Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2019 Ascent in January and have 8000 miles on it now. I had to have it towed today for the second time since I got it! (The first time was for a different unrelated issue). Today, as I was pulling our of my company parking lot on my way to lunch, the engine seemed to shudder a little, all the dash lights came on and the engine died. I couldn't restart it; the engine would feebly turn over, but that was it. I can report that the Starlink system worked well. They had me try a couple things (push and hold the brake pedal and start button together for 20 seconds, etc....) and when that didn't work, they dispatched a tow truck. I love the car, but am starting to think that I should have paid attention to that old adage about not buying the first model year of a new car...... Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a simliar problem except it will shudder then turn over but all my radio stations reset... this happens about 2-3 times a month. I've had my car since November with about 9 I miles. I've brought it to the dealer twice and since they cant replicate the issue they "cant" fix it.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I have a simliar problem except it will shudder then turn over but all my radio stations reset... this happens about 2-3 times a month. I've had my car since November with about 9 I miles. I've brought it to the dealer twice and since they cant replicate the issue they "cant" fix it.
If you are losing presets, you probably need a firmware update. Do you have Navigation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do have navigation. Funny enough though my car did not want to turn over this morning after making this post. It looks like the battery is dead and I didnt leave anything on. I contacted the dealer and will be taking it in on monday. Will keep you posted

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I do have navigation. Funny enough though my car did not want to turn over this morning after making this post. It looks like the battery is dead and I didnt leave anything on. I contacted the dealer and will be taking it in on monday. Will keep you posted
Ask them to check for a firmware update as well.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
The dealer said it was the firmware update that was causing the battery die like you said. Let's see If that holds true
Yes, there's an ECM and head unit update. If the battery is not damaged (eg: dead cell), it should hopefully resolve it.

But, sometimes, with how complex cars are, it may be something else.

Thanks for the update, and please keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After going to the dealer and having the firmware update, the car did not want to start this morning. The dealer said there were no issues with the battery or other systems that could be causing the battery to drain. I've now had to jump start the car 2 times this week. I'm not leaving on any lights or leaving any of the doors opened for extended periods of time, so i'm kind of at a lost here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is the key near the car at night? That shouldn't cause a big drain (although it will shorten your key's battery life, personal experience!). Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Are you electronic-savvy enough to monitor the current load overnight? That would be the real diagnostic to do. At the very least, check battery voltage after shutting off the motor for the last time of the day, and again when you get in the car in the morning before you crank. Volt meter over the terminals, or use the onboard readout (it's on the forum here somewhere). If you drop significantly below 12.0v overnight, the car is draining some healthy amps overnight or your battery is kaput, or both.

Otherwise, if you have to keep jump starting but the dealer has ok'd the battery, it may be time for a new dealer.

F.S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, here is my update. The dealer had my car for a week and told me that while they could verify by the computer code that my engine had died, they could not determine why it died. They "opened a case" with the Subaru Tech Line and performed a bunch of tests but could not duplicate the problem or come up with any root cause. I did ask about software and firmware updates and they told me that they were able to rule that out. Their final word on the subject is that if it happens again, it is documented..... They disagreed with my comment that I now have a brand new unreliable car (I was told by the Service Department lady, "I would'nt say it is unreliable...") Needless to say, I am less than pleased. I think that the Lemon Law in Ohio requires 3 incidents before it can kick in...

·
Registered
38 Posts
After going to the dealer and having the firmware update, the car did not want to start this morning. The dealer said there were no issues with the battery or other systems that could be causing the battery to drain. I've now had to jump start the car 2 times this week. I'm not leaving on any lights or leaving any of the doors opened for extended periods of time, so i'm kind of at a lost here.
My Forester Xt did this. Had them put in an upgraded battery and never had the issue again. I thought it was because foresters were imported and maybe the batteries sat for a long time, but that would not be the case with Ascent being made in the USA. I think Subaru uses crappy batteries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 17' Forester Xt (turbo) would shudder and die sometimes. I figured it was a boxer engine thing. Ended up trading it in for the Ascent instead of getting it looked at. I'm thinking it may be abattery/charging system issue. Maybe a higher CCA rated battery would help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my 2019 Ascent in January and have 8000 miles on it now. I had to have it towed today for the second time since I got it! (The first time was for a different unrelated issue). Today, as I was pulling our of my company parking lot on my way to lunch, the engine seemed to shudder a little, all the dash lights came on and the engine died. I couldn't restart it; the engine would feebly turn over, but that was it. I can report that the Starlink system worked well. They had me try a couple things (push and hold the brake pedal and start button together for 20 seconds, etc....) and when that didn't work, they dispatched a tow truck. I love the car, but am starting to think that I should have paid attention to that old adage about not buying the first model year of a new car...... Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2019 Ascent engine puttered, no acceleration, leaving me to very slowly creep/coast across 4 lanes of a busy, two way street coming off a stop sign where normally you could cross safely, but instead, suddenly out of nowhere, white smoke poured from the exhaust pipes, the smoke stopped, we were barely able to move, and then could, very slowly, with unreliable response make my way to the right lane seeing a cloud of smoke behind us, and only luckily get to safety.
My wife and I could have been slammed on the drivers side if all the other drivers weren't paying attention.
It is ridiculous to me knowing now that Subaru has been aware of this issue since at least August 2019 and didn't warn people.
They are willing to risk possible deaths over a $20 part. I have NO confidence or trust for this company and vehicle.
My first Subaru, and my last. I don't want to risk this in this car ever again.
When you sit helpless facing oncoming traffic due to what now in research appears to be be a known safety defect,
it leaves you with a bad taste for their lack of concern for you.
They have stated (service) that it is a pcv valve and engine is likely damaged.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Umm, they DID warn people, even though a thousandths of a percent of vehicles have had such issues worldwide. I even created a whole thread about it. They even filed a safety recall for it.

My 2019 Ascent engine puttered, no acceleration, leaving me to very slowly creep/coast across 4 lanes of a busy, two way street coming off a stop sign where normally you could cross safely, but instead, suddenly out of nowhere, white smoke poured from the exhaust pipes, the smoke stopped, we were barely able to move, and then could, very slowly, with unreliable response make my way to the right lane seeing a cloud of smoke behind us, and only luckily get to safety.
My wife and I could have been slammed on the drivers side if all the other drivers weren't paying attention.
It is ridiculous to me knowing now that Subaru has been aware of this issue since at least August 2019 and didn't warn people.
They are willing to risk possible deaths over a $20 part. I have NO confidence or trust for this company and vehicle.
My first Subaru, and my last. I don't want to risk this in this car ever again.
When you sit helpless facing oncoming traffic due to what now in research appears to be be a known safety defect,
it leaves you with a bad taste for their lack of concern for you.
They have stated (service) that it is a pcv valve and engine is likely damaged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Umm, they DID warn people, even though a thousandths of a percent of vehicles have had such issues worldwide. I even created a whole thread about it. They even filed a safety recall for it.
Do you work for Subaru Robert?

The bit of attitude, "Um, they DID warn people, even though a thousandths of a percent of vehicles have had such issues worldwide. I even created a whole thread about it. They even filed a safety recall for it."
Filing a recall, and receiving a recall notice are two different things.

1- I have only now found this recall information link after the fact: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:CRANKCASE (PCV) Recall for 2019 ASCENT SUBARU Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls
and I still have not received a recall notice, to this day.

2- My, "My Subaru" app even NOW (and immediately after the problem while waiting for a tow truck and the smell and smoke still clearing) indicates/indicated vehicle health is "normal,"
and there is still NO recall given in the "Recalls and Service Campaigns" on the app.

Shouldn't they reach out to warn us? They have addresses, emails, phone #'s.

Should I check on this forum every day before I start my car to find out if I am at risk of death just by expecting the gas pedal to work? Ridiculous.

I've had all electronic safety features go out, my lift gate malfunctions over and over. Front brakes make noise and don't seem to respond well from high speed at times.
No transmission problem YET but... who knows when.

If you seriously think that your 'thread' notification is good enough, that's pathetic. Especially if you work for Subaru.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you work for Subaru Robert?

The bit of attitude, "Um, they DID warn people, even though a thousandths of a percent of vehicles have had such issues worldwide. I even created a whole thread about it. They even filed a safety recall for it."
Filing a recall, and receiving a recall notice are two different things.

1- I have only now found this recall information link after the fact: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:CRANKCASE (PCV) Recall for 2019 ASCENT SUBARU Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls
and I still have not received a recall notice, to this day.

2- My, "My Subaru" app even NOW (and immediately after the problem while waiting for a tow truck and the smell and smoke still clearing) indicates/indicated vehicle health is "normal,"
and there is still NO recall given in the "Recalls and Service Campaigns" on the app.

Shouldn't they reach out to warn us? They have addresses, emails, phone #'s.

Should I check on this forum every day before I start my car to find out if I am at risk of death just by expecting the gas pedal to work? Ridiculous.

I've had all electronic safety features go out, my lift gate malfunctions over and over. No transmission problem YET but... who knows when.

If you seriously think that your 'thread' notification is good enough, that's pathetic. Especially if you work for Subaru.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
"The recall is expected to begin January 24, 2020"
5 days ago and no notice or call or email.
They have 60 days to notify you by physical mail. Federal requirements stipulate physical mail notification. Once they have satisfied what they are required to do, they will proceed with other notifications.

And no, I do not work for Subaru. I am baffled that me simply pointing out that you were incorrect, would prompt such a question. I thought I was quite nice in my response.

I understand you're upset, but I suggest you don't take it out on me or anyone else here. I suggest, now that you're armed with the facts of the matter, that perhaps you consider less incendiary and more accurate posts and accusations than what was in your post I originally replied to?

Again, I understand you're upset, but you imply there's a global deadly issue for what's currently one verified motive power loss issue as of the recall filing. That's simply not true.

I'm still running the "affected" PCV valve, btw. I will get mine done when I get my notification.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts