Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve often heard it said that an Ascent most resembles a Forester. To me, when I look at an Ascent, it looks SO much like an Outback that that’s all I can see. An Outback on steroids but definitely an Outback. What do you see?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Shared body languages...

Personally, I think the Ascent has the body lines of an Outback from the side and a Forester from the front, and a combination of the two from the back (eg: the flatter rear profile from behind like what's on the Forester, but the more sloped rear window like the Outback as can be noted from looking at the rear's side view), and now, the new Foresters have the body side molding designs of the Ascent from the side, bringing similar body lines across all three.

So, it's a nice combo of the looks of both, making it appeal to both Outback and Forester owners looking to move into something bigger. I think the key thing that makes the new 2019 Forester look more like an Ascent than the Ascent looking more like an Outback is the very similar body side lower molding. But, compare the 2018 Forester (which was the newest Forester when the Ascent was released) and you will see that the looks were more similar to the Outback.

So, it was (evolutionarily), 2018 Outback & Forester->2019 Ascent->2019 Forester

At the same time, it's got many body features unique to itself.

The big win here is that a number of us are seeing varying similarities between the three, which is probably exactly the intent, as I mentioned earlier, in order to make Foz and OB owners both comfortable moving to a familiar looking Ascent.

Anyway, I thought this pic was cool in comparing the OB size to the Ascent:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Had someone think it was a Ford when looking at it from the back...almost socked them straight in the mouth when they said that:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I actually think Ford did better with a horzontal chrome strip, large blue oval, and LED tail lights than Subaru did. The rear end is where Subaru "Subarued" themselves and turned that beautiful concept into what we get in reality.

I still love my Ascent. :grin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
A the most recent model Traverse, I only say that because more times that I care to admit I have walked up to a Black Traverse instead of my Ascent.

A few weeks ago, I walked up to an Ascent that I thought was mine. I even pushed the lock button on my key fob to make sure. The Ascent was not mine and the actual owner of it pushed their key fob when I pushed mine. I am pretty sure I scared him out, when I opened the door. I apologized over and over again, this was the first time I came across another black Ascent.

So clearly going to the wrong car is a problem I have. I had it with my previous vehicle as well. Someone at work had the same vehicle that was the same color as mine and never locked it. Yup totes got in that car more than once, really confused as to why my car smelled like smoke, nope not my car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your descriptions are spot on. I love that last pic - the Outback looks like the baby brother. I’m about read to pull the trigger on a Touring. My 2015 3.6 Outback will look so cute in my driveway parked behind or next to it. ?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I always thought that the Ascent's side view had a strong resemblance to the Rogue. Then the new Forester came out and it really looks like a small Ascent, except it has the giant greenhouse that Foresters are known for. The window proprtions of the Rogue are more like the Ascent.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
I moved from a 2017 Blue Outback to a 2018 Blue Ascent.

To me it's like those foam animals you get for young children. You put them in water and the grow! :D

I had to be careful in the parking garage at work. I used to back my outback in, but there's an overhang that only cleared by 1" on the Outback. As soon as I ordered my Ascent I started parking nose in to get in the habit!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I say the Forester,I owned a ‘16 Outback and I don’t see it.The wheel well arches is the key similarities here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the Ascent looks a lot like every other crossover on the road, especially from the front. Without looking at the badge...which one's the Subaru?

And the day we picked ours up, I walked up to the Jeep parked next to it when I dropped off our rental car, by mistake. "Wait, this says Limited and ours is Premium...and ours isn't black...Oh crap this is a Jeep"

·
Registered
7 Posts
The image comparing the OB to the Ascent (rear view) is excellent. Thanks for posting Robert. I now have a realistic perspective of how the Ascent will fit into the double car garage. We are selling our 2003 OB to a family member so our 2012 OB and 2019 Touring will need to learn how to share the garage with each other. We ordered our Pearl Brown Touring Ascent in early January 2019 with an expected delivery date of mid March. Woohoo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts