Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mpg. Has anyone gotten close to the advertised mileage? I have never gotten over 22 mpg even down hill coming out of the mountains.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Mpg. Has anyone gotten close to the advertised mileage? I have never gotten over 22 mpg even down hill coming out of the mountains.
I'm consistently meeting or exceeding the rated gas mileage with my Limited with about 12,500 miles. This is in fairly flat lower Michigan, with mostly Urban and highway driving. No mountains or heavy city traffic.

It can be done.?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I usually get 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. The mileage varies considerably depending on how you drive. I usually get at or above the EPA rating in most vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Just under 20mpg local rural driving and 26.8 average over a long trip with best tank at 30 mpg. (Measured not from the computer) Computer average for the trip was 28.1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 Ascent Limited with KCE-21 trim. Metallic Gray / 7-passenger version with captain's seat.
rear bumper cover / Trailer Hitch / Roof Cross Bars / Cargo Tray / All Weather Liners

before the 1st weekend ended we'd put 1,100+ miles on a round trip, NJ to Winston-Salem, NC. The car says 24+Avg. MPG. This is with 4-passengers, cargo space filled with a dorm room's stuff, the Thule box filled, a bicyle on the back and a bin in the cargo tray off the trailer hitch. I'll update at some future time with a trip not so laden.

The ride is very comfortable, quiet. The car is nimble and responsive. Rt. 81 thru the Shenandoah Valley can be constant tractor trailers. Even packed full with stuff, any time there was a passing chance, the Ascent leaped forward effortlessly to keep pace. The turbo engine is very reactive with no lag. Steering is sure and confident. (the performance reminded me of our VW Jetta TDI Sportwagens which we loved)

Reactions: GaryInMI

·
Registered
913 Posts
If I keep my foot out of the turbo and keep the revs under 2500, I can get really good gas mileage. Got 28mpg on a long trip that way.

But most of the time I just push down on the pedal, enjoy the turbo and power and pay for the smiles at the pump :D

Hardly anyone drives like the EPA test. If you exceed 65mph you've exceeded the speed of the EPA test. The Ascent is wide and tall and has to cut a big patch through the air. That costs a lot of power, especially at higher speeds.

I drove like a grandma when I was breaking my Ascent in (never exceeded 55mph and never broken 2,500 rpm) and I was getting 28mpg in the city and 32mpg on highways. Now I get 20-22mpg but smile a lot more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just managed to pull 36.1mpg on a 112 mile trip with a combo of freeway and highway driving to a camp ground. Note I was following my parents who were pulling my camper, of which I used to pull with my ascent and weighs 4800ibs @26ft, and trailed them with cruise on the 2 bar/space setting or whatever it's called. I'm now pulling 29.8 mpg just bombing around here around town and driving along the great lakes. But typical mpg prior to this trip has always been 25-28mpg this summer and 18-22 in the winter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if I should revive this or post a new thread.

We took delivery of our 2020 Premium on 11/16. I immediately transferred my older, not terrible aerodynamic, Thule Cargo box from my Forester and we were off.

After a few days, I noticed that our average MPG was 14. approx 33% of the driving was highway.

I took the cargo box off (which, I should add, only took about 3-4mpg off my forester), just in case this is causing an issue. Driving around for a few hours, my average mpg was around 10(!!!!).

I realize that I havent owned this car long enough to know if this is "real" or not, but these numbers seem very, very low to me. I was expecting worst case high teens MPG and expecting around 20 mpg-24mpg on average.

Is this in line with what others are seeing? Doesnt seem so, based on this thread.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Is this in line with what others are seeing?
No, it's not. There are a very few folks who are experiencing extremely low fuel economy; there is a representative group who are not getting the "EPA" figures because they are in a heavy urban area or have not been able to adapt their driving style to the way the throttle responds and there is a representative group who get excellent fuel economy. It kinda mirrors many other vehicles on the road in that respect. If you continue get mileage that is "that low", then you need to get your vehicle checked out. Again, it's not "normal".

Reactions: Sirk98

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
My mpg is whatever I want, including passing EPA ratings by a little, even when I am riding on these gas eaters for 43,000 miles.
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part

Usually though, I have fun and don't hit EPA.

Nonetheless, specifically to test the results in this group, I've controlled my right foot for almost two dozen tanks for testing purposes and easily made rated gas mileage.

I do have the benefit of tens of thousands of miles more practice than others, though, and the Torque app to see when I am spooling that turbo and eating gas. ?

But, when I put this on, my gas mileage tanked.

The only thing worse (besides towing a trailer that weighs as much as a base Ascent) was when I had my spare tire on the rack. ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, it's not. There are a very few folks who are experiencing extremely low fuel economy; there is a representative group who are not getting the "EPA" figures because they are in a heavy urban area or have not been able to adapt their driving style to the way the throttle responds and there is a representative group who get excellent fuel economy. It kinda mirrors many other vehicles on the road in that respect. If you continue get mileage that is "that low", then you need to get your vehicle checked out. Again, it's not "normal".

Hmmm. I wonder how long I should drive this before asking the dealer to look into it. We are in NJ, relatively suburban areas, but a lot of stop n go traffic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
But, when I put this on, my gas mileage tanked.
The only thing worse (besides towing a trailer that weighs as much as a base Ascent) was when I had my spare tire on the rack. ?
I immediately removed the cargo box. When driving around town, and showing mpg in the center screen (instead of MPH), it shows a dip to 8mpg when easing on the the accelerator on a flat US highway (45 mph speed limit), coming up to speed from a yield. I mean, I expect it to dip when you apply the accelerator, but that is like old school V8 mileage, lol.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder how long I should drive this before asking the dealer to look into it. We are in NJ, relatively suburban areas, but a lot of stop n go traffic.
Stop and go is the absolute worst for gas mileage with a turbo. It took learning to drive entirely differently for me, but it's doable.

I work in Mineola and travel Queens and other horrible areas. Some with Ascents are getting 12-14 mpg where I get 18-20 in those horrid driving places. But again, I've had 45,000 miles of practice and an app to help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stop and go is the absolute worst for gas mileage with a turbo. It took learning to drive entirely differently for me, but it's doable.

I work in Mineola and travel Queens and other horrible areas. Some with Ascents are getting 12-14 mpg where I get 18-20 in those horrid driving places. But again, I've had 45,000 miles of practice and an app to help.
Wow. OK, so that actually does seem in line with my experience thus far. When I say stop n go, I am not talking 5 borough traffic stop and go, I am talking 'stoplight every 5-10 miles on a US route highway".

I have to admit, if this is true, this is a bit disappointing. I expected the MPG to be a bit lower than my Forester, but to go from 28mpg (usually) in my Forester to 14mpg in the Ascent, with the same driving habits... Ouch. 5/6MPG lower? Sure. Not 14.

I may reach out to the dealership after the holiday, if the MPG stays

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
One last thing, since you are definitely suffering from the same thing us across the Hudson are... the winter blends NY and NJ use suck for gas mileage, especially when our Ascents are a half ton heavier than your previous Forester and my previous Outback. ?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Tough to tell what mpg your getting with the real-time readout as it's so variable. There is one avg mpg gauge for each trip meter and it is reset when you reset the trip meter. It generally doesn't show for the 10 miles or so until it establishes a stable starting average.

The Ascent has a very "responsive" throttle (and some turbo lag) and I found it took recalibrating my right foot to not gas it more than needed/wanted. Lately I'm getting ~21mpg which is what I got in my previous SUV of similar size and weight. I have gotten 24+ on long highway trips driving 65-80 mph. When I first got it, between it and me being new, I was getting mid upper teens.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
This is my first real Michigan winter with the Accent because we spent last winter in California and holy cow, my average mileage has dropped a bunch with the winter blend gas and colder weather. My around town mileage has dropped from 20-21 to 17-18 with top tier 87 octain gas.

Winter isn't the best time to try to establish your baseline mpg but you can still work on learning the best techniques for your driving situation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow. OK, so that actually does seem in line with my experience thus far. When I say stop n go, I am not talking 5 borough traffic stop and go, I am talking 'stoplight every 5-10 miles on a US route highway".

I have to admit, if this is true, this is a bit disappointing. I expected the MPG to be a bit lower than my Forester, but to go from 28mpg (usually) in my Forester to 14mpg in the Ascent, with the same driving habits... Ouch. 5/6MPG lower? Sure. Not 14.

I may reach out to the dealership after the holiday, if the MPG stays
Greetings,
I recommend trying to get a datum in cruising conditions. I was also a little down on my mileage for a while. But then I drove for a stretch of highway for 3 hours and got over 31 mpg. If you can, reset the trip meter and run awhile at highway speed, preferably with the cruise control set. I'd expect at least the mid 20's (depending on topology, perhaps).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts