Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking all over California for an Ascent Limited 8-seat, non-navigation (#21 trim). I wanted the interior upgrades, but I don't care for the 20" wheels. I found a few Limiteds without navigation. But I have only found 2 without any accessories and one happened to be in the color I wanted. I put a hold on it weeks ago and just purchased this week at PHS in East LA.

MSRP Is $39,970 for Limited #21 (compared to $42,920 with navigation, #23). The limited #21 is basically the same price as many of the Premium trims. I got the vehicle for $38,389. We also used $500 from Subaru loyalty. Tax is 7.75% where I live and the document fees were a few hundred. So I feel like it was a great deal. Everything I wanted, nothing I didn't (within the realm of possibility).

I'm happy I found that Unicorn of a Limited with no option/accessory packages since a typical Limited goes for $43,496 here in Southern California. I had slim luck talking down from MSRP with many other dealers.

I'll be getting the cargo cover, trunk and 3rd row back tray/covers and more for a big discount from the local sales department. Only sending ~$300 compared to $900 for a "popular package".

It boggles my mind that almost every limited comes with $3000 navigation package in 2018 when you can just use AA/ACP for navigation. I know some people like the moonroof (in navigation package) but it's just another component to fail and we only used the sunroof twice on our old Forester.

Anyway, just writing to let you guys know what trim options are possible if you search for it. Good luck to everyone in their search for a deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's impressive. Looks like you made out really well. This end of year pricing is clutch.

I paid a similar price in So Cal for the Premium with a moonroof and captain's chairs.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've been looking all over California for an Ascent Limited 8-seat, non-navigation (#21 trim). I wanted the interior upgrades, but I don't care for the 20" wheels. I found a few Limiteds without navigation. But I have only found 2 without any accessories and one happened to be in the color I wanted. I put a hold on it weeks ago and just purchased this week at PHS in East LA.

MSRP Is $39,970 for Limited #21 (compared to $42,920 with navigation, #23). The limited #21 is basically the same price as many of the Premium trims. I got the vehicle for $38,389. We also used $500 from Subaru loyalty. Tax is 7.75% where I live and the document fees were a few hundred. So I feel like it was a great deal. Everything I wanted, nothing I didn't (within the realm of possibility).

I'm happy I found that Unicorn of a Limited with no option/accessory packages since a typical Limited goes for $43,496 here in Southern California. I had slim luck talking down from MSRP with many other dealers.

I'll be getting the cargo cover, trunk and 3rd row back tray/covers and more for a big discount from the local sales department. Only sending ~$300 compared to $900 for a "popular package".

It boggles my mind that almost every limited comes with $3000 navigation package in 2018 when you can just use AA/ACP for navigation. I know some people like the moonroof (in navigation package) but it's just another component to fail and we only used the sunroof twice on our old Forester.

Anyway, just writing to let you guys know what trim options are possible if you search for it. Good luck to everyone in their search for a deal.
a stripped down Limited is very hard to find, maybe less than 10% of all the Limited offered in Houston. Out of all the Limited model sold, I wonder what's the percentage of them care of the options (eg sunroof, HK audio, weather mats, etc...).

·
Registered
764 Posts
If it is a stripped down model then it probably was a customer order that fell through or the dealership ordered it under a false name to have a cheap "we beat your price" model. If it is ordered by the dealer order system based up on their allocations it will always have accessories on them because that means more money for Subaru.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats! Yep. A Limited 8 passenger trim 21 in blue is a unicorn. We had to order ours with the accessories we wanted. ? ETA 12/31.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is a stripped down model then it probably was a customer order that fell through or the dealership ordered it under a false name to have a cheap "we beat your price" model. If it is ordered by the dealer order system based up on their allocations it will always have accessories on them because that means more money for Subaru.
Jason, that is interesting to hear. I am not aware of the circumstances surrounding the ordering, just that the vehicle was already "in transit" and available when I learned of it. This particular dealer is high volume (for Subaru) so I wonder if that increases the likelihood of this oddity. But I also found another completely stripped Limited #21 trim in Northern California at a mid size dealer...

Either way, I am happy with the Ascent and cannot wait to pack it with bags and take a trip.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It boggles my mind that almost every limited comes with $3000 navigation package in 2018 when you can just use AA/ACP for navigation.
I thought that too...until I went to Yellowstone National Park. Even with the built in nav in my Chevy truck, I use the Waze app. Much more up to date and better traffic info. Anyway in the middle of the park we lost cell signal and we were glad we had the built in nav still working.

Other than that I too see no reason for the nav package.

I wonder if they still make paper things with lines on them to help guide folks across the country...:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
It boggles my mind that almost every limited comes with $3000 navigation package in 2018 when you can just use AA/ACP for navigation.
I thought that too...until I went to Yellowstone National Park. Even with the built in nav in my Chevy truck, I use the Waze app. Much more up to date and better traffic info. Anyway in the middle of the park we lost cell signal and we were glad we had the built in nav still working.

Other than that I too see no reason for the nav package.

I wonder if they still make paper things with lines on them to help guide folks across the country...
When we went wr downloaded Google maps of Yellowstone and the GrandTetons on my phone. With the phone's GPS the maps worked great when we lost cell service.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought one off the dealers lot on July 5th. It was a limited in white with a black interior. It didn't come with navigation, a sunroof, or upgraded sound. It did come with the dimming mirrors which is a must for me after having it on my last car. The popular package it came with was all stuff I considered a must. Like the mud flaps, the all weather mats since Weather tech didn't have them yet, the cargo cover and the seat back protectors. So in the end it wasn't a stripped down model, but it was one of the first three the dealer had and it checked all my boxes. I wish they came with the cargo net like some cars did in the past. I've found it to be a great addition since I got mine to keep my groceries from running into the tailgate and falling out when I open it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Seattle, and when we decided we wanted to pull the trigger on the Ascent I found locating just the right mix to our needs/wants was hard. We basically wanted a stripped down Limited (leather with little kids was the most important factor). I searched dealers within 500 miles of Seattle - knowing that I can jump on an Alaska flight for $100 or take a bus or train to easily get to a dealer within that range. The best price I could negotiate on an 8 seat Limited #21 was $38,200, which is $42,300 after tax. Wasn't thrilled with brown exterior, but was the best price I could find. In the end, I went a different route. I was able to find a premium with package #21 and the moon roof/sound/navigation (none of which were critically important to us - though the moon roof is a nice to have in our book). The base price was negotiated down to $36,150. This means my taxable amount is lower, and thus tax bill lower. When I add the aftermarket leather (a process we are comfortable with, we've done it twice in the past for other vehicles) I end up all in at $42,350. Basically, for being willing to do the work to add leather after market, I get the moon roof/sound/navigation for $50. It's also ~$1,000 cheaper than the next cheapest Limited. I know I give up a couple other options going this route (heated rear seats - sorry kids, bundle up, LED headlights - will live with Halogen, maybe some other smaller features), but for the money, I couldn't beat the deal... and again, we're comfortable with the aftermarket leather process... So not a process for everyone, but if you are struggling to get the Limited you want at the price you want, and you are willing to add leather, finding a loaded Premium can save you some money net-net. Just a thought.
Oh, and it's blue, not brown... which we prefer. :)
Estimated delivery is December 10, leather install that week and we're ready to roll for our Christmas road trip from Seattle to Sunriver, OR!
Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in Seattle, and when we decided we wanted to pull the trigger on the Ascent I found locating just the right mix to our needs/wants was hard. We basically wanted a stripped down Limited (leather with little kids was the most important factor). I searched dealers within 500 miles of Seattle - knowing that I can jump on an Alaska flight for $100 or take a bus or train to easily get to a dealer within that range. The best price I could negotiate on an 8 seat Limited #21 was $38,200, which is $42,300 after tax. Wasn't thrilled with brown exterior, but was the best price I could find. In the end, I went a different route. I was able to find a premium with package #21 and the moon roof/sound/navigation (none of which were critically important to us - though the moon roof is a nice to have in our book). The base price was negotiated down to $36,150. This means my taxable amount is lower, and thus tax bill lower. When I add the aftermarket leather (a process we are comfortable with, we've done it twice in the past for other vehicles) I end up all in at $42,350. Basically, for being willing to do the work to add leather after market, I get the moon roof/sound/navigation for $50. It's also ~$1,000 cheaper than the next cheapest Limited. I know I give up a couple other options going this route (heated rear seats - sorry kids, bundle up, LED headlights - will live with Halogen, maybe some other smaller features), but for the money, I couldn't beat the deal... and again, we're comfortable with the aftermarket leather process... So not a process for everyone, but if you are struggling to get the Limited you want at the price you want, and you are willing to add leather, finding a loaded Premium can save you some money net-net. Just a thought.
Oh, and it's blue, not brown... which we prefer. :)
Estimated delivery is December 10, leather install that week and we're ready to roll for our Christmas road trip from Seattle to Sunriver, OR!
Cheers!
Basic Limited with no options at all is $37,389 (Invoice) including destination fee. If you donate $500 to the ASPCA, (becoming a founders member) you get 2% more ($748) off Invoice ($36,641). It is not a bad price for this car!!!! Why isn't everyone using this ASPCA VIP program? If the dealers in your state won't honor the program- to heck with them - go out of state!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts

We got a very similar deal in MA. Stripped limited with just some minor add-ons - (bumper cover, splash guards, door protectors) and $38,700.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah, if you're wanting an option 21 (no sunroof, limited), regardless of seating choice, we're having to order those in. We're seeing zero of those in our allocations that aren't orders, and using Subienet and Comprehensive Vehicle Locator, there's just none of them in any color or seat choice within 400 miles of here. We're seeing a VERY few premiums coming in that aren't sold.

It's pretty funny with the people who are of the "I want it now" mode. I had one of those on Monday, the wife looked at the husband and said, well, let's just go somewhere else that has one. I told her there aren't any, and when she didn't believe me, I pulled it up and showed her. She decided that driving to Louisiana to see a car wasn't worth it - that's where the closest one in the trim and color she wanted was, so she'd wait for a week for my inbound unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question for Carl

She decided that driving to Louisiana to see a car wasn't worth it - that's where the closest one in the trim and color she wanted was, so she'd wait for a week for my inbound unit.
Carl, how accurate are the 'estimated delivery dates'? I have a Ascent I've put a deposit down on that has an estimated delivery date of Dec 10. I'm 4 days out and the dealer can't confirm if the vehicle will actually show up on that date... just tells me 'in our experience they show up within a couple days of the estimated date'.

Maybe we're just spoiled by Amazon.com and their visibility into when we'll get things we delivered?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, if you're wanting an option 21 (no sunroof, limited), regardless of seating choice, we're having to order those in. We're seeing zero of those in our allocations that aren't orders, and using Subienet and Comprehensive Vehicle Locator, there's just none of them in any color or seat choice within 400 miles of here. We're seeing a VERY few premiums coming in that aren't sold.

It's pretty funny with the people who are of the "I want it now" mode. I had one of those on Monday, the wife looked at the husband and said, well, let's just go somewhere else that has one. I told her there aren't any, and when she didn't believe me, I pulled it up and showed her. She decided that driving to Louisiana to see a car wasn't worth it - that's where the closest one in the trim and color she wanted was, so she'd wait for a week for my inbound unit.
I wonder what my deal was. I suppose my dealer just happened to have a couple option 21s in their allocations around July. I began looking in earnest around the beginning of August. I kept seeing two black/ivory 7 passenger limited "strippers" "in transit". They were not people's orders. I put a deposit on one and got it within in a little over a week. Package 23 just wasn't worth it to me and I got exactly what I wanted without having to order and wait the 10 it would have taken otherwise.

I'm starting to see more on the road, but not even on a daily basis. They're usually Limiteds or Tourings, but I have a neighbor that has a base model. I have a fascination with base model Subarus. Sometimes the no-tint look is pretty cool.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Carl, how accurate are the 'estimated delivery dates'? I have a Ascent I've put a deposit down on that has an estimated delivery date of Dec 10. I'm 4 days out and the dealer can't confirm if the vehicle will actually show up on that date... just tells me 'in our experience they show up within a couple days of the estimated date'.

Maybe we're just spoiled by Amazon.com and their visibility into when we'll get things we delivered?
What we're seeing is that the car shows up at the railhead on time.

And then, for reasons that are out of Subaru's control, they're sitting for several days. The trucking company that delivers them from the railhead to our lot doesn't just deliver to Subaru dealers, they also deliver to several other brands and all THEIR stores within our radius. The other car companies are dumping all their year end inventory. So right now there just aren't enough trucks available to get cars to the dealerships as quickly as we saw a couple of years ago. I have four full truckloads of cars sitting at our railhead right now that I hope show up before the snow and ice does tomorrow, but I'm not expecting them.

Realistically, if the car shows up at the other dealership by next Friday, that's within reason based upon what we're seeing right now. The only thing we can do is ask everyone to be patient. Subaru is experiencing something we've never experienced before. We've had ONE model where we can't keep them in stock and we're having to sell pipeline and/or take orders for before - three times in the past six years that I've been here. We've never had THREE models where we can't keep them in stock at the same time. (Forester, Crosstrek, and Ascent.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts