get totally incorrect addresses back as well as very long delays, "this command not available"..... it's just not reliable at all.
You may already be doing this but if not here's a tip I learned when having trouble with the Nav voice commands - Speak the numbers individually as in one four three five, not fourteen thirty five. Omit the zip code, just use the address, City & state. If you take a breath in the middle it will think you are done so you have to do it all in one continuous stream of words.

Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You may already be doing this but if not here's a tip I learned when having trouble with the Nav voice commands - Speak the numbers individually as in one four three five, not fourteen thirty five. Omit the zip code, just use the address, City & state. If you take a breath in the middle it will think you are done so you have to do it all in one continuous stream of words.

Hope this helps a little.
:LOL:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Best reply I've seen, and sadly rather accurate! My issues continue, but SOA is finally on it. Thanks for the injection of humor! Cheers

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The voice recognition in the Ascent needs a lot of work. For example, if you say "Navigate to 1 Main Street, Boston, Massachusetts", and you pause between any word for more than 250 milliseconds, it will not understand the command. People just don't speak that way. The voice recognition in my Garmin nav was far better and much more tolerant of a normal speech pattern.

Google has the best voice recognition I've yet tested. The Ascent ranks among the worst of the latest systems. The failure rate is well over 50% even when speaking clearly. This is unacceptable and makes the system very frustrating to use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do have same problem, I already up this issue to . Customer Care, Dealers are helpless. I am in updated software and map version for sure.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
The voice recognition in the Ascent needs a lot of work. For example, if you say "Navigate to 1 Main Street, Boston, Massachusetts", and you pause between any word for more than 250 milliseconds, it will not understand the command. People just don't speak that way. The voice recognition in my Garmin nav was far better and much more tolerant of a normal speech pattern.

Google has the best voice recognition I've yet tested. The Ascent ranks among the worst of the latest systems. The failure rate is well over 50% even when speaking clearly. This is unacceptable and makes the system very frustrating to use.
I wish they all got better on capturing inflection and word spacing. Often I end up editing my talk to text to keep it at a first grade level. I use android auto so it is basically google. Other than in this text mode, I have not had any comprehension problems. I really appreciate all the hands free features for keeping my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I think we all agree that their nav system is worthless. Just use phone - seems to be the consensus. Why have a beautiful 8 inch screen if you really can't use it? You might as well just duct tape a pic of your dog or loved one over it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts