Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a recently purchased 2021 Subaru ascent. It sat for approximately nine days in the garage and when we went to start it it would not turn over and had to be jumpstarted. Took to the dealer and they did a load test and stated the battery was fine. I contacted Subaru of America and they recommended getting a jump pack. They also specifically stated they recommend starting the car at least every four days to ensure the battery has proper charge. I have never experienced this with any other type of vehicle. I have spoken with several mechanics, all of whom have said this is not reasonable and should not be occurring in the first place. This is my first Subaru experience and so far I’m not impressed with their response.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
We have a recently purchased 2021 Subaru ascent. It sat for approximately nine days in the garage and when we went to start it it would not turn over and had to be jumpstarted. Took to the dealer and they did a load test and stated the battery was fine. I contacted Subaru of America and they recommended getting a jump pack. They also specifically stated they recommend starting the car at least every four days to ensure the battery has proper charge. I have never experienced this with any other type of vehicle. I have spoken with several mechanics, all of whom have said this is not reasonable and should not be occurring in the first place. This is my first Subaru experience and so far I’m not impressed with their response. View attachment 13101
I agree that if all other systems are operating properly, There is no legitimate reason for an owner to have to worry about starting the vehicle after four days of sitting. It is utter nonsense and I would escalate this within SOA. What they suggested is a work around and not even a good one (a trickle charger would be the way to go since you would not be home to start it).

I would most definitely try to figure out what was causing the fast drain. Might have you left a fob near the vehicle? I have posted on the forum a way to check the circuits for dark drains. At that time it was focused on the known lift gate drain which has since been corrected for later 2020 and 21 models via a control module replacement under a TSB.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
948 Posts
Something is amiss. During the lockdown, my '20 sat as long as 2 and 3 weeks without running. Never needed a jump.

that was a pretty lame "official" position from SOA.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
948 Posts
I couldn't resist. On this thread about the dead battery, Subaru ad featuring the OEM battery. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
Something is amiss. During the lockdown, my '20 sat as long as 2 and 3 weeks without running. Never needed a jump.

that was a pretty lame "official" position from SOA.
I kinda agree here. Over the past year with us staying home most of the time other than food shopping or picking up Friday night takeout to benefit local places, there was little driving going on and I largely used Professor Dr. SWMBO's brand new MY20 Forester Limited rather than my Ascent because it had "no miles" on it and I had done a lot of round trips to Florida with the Ascent the previous year to deal with parental affairs. So my Ascent often sat for like two weeks without being started. It never hiccuped when I did ask it to start after sitting in the driveway for so long. Unless there's some kind of parasitic drain problem with a specific vehicle, no way should a start be required every few days.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Last year in February right before the lockdowns our Ascent sat in the hot blazing sun at a Port Canaveral park & ride while we went on a 7 day cruise.The vehicle was just past the original warranty,started right up using the app while on the shuttle.So I don't buy their lame excuse on how to maintain a battery when there are reported & documented issues.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring, Crystal White Pearl
3 Posts
Suggest you think carefully about anything that might have created a drain. Have only had our 2021 Ascent Touring for a month and haven’t experienced any battery issues, but back in March we returned to our 2017 Outback parked in an airport garage during a 10-day trip and found it completely dead. I was mystified for a bit until I noticed my wife had left the passenger vanity mirror in the sun visor open after checking the fit of her COVID mask before leaving the car. The little light with that mirror was enough to drain the battery over that period of time. The battery tested out just fine after it was jumped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, had same problem with leaving vanity lights on....needed to jump start the battery. Also had to jump start battery twice for tailgate launching in garage...must have sat on FOB. 2020 Touring Ascent. Replaced batter with Optima Yellow, although I think Odyssey Battery is better (and very expensive). Also critical that one purchase a small jump starter like a Noco to get one out of jams. Overall, I hope that Subaru can come up with a solution to a very bad design problem. You would think that this battery drain issue would have been caught during testing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I’m glad someone posted this, as I experienced this very issue a few years back.
A little background- I’ve worked in the auto industry for 17 years, between GM, Audi, Range Rover, and Subaru. Ive seen what certain brands look like in the reliability department- Subaru certainly is one of the top dogs for being reliable….Ive owned 32 vehicles, most of which were purchased new. Needless to say, I know a thing or two about cars. However, as technology evolves, I too am caught learning stuff about vehicles on almost a daily basis.
Rewind to about 2-3 years ago, I had a 2019 BMW X5, a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring, and a 2019 Range Rover Velar in my home garage.
One day, the 3 month old Range Rover was dead after only 2 days of sitting untouched. 6 months later the Outback had the same problem after about a week of sitting idle. Then earlier this year my 2021 Outback XT Limited did the same thing. Last year I had the same problem with the BMW after sitting for 2 weeks.
After a bit of research, and trouble shooting, realized it was it was user error. Shocker. Our head tech at Range Rover asked me if I leave my cars in the garage, closed at night. To which I replied yes. Then asked me if we leave the keys to the vehicles in the car or on them when they are parked, I responded yes.
Come to find out, that when a vehicle with a push button is left unlocked, even worse, unlocked with the keys in the vehicle, it actually drains the battery exponentially faster, than if you lock your car, and leave the keys for the vehicles in the house. After a bit of research, this is a known thing all across brands- Toyota, Kia, Subaru, BMW, Land Rover, Audi, etc.

Vehicles electronics don’t really ‘go to sleep’ if you don’t lock the vehicle. If you’re even more of a glutton for punishment, and leave the keys in the car, it will keep the vehicle in a ready state, for you to depress the brake pedal, and push the bottom to turn it on. Fast forward to today, after locking said vehicles, and leaving the keys in the house, I can go a month without driving one, and not have an issue at all.
So before you worry that the original poster has an electrical drain somewhere, try locking the vehicle when you’re going to leave it for more than a day or so… probably will solve your issue. Most owners manuals do actually mention this issue too, depending on the brand.
*** As for Subaru of America’s response- I’m sorry. It’s a bit over the top, if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Yes, had same problem with leaving vanity lights on....needed to jump start the battery. Also had to jump start battery twice for tailgate launching in garage...must have sat on FOB. 2020 Touring Ascent. Replaced batter with Optima Yellow, although I think Odyssey Battery is better (and very expensive). Also critical that one purchase a small jump starter like a Noco to get one out of jams. Overall, I hope that Subaru can come up with a solution to a very bad design problem. You would think that this battery drain issue would have been caught during testing.
the TSB for the gate control module did fix this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts