Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a great vehicle, good power, it has excellent technology, however there are few things I am disappointed in:

- No 360 bird view camera for parking, for being such a large vehicle I think this is a must, some of the cars in its class have this option.
- Automatic folding mirror, this should be standard for most vehicles, subaru still refuses to add this option throughout the lineups here in the US, this is their global platform and even JDM get these features on legacys and other models but the US models don't? This is a joke....global platform should also mean make some of the standard features available across all your models.
- Captain rear seats flawed, it doesn't fold properly, if you go with that option they don't properly fold and leaves a gap.
- I wish the car would have a bit more horsepower, at this size I'd expect another engine choice and that would be something that would output close to 300hp, that would make this one of the best SUV's in this class. I am not sure how much Subaru can push this new engine, maybe in the future they might be able to push its limits but its highly unlikely since Subaru doesn't take many risks these days.

I am excited about the ascent, but I'd like to see some of the above features getting worked on. I have a 2018 legacy but will eventually need a family car and I am hoping in the next 2-3 years Subaru improves the ascent.
I wish they had a H6 option for the ascent, I think they could have pushed few more ponies, that engine is proven, the only down side might be MPG.

·
Registered
292 Posts
People are always saying they want more power options. But then they are not willing to pay the extra cost and accept poorer gas mileage. They had the turbo Forester, and everybody loved the performance. Yet it only represented 5% of that model's sales. Same thing back when they had manual transmissions.

In future, I think more power will come with hybrid trim options, but again at a cost.

As for the other features, auto folding mirror would be nice and it is probably coming. I don't want the captains seats, so that doesn't matter to me. The bench ones are near flat. I don't see the need for 360 cameras? Sounds more like a gimmicky idea. Currently it doe have rear and side cross traffic alert which works very well. Why do I want to look at a 360 view? In future it will probably be part of a safety system (T-bone prevention?).

One feature I would like is the Driver Alert and Recognition system (new 2019 Forester has that), and it will probably be on the next year's Ascent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You'll never get everyone on the same page with options. What some people wouldn't care for...others will want and can be deal breakers for them.

I for one like the 360 view option and power folding mirrors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d like to the 360 because it would help when marking parallel or backing up into a tight parking space and it would make things useful, I think this would be a realistic option that Subaru will add in the next year or two. I’m excited about the car, lots of cup holders but I guess that works. Auto folding mirrors should be available especially in the higher trim options. I am a big fan of the infotainment System, it looks very clean and fresh and it will age well. I absolutely love the ability to use Apple CarPlay.

Overall the ascent is a very good all around car.
The rear end design feels boring and looks like a ford, but the front I absolutely love the look.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can someone explain to me the benefit of power folding mirrors? I've never been in a situation where I've thought, "Man, I wish my mirrors folded in right now." Maybe I'm missing out on some must have feature I've never known about.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Can someone explain to me the benefit of power folding mirrors? I've never been in a situation where I've thought, "Man, I wish my mirrors folded in right now." Maybe I'm missing out on some must have feature I've never known about.

Power folding mirrors are great if you have a garage that is a bit narrow. The mirrors fold out of the way so you don't hit them and can walk by easier. I do wish it had that feature on more vehicles as my wife's car doesn't have it and I have almost ripped off her mirrors multiple times while walking by with bags or groceries.

360 is nice but I feel it adds a lot of cost and makes the side mirrors even more expensive if they get ripped off.

My big thing is the passenger side seat I wish it would move up and down.

As far as power everyone wants more power but it comes with a cost up front and a cost in fuel economy that many are not willing to pay.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Its a great vehicle, good power, it has excellent technology, however there are few things I am disappointed in:

- No 360
- Automatic folding mirror
- Captain rear seats flawed
- I wish the car would have a bit more horsepower.
Hey Ice, I see you've followed me over here from the Legacy forums. Welcome.

Regarding your concerns - I've never driven a car with a 360 camera, such as that Bird's Eye one that Toyota offers - but I do know the Touring trims offer a front camera. For me personally, the only thing I've really "needed" with a beast this big is a rear camera so I don't tap the guy behind me.

Folding mirrors I could see. I do like the BMW tech where the car will adjust the side mirrors downward if you're in reverse. I don't park in a garage, so the folding mirrors aren't important *to me*, but I could see they would be a good option to have as an addon if you wanted it. If I park on the street, I just fold the side in.

I haven't used Captain's chairs, so this is new to me. I am going to have a hard time picking between a 7p and 8p. We're a family of 4, but occasionally have other family in there, so I do like the easy pass-through of the CC's.

From everything I've seen in first-drive reviews, the torque delivery is excellent and appropriately powered. Someone (Cars.com?) I think said that it was too noisy at highway speed, but I'm not driving a Tesla, so I don't mind if I hear a rumble when I'm passing someone, ya know?

I'm very excited to try this thing out next weekend.

I was in a huge time crunch because of the discontinuation of the 3.6R for the Outback in 2020 (speculative), but if the 2.4 is good enough for a car this size, it's probably worth waiting for the trickle-down into the Outback so you can get the global platform too.

If only the Ventilated Seats were also available in Limited!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know on a Mercedes with power folding mirrors, if you get out and lock the doors, the mirrors automatically fold in. Useful confirmation that you actually locked the vehicle as you walk away.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

- No 360 bird view camera for parking, for being such a large vehicle I think this is a must, some of the cars in its class have this option.
- Automatic folding mirror, this should be standard for most vehicles, subaru still refuses to add this option throughout the lineups here in the US, this is their global platform and even JDM get these features on legacys and other models but the US models don't? This is a joke....global platform should also mean make some of the standard features available across all your models.
- Captain rear seats flawed, it doesn't fold properly, if you go with that option they don't properly fold and leaves a gap.
- I wish the car would have a bit more horsepower, at this size I'd expect another engine choice and that would be something that would output close to 300hp, that would make this one of the best SUV's in this class. I am not sure how much Subaru can push this new engine, maybe in the future they might be able to push its limits but its highly unlikely since Subaru doesn't take many risks these days.

I am excited about the ascent, but I'd like to see some of the above features getting worked on. I have a 2018 legacy but will eventually need a family car and I am hoping in the next 2-3 years Subaru improves the ascent.
I wish they had a H6 option for the ascent, I think they could have pushed few more ponies, that engine is proven, the only down side might be MPG.
A GX460 is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Ascent needs nothing! It is perfect! Shut your unholy mouths!

J/k :)

I would like to see the ventilated seats on the limited.

Vertical adjustment for the lower lumbar.

Passenger seat should have the same adjustments as the driver seat.

360 camera would be cool but I think its over kill. I rarely find myself wanting to see more than the backup camera provides.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It will be interesting to see what "buyers" of the new Ascent complain the most about, when they actually purchase and start driving their new Ascent!! There is always something the manufacturer "cheaped" out on or missed. It will probably be something that has not even been mentioned on this forum during the preview.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It will be interesting to see what "buyers" of the new Ascent complain the most about, when they actually purchase and start driving their new Ascent!! There is always something the manufacturer "cheaped" out on or missed. It will probably be something that has not even been mentioned on this forum during the preview.
As soon as I get my limited I'm driving it from Salt Lake City down to LA so I'll have a good chance to find something :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Haha, I can already guess, based on the Crosstrek forum.

They will complain about the radio coming back on when you start the car. There is no way to actually shut it off before you shut down the car, so it will be in the state (volume, etc) that you left it at. Pushing the button just mutes it temporarily. If you don't want to hear it on start up, you need to turn down the vol before you shut it down. Personally, I like it the way it is, but there are others that always want it off when turning on the car.

And there will be complaints about the HU and hooking up your Carplay and Android. These are mostly user learning and wrong settings on the phones, as well as bad cables. But they will complain...

Same with lots of other settings. Problem is that there are many, many options and settings, and most don't bother reading the manual and/or don't understand how to set things up.

·
Registered
597 Posts

They will complain about the radio coming back on when you start the car. There is no way to actually shut it off before you shut down the car, so it will be in the state (volume, etc) that you left it at. Pushing the button just mutes it temporarily. If you don't want to hear it on start up, you need to turn down the vol before you shut it down. Personally, I like it the way it is, but there are others that always want it off when turning on the car.
Are you saying that if you have the radio off it will turn on every time I turn the vehicle on??

I typically turn the radio off when I get in the car along with the HVAC so that when I start it the next time so I don't have music blasting A/C or cold air instead of heat. Granted my current car has everything manual so it is easy to do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are you saying that if you have the radio off it will turn on every time I turn the vehicle on??

I typically turn the radio off when I get in the car along with the HVAC so that when I start it the next time so I don't have music blasting A/C or cold air instead of heat. Granted my current car has everything manual so it is easy to do.
Problem is that you can't turn it off, only turn down the vol. So when you start it up, it will be in whatever state you left it.

·
Registered
932 Posts

When I use my Auto setting on my 2011 Limited, the climte control is smart enough to know that it doesn’t come on full blast. It actually stays at a low speed for about a minute or two before picking up speed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Problem is that you can't turn it off, only turn down the vol. So when you start it up, it will be in whatever state you left it.
Wow that sounds like a major issue. I hope I can turn it off in the Ascent. Granted I will finally be able to hook up my phone so I can stream music/podcasts which is what I typically listen to in the morning.

·
Registered
932 Posts
People have commented on the 18 Outbacks that they can leave the "Source" on something like Bluetooth so there's no audio, if that's what you're worried about. As long as you don't leave yourself on XM/FM/AM when you first turn it on, it should be quiet.

This behavior is also something that - POTENTIALLY - can be added by a software update down the road.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Accordingly to the owners manual you turn off the audio system by pressing and holding the power/mute button. This is mentioned on page 20 of the Starlink manual.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts