Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Do you think we should have a thread dedicated to High Mileage Owners Feedback?

• Yes

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
POLL DOES NOT CLOSE UNTIL Sep 24, 2019 at 5:53 PM ET

Hi all, some of you suggested that due to the fact that people with negative experiences tend to post a whole lot (understandably, since they're looking for solutions), we should have a way of getting positive feedback from high mileage Ascent owners as to how our Ascents are holding up, so, I had an idea...

So, one of the things we were discussing was implementing a thread where I changed the mileage requirements monthly. For instance, we could start with all owners who could verify 20,000 miles or more (photo of your odometer or MySubaru screenshot would work), and then add a thousand miles to the entry barrier each month for new posts.

As a for instance, if/when I became a participant, I could post something like (with screenshot of my odometer):
MILES AND PICK-UP DATE:
40,000 miles, picked June 30th, 2018

HOW I USE MY ASCENT:
I use my car for horrible NY Metro Area commutes, 5-7 days a week, off road on the beach, in dirt and mud, and anywhere I can legally get my Ascent to.

MODS:
17" rims with all terrain tires for off-roading, LED interior lights in warm white.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT MY ASCENT:
Totally love the car (etc, etc, etc... more things I like - won't bore you in the example).

ANY PROBLEMS?
Only problems I've had were (a) a rear door latch, that Subaru ended up redesigning the part for and replacing mine, (b) radio presets issue and random mph-kph speed limit placard changing which I helped debug or report (respectively).
THOUGHTS?
  • Please vote if you wish to see the idea implemented or not...
  • Please comment on your thoughts about mileage requirements (eg: start at 20,000 miles. Start higher. start lower, etc).
  • Please comment on your thoughts on any changes to the idea you have.

• Votes are private - other forum members (including me) CANNOT see how you voted.

• Poll closes in seven days on Sep 24, 2019 at 5:53 PM (dunno why the forum says it closed a moment ago)

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
Its telling me the poll will close 'a moment ago'

While I'd be included in 20000 miles, I'm not convinced thats a good starting high mileage number. It might take another survey just to find out how many miles everyone has!
I do like the idea of having such a thread. Could be very beneficial for everyone to hear lessons learned and experiences from those that do a lot of miles!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its telling me the poll will close 'a moment ago'

While I'd be included in 20000 miles, I'm not convinced thats a good starting high mileage number. It might take another survey just to find out how many miles everyone has!
I do like the idea of having such a thread. Could be very beneficial for everyone to hear lessons learned and experiences from those that do a lot of miles!
I wish I knew why. Forum bug, @AscentAdmin .

Poll closes September 24th just before 6pm ET.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might take another survey just to find out how many miles everyone has!
I've got you covered...

190 at 15K+
(rest of the numbers show on the image)

While I'd be included in 20000 miles, I'm not convinced thats a good starting high mileage number.
Any suggestions as a starting point? I'm actually kinda stuck on this one. I know my 40,000 miles is not anywhere near normal, but, on the other hand, I was trying to (rather arbitrarily) come up with a number that has "meaning" as a starting point.

I expect it will be only a smaller subset of owners, because not everyone will of course be high milers... I just don't know where to start where the number becomes meaningful in the vein of "I've driven ten billion miles and only had this problem" as opposed to "I'm at 700 miles with no issues" (I know they're extremes, but that's because I am lost as to where to start, lol!!!)

Everyone? Suggestions on starting number and how many miles to add to that number per month?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Brake in never worked for me... I accelerate slower during break-in time and get better mpg , same for long trips... my speed on long trip will kill any potential mpg improvement..

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
Any suggestions as a starting point? I'm actually kinda stuck on this one. I know my 40,000 miles is not anywhere near normal, but, on the other hand, I was trying to (rather arbitrarily) come up with a number that has "meaning" as a starting point.
after a quick google I'm starting to think 20000 might be an ok number. Ascents have been out a bit over a year now and according to the all knowing google, the average person drives 13,474 miles per year. That puts me a little above average at 24k. If you want a smaller subset with only very high mileage owners then I'd say 25-30k and going up maybe 1500 per month? Just a thought.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This sounds like a great idea. Though I’m wondering if you could recalculate the minimum mileage every 3 or 6 months or so. It might be confusing for folks who are on the cusp to be able (and then unable, etc) to post on a monthly basis. You’d also have to very often check to see if the person meets the minimum mileage.

I’d start at 24k, and then add 1500k per month (or 4500k per 3 months, or 9k per 6 months).

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This sounds like a great idea. Though I’m wondering if you could recalculate the minimum mileage every 3 or 6 months or so. It might be confusing for folks who are on the cusp to be able (and then unable, etc) to post on a monthly basis. You’d also have to very often check to see if the person meets the minimum mileage.

I’d start at 24k, and then add 1500k per month (or 4500k per 3 months, or 9k per 6 months).
Good idea.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm just a spectator in this race, since I'm in no danger of hitting whatever limits you decide. At least not for a good while.

Just as an observation, wouldn't this kind of criteria effectively limit the thing to the same group of people for all time? Is that the intention? How many 2020 (and following) owners would be able to catch up?

An alternative is to just set a minimum. If 24k is considered high enough mileage to be informative today, why not next month? It could be a rite of passage to post your experience upon hitting the chosen limit(s).

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just a spectator in this race, since I'm in no danger of hitting whatever limits you decide. At least not for a good while.

Just as an observation, wouldn't this kind of criteria effectively limit the thing to the same group of people for all time? Is that the intention? How many 2020 (and following) owners would be able to catch up?

An alternative is to just set a minimum. If 24k is considered high enough mileage to be informative today, why not next month? It could be a rite of passage to post your experience upon hitting the chosen limit(s).
Not a bad idea, but my thoughts are that the mileage should be representative of what would be considered high mileage. In 3 years, 20,000 miles would be considered low as an entry threshold. So, I would think that a high mileage threshold should remain a high mileage threshold.

That does open another possibility... A minimum per months being an additional criteria, so, in 3 years, someone with a 1 year old Ascent with 20,000 miles makes the entry requirements. What do you think?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think this is a great idea, but I'm trying to follow the system. Will there be a thread titled 20K miles and then a new thread titled 40k, etc.? That way once people hit the milestones they can report on their progress? Seems to me that having multiple threads with the mile markers would be a great tracker of progress.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this is a great idea, but I'm trying to follow the system. Will there be a thread titled 20K miles and then a new thread titled 40k, etc.? That way once people hit the milestones they can report on their progress? Seems to me that having multiple threads with the mile markers would be a great tracker of progress.
Wow, that wasn't my thought. I was just planning on revising the original thread, but I like your idea better!

I think that takes care of the concerns @RainDog posted above as well (what do you think, RainDog?).

I could ask the admins to create a new section where we could do that.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It's a struggle between enough data and relevant data right? The purpose is to show that most Ascents are doing quite nicely, thank you very much and will be reliable long term. For proper data to support that we should be 60k plus but it's just too early for that (though Robert is trying!).

I'm at 24k miles and have owned exactly one year today in fact! 3,000 miles of that is heavy towing mileage. My mileage has slowed down a lot as I moved much closer to work (50 mile round trip down to 15) and I moved in with my fiance, so no longer driving to see her every evening.

I would say make several threads with the relevant milestones. Not time based, but rather "I've made it":
20k seems like a good first thread and would get decent turnout.
36k matches the warranty, so seems like a good 2nd thread but with fewer participants for the time being (2 or 3?).
Later can add a 50k or 60k thread.

It seems the "bad trannies" happen between 0 and 6k, so getting to 20k probably means you're not one of those. Also all the A/C problems, bad batteries, etc should be weeded out. 20k is a start to "long term reliability".

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow, that wasn't my thought. I was just planning on revising the original thread, but I like your idea better!

I think that takes care of the concerns @RainDog posted above as well (what do you think, RainDog?).

I could ask the admins to create a new section where we could do that.
No concerns on my part- I just like to ask questions. ;)

I do think it's a nice suggestion. As Kevin lays out, it might strike a balance between the number of data and the quality of data. I do enjoy the stories from you super-users, but I'm also interested in how the masses are faring.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do enjoy the stories from you super-users, but I'm also interested in how the masses are faring.
Me too. I think it will help provide a balance between the two, since there's a ton of posts from the masses, and, many times more posts from a very small group with problems. I figure it's the final piece to help the forum convey a broad owner experience from one end to the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start it out at like 20,000 and the idea of adding mileage each couple months sounds good. Maybe have it max out somewhere at like 36-50,000 to allow later year models to catch up with those of us that have a years headstart, otherwise like the PP stated the 2020 and later models will never get in. I’m not like Robert but we average about 20k miles a year depending on vacations it could go up. I mostly drive my work van which I easily put 80-100,000 a year on that vehicle, just not on my Ascent, it’s the wife’s(family) car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think you should create several threads simultaneously. One for >20k miles, one for >40k miles, 60k , 80k and 100k. Most threads will remain empty until somebody gets to the mileage.
When people meet the mileage they earn the right to post on the corresponding thread to brag. There's also the race to see who is getting to the mileage first, or actually second after Robert.Mauro. Their achievement will be immortalized in the order of posts in that thread.

The mileage number of each thread should never change. Moving the goal post will only discourage people. Having additional goals on the other hand encourages participation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you should create several threads simultaneously. One for >20k miles, one for >40k miles, 60k , 80k and 100k. Most threads will remain empty until somebody gets to the mileage.
When people meet the mileage they earn the right to post on the corresponding thread to brag. There's also the race to see who is getting to the mileage first, or actually second after Robert.Mauro. Their achievement will be immortalized in the order of posts in that thread.

The mileage number of each thread should never change. Moving the goal post will only discourage people. Having additional goals on the other hand encourages participation.
I like this idea. Should serve to catch both people who rack up a lot of miles per month, but don't yet have a ton of miles...and the people who have a lot of miles, period. We fall in the first category...only 18k miles, but we've only owned it for 8 months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.