Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to change out the license plate lamps? My hand doesn't fit through the removable panel in the tailgate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They are changed from the outside. The lenses will come off with a little slide and pull motion.
And by "a little" he means all the effort you can muster. I did mine last week and it was by far the most difficult fixture to open I've seen so far. I've read online that it helps to insert a soft tool around it to break the seal with the paint and that makes sense as it's a lot easier to do it the second time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes...do NOT overthink it...!

I know your pain. I was upgrading to LEDs and reached a roadblock at the license plate bulbs. Well the caps don’t actually slide anywhere. That was my downfall. I expected them to move and pushed and pulled until I was blue in the face. But they aren’t going to budge - because there’s really no place for them to go. I gave up and months went by. Eventually I tried again *successfully* after a new approach. Couldn’t believe how easy it actually was.

Here’s how to release them...

1. Nudge them inward towards the plate firmly but not forcibly.
2. At the same time, pull the side farthest from the plate outward towards you.
3. That’s it.
4. When reinstalling, start with the far side then snap the plate side back in.
5. Rejoice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2. At the same time, pull the side farthest from the plate outward towards you. <<< this was key for me... totally made sense once it was out and I saw how the spring clip on the inside helps hold it against the outside edge where the 'tab' holds it place.

*weatherstripping took some patience before it broke free...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts