Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedometer Car Odometer Gauge Automotive design

We have been getting 14 mpg in the city. It must go to the service shop again. Maybe Subaru will wake up and understand that Ascent is a big turd when it come to mpg.

Anybody wanting to comment back about driving style or average mpg please don’t comment this is a bunch of horseshit I shouldn’t be getting 14 mpg and a brand new 2020 vehicle.

53 miles on a quarter of a tank 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

·
Registered
432 Posts
What's your driving style and environment? Lots of stop and go or idling? Hard acceleration?
I don't take it easy but not too fast either. I'm probably a little more rural than most and get 24mpg mixed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Most of my driving consists of city driving. I'm talking traffic lights every half mile and traffic flows at 45 to 50 between lights. accelerating any car from 0 to 45 and back to zero every half mile to mile will kill economy. I don't care what you drive. Keeping throttle input to 25% to 28% (from the center console gauges) in this style of driving will get 16 to 17. if throttle input goes to 30% to 33% economy suffers to 14 or so...I'm assuming this is where the boost comes on.

The rest of my driving consists of highway driving usually loaded with passengers traveling at 75 to 80. The Ascent will do 20-22 in this setting which is respectful. If I'm able to cruise along at 60-65, economy will be 27-28. Driving style and conditions play a HUGE factor...IN EVERY CAR YOU DRIVE. I've experienced this in all of my cars over the years which have ranged from a VW TDI which would to 50MPG on the highway at its best (my driving style...it was capable of more) to my F150 Ecoboost which had over 520hp which would do 11-12 in the City (again, my driving style).

ALL fuel economy numbers are based on very specific test conditions. Those conditions are rarely encountered in real world driving. Understanding how you conditions are different is the first step in realizing if there is a problem with the car or not. The Ascent is rated at 21/27. MY highway driving conditions are typically 75 to 80 mph. No vehicle in the world will achieve their highway numbers at this speed. At 60mph, absolutely...and I've achieved those numbers at those speeds.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 😍) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 😭) 2006 Subaru Impreza (Former)
67 Posts
We have been getting 14 mpg in the city. It must go to the service shop again. Maybe Subaru will wake up and understand that Ascent is a big turd when it come to mpg.

Anybody wanting to comment back about driving style or average mpg please don’t comment this is a bunch of horseshit I shouldn’t be getting 14 mpg and a brand new 2020 vehicle.
Cool Story Bro. 👍

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
OP: can you share with us some details about the dealership visits? Like what did you asked them to do and what were their responses

·
Registered
206 Posts
It’s the third time I’ve taken into the dealership and I’m still getting the same thing.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if that was a riddle or common core math problem when I was trying to interpret it!

Sorry to hear your MPG is much less than you expect. I know mine is around 21MPG, but that is probably around 90% highway mileage. If my wife and I drove more "mixed" mileage, I'm assuming we'd be considerably less. That said, we don't really care as MPG isn't something we base our purchasing decisions around.

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
32 Posts

So a TL;DR for the thread would be that you just want an echo chamber to be able to hear your complaining repeated back to you in order to affirm what you already believe.

If you have been to a dealership multiple times and there has been nothing wrong with your vehicle when they looked into the problem and you are still getting bad gas mileage the common factor here is you. The Ascent has vastly different mileage numbers depending on how you drive it. If you are driving the vehicle like you stole it that will kill mileage fast. If you use the remote start that kills mileage. If you are sitting with the car idle for extended periods of time it will kill mileage. If you have severe start/stop traffic in your area that will kill mileage. You have to remember that the EPA rated mileage is based on the EPAs very specific testing criteria. I typically get around 19mpg in the city despite my city having a very hilly geography. I don't really have to make an effort to get that number, but I also don't gun it when I'm driving and generally my throttle is below 20% because there is no need to go above that the majority of the time in the city, even in the 40+ speed limit zones.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Sorry to hear that you’re very disappointed with your car especially the gas mileage. I have a 2019 model with 24,000 on it and my average gas mileage is 21.7 mile/gallon with combined city and mountain driving. I noticed that if you drive mostly city driving the gas mileage is lower ~ 17-18 miles a gallon. just give yourself time to familiarize your car especially the CVT. Take it easy with the gas pedal!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are getting 21.7 and our 2021 limited is almost at 3k. That is with 87 octane and I must admit, on the highway, I almost always drive in the left lane (here in MA that is between 75-85mph) also ~50% is on 35mph or less suburban or Boston streets. Did I mention I also goose it sometimes when the light turns green? A turd this vehicle is NOT!!!

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
32 Posts
Sorry to hear that you’re very disappointed with your car especially the gas mileage. I have a 2019 model with 24,000 on it and my average gas mileage is 21.7 mile/gallon with combined city and mountain driving. I noticed that if you drive mostly city driving the gas mileage is lower ~ 17-18 miles a gallon. just give yourself time to familiarize your car especially the CVT. Take it easy with the gas pedal!
It definitely takes a little time getting used to the Ascent's throttle response and just how much gas you gotta give it to get certain amounts of power. Hell, I had an Impreza with a CVT before my Ascent and the Ascent CVT acts VERY differently even from that vehicles CVT. That car had (in my experience) almost linear throttle to power response, whereas the Ascent is definitely not linear. Probably a side effect of the Ascent's very generous torque curve where you can hit peak torque with very little throttle input. In the city I generally never need to break 20% throttle and am usually sitting at 15% when accelerating or maintaining speed up a hill, and on most flat areas can just coast without losing basically any speed at between 1-5% throttle depending.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
Since moving into town, my average has settled lower at 19.3 mpg...shorter trips and a lot of light towing because of the move, etc., compared to more general rural driving with longer trips that previously were the norm. I expected that to happen. Our MY20 Forester Limited has also taken a hit of over 1 mpg, despite my extremely light foot. (I do most of the driving in both vehicles. If we lived in an urban area with a lot of stop and go and idling in traffic...I know I'd be getting a few more mpg lower for sure, even with said light foot. Real urban driving isn't anything like the EPA test which is more like country driving for the "City" test.

Reactions: Pluckito1111

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
I monitored the average speed "favorites" widget in the dash-top screen studiously for a few tanks. I found that the average fuel economy tends to track somewhat closely with the average speed at city cycle type speeds. For example, when my average speed was in the 14-15 mph range (due to a lot of short-tripping with kids pickup at school, etc.), our average fuel economy was under 15 mpg as well. As the average speed increased over time that tank, so did the average fuel economy. I ended up with an average speed over 20 mph and...the average fuel economy had climbed to over 20 mpg as well. We usually average in the low 20s...but our car that usually averages in the low 20s has also been on track to top out at 15 mpg as well...if we had kept up that same driving environment for the whole tank.

I strongly recommend to anyone concerned about their fuel economy to monitor their average speed. Either through the "favorites" widget if you have a Limited or Touring or through manual calculation if you have a Base or Premium (without the color dash-top display). If your average fuel economy is in the mid-teens, then I bet your average speed is also much lower than you'd guess it is. In other words, it's likely a product of the driving environment and not a mechanical malfunction.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
17 Posts
Personally I'm very impressed with the overall mpg of my Ascent. I'm getting a solid 19-20 mpg in town. Last month I went on a 4000 mile trip and averaged 24.5 mpg. I don't drive gently and I'm not focused on mpg.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts