Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone, sofar only dealer folks can chime in... can you guys try testing diagonal test on this car and post the video to all of us please?

Diagonal test? what, you don't know what it is?.... Geezzzz, see this one for reference.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
It'll be neat to see, just because... but it's the same 60/40 power split, with 50/50 locking mode when X-Mode is enabled, and an improved VDC system that goes beyond what that Outback (or any other Subaru) is capable of doing, including being capable of 4 wheel active torque vectoring (in pairs of two).

I expect it won't be long before a third party does this test.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It will be interesting.

My old XTs are rear (slightly) street bias. With the turbo, they pull out of corners like you can't believe. They feel almost RWD.

But I still do great when I lift a rear wheel. Even without VDC or X mode. Just a simple rear LSD. And I don't mean the old school paper tabs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Robert for chiming in. I have being comparing the Ascent's rear chassis "sticks" to my current enclave's solid arm, got a little bit concerned. What's your opinion on it? how strong and durable is Ascent's relatively weak "sticks" looking comparing with other brands? Say Enclave, Traverse, etc rear chassis?

See a picture below for reference what I meant Enclave's solid arm...

Enclave: http://www.thatcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Enclave-Rear-Suspension-300x225.jpg
https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/.../7/5/75528_2011~Chevrolet~Traverse_4_1000.jpg

Ascent: http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=621&d=1527290709
http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=631&d=1527290709

I know you all may say, well, they are different. But, they are in a sense the same , the rear suspension as it stands for. In my opinion, if in more rough conditions, it seems Enclave's solid piece may be less prone to bend or break and a flying rock or a mishap drop in a big hole may ruin Ascent's sticks...

Let me know what you think plz..

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
What's your opinion on it? how strong and durable is Ascent's relatively weak "sticks" looking comparing with other brands? Say Enclave, Traverse, etc rear chassis?

Let me know what you think plz..
One of those looks like a cast assembly, which is more prone to cracking on impact. The Subaru assemblies are supposedly* designed to bend and absorb serious impact force to save far more expensive repairs. As a for instance, this happened to me.

You'll note a few things.
  1. I only bent the steering rod
  2. The replacement is stronger (like what you see in the Ascent), but would still be the first point of failure.
  3. My 2010 Outback, and the Ascent, all have "bend" and "break-away" points*

Regardless, I've slammed into holes, taken off-road trips way too fast, and more... it took literally slamming the wheel into a cement and steel building support pillar to bend that bar (and nothing else was damaged).

So, I'm not worried. Especially since the Ascent uses a lot more lot higher strength steel, and the uni-frame plus the sub frame makes for a pretty solid body. The Ascent felt very solid when I drove it, and looked very solid in the "two diagonal wheels off the ground" test videos.

* Per my Subaru mechanic.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The off road Magazine review had a sizable off camber wheel lift section. It appeared to operate just like the other Subaru products non issue etc.

Your right cast suspension parts on vehicles that can by nature of their intended use might see over loaded suspension parts should be avoided. SUVs trucks etc. Passenger cars less so etc.

BMW X5 has cast rear suspension arms. It was the point of failure for a very well known Dakar team the X5 was their on route support vehicle turned out to be the most hated piece of equipment the team had.

You never ever want cast suspension parts on SUV type vehicles.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Among other places in the video:
  • 2m50s
  • 3m24s
  • 3m50s

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great videos and happy to see that automotive publications are testing the off road capability of the Ascent right off the bat. Definitely seems like that have package some impressive tech into this new CVT system.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Great videos and happy to see that automotive publications are testing the off road capability of the Ascent right off the bat. Definitely seems like that have package some impressive tech into this new CVT system.
Pretty sure Subaru was behind that. They've been actively pushing for off-road reviews, including this gem of a video showing an Ascent Touring with 20" stock Falken street tires chewing up the beach.

I was seriously considering begging the dealer to zero cost (to me) swap a set of 18's and then let them make a few bucks off a Premium or Base customer doing the upgrade.

This vid shows driving, towing, beach (5m3s, 6m8s), windy roads and more...

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Pretty sure Subaru was behind that. They've been actively pushing for off-road reviews, including this gem of a video showing an Ascent Touring with 20" stock Falken street tires chewing up the beach.

I was seriously considering begging the dealer to zero cost (to me) swap a set of 18's and then let them make a few bucks off a Premium or Base customer doing the upgrade.

This vid shows driving, towing, beach (5m3s, 6m8s), windy roads and more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtrSmo11zyo
Were you able to convince the dealer to do the swap?

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Were you able to convince the dealer to do the swap?
After seeing the video, I am debating if I want to. I see the dealer on Saturday, and now I am not sure. :plain:

·
Registered
245 Posts
So...what is all the obsession about the diagonal test? Does this help validate your purchase somehow?
I’m just curious because I mean...it’s a Subaru; it should be almost given that based on their AWD history, that it will do just fine.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
So...what is all the obsession about the diagonal test? Does this help validate your purchase somehow?
I’m just curious because I mean...it’s a Subaru; it should be almost given that based on their AWD history, that it will do just fine.
Well, there's been some misinformation about the Ascent posted in articles. And, every new release, it seems similar misinformation is spread about the latest Subie generation. For instance, there's a site talking about the Ascent AWD in a way that basically says it's FWD with rear assist like the competition (but a very reactive version of that)... duh, no, it seems so "reactive" because it's full time AWD.

And, for 90% of non Subaru owners, and even a big percent of Subaru owners, they don't understand the difference.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, there's been some misinformation about the Ascent posted in articles. And, every new release, it seems similar misinformation is spread about the latest Subie generation. For instance, there's a site talking about the Ascent AWD in a way that basically says it's FWD with rear assist like the competition (but a very reactive version of that)... duh, no, it seems so "reactive" because it's full time AWD.

And, for 90% of non Subaru owners, and even a big percent of Subaru owners, they don't understand the difference.
...and somehow a diagonal test would convince them of this?

I've seen "barely" capable suvs complete/do well on diagonal tests.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
...and somehow a diagonal test would convince them of this?

I've seen "barely" capable suvs complete/do well on diagonal tests.
I've not seen that. And on single wheel, I've seen virtually none once you get to single rear wheel, except the Subaru.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bingo, Robert, you are right on. I have yet seen one "barely" capable suv do easily on diagonal tests, of course, not those simple flat berm crossing.

For those not convinced, check out some diagonal tests on youtube, you will see what I meant.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts