Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.....I removed the CVT drain plug when trying to change the oil. Anyone have a picture or can tell me exactly where the fill plug is so I can put the fluid back in? I understand the 2019 Ascent has a slightly different transmission from previous Subarus and I can't find a picture or video. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I can’t say where the fill is but a couple things you should know about the transmission fluid.

1. The Ascent CVT transmission fluid Is a new formula made just for the new Ascent transmission. All other fluids will end up in transmission failure.
2. The transmission fluid is to be filled and topped off at a very precise transmission temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Based on Robert's comments...I'd say that the safe move is a tow to the dealership for remediation, particularly around that last point.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sadly, here's what you need to know:
  • The Ascent CVT fluid is filled via one of the vent tubes.
    You have two that come out of the transmission, near the bell housing, to vents right behind your intercooler. One is your front differential vent. Your front differential is a separate, sealed unit, inside the CVT's housing. You do NOT want to put CVT fluid in that vent hole. It gets filled through the CVT vent tube's hole - you remove the tube from the CVT, and fill until it overflows. Then while running and monitoring the temp, per the exact procedure in the Ascent's TR690 service guide, test, fill, test, fill.

• The Ascent CVT must be filled in a certain temperature range, ran through drive-directions, and filled (and filled) until full.
    You need an SSMv4 (Subaru Select Monitor), or a known accurate tool to read the PROPER CVT temperature sensors - do not rely on a case temperature (the heat-up time isn't sufficient to get an accurate temperature from the CVT case).

• You should run the CVT flush kit through it since it's empty.

• PLEASE only run the correct Subaru fluid.
    There is only ONE Subaru fluid that works in it, and it's not the one the WRX's TR690 uses. Aftermarket or other Subaru fluids will toast your CVT. I've already helped a number of dealerships figure out why they were toasting CVTs, and even got a second memo out to them reminding them to use only the Ascent (and now Outback XT) CVT fluid to prevent damage to the CVT.

Keep in mind, aftermarket CVT fluid is primarily designed for push-belt CVTs, and not chain driven CVTs like Subaru's and Audi's.
I would not put drained fluid back in unless I was a gazillion percent sure that there was no cross contamination, and no missing fluid.
Cross contamination may damage, stick or clog a valve in the valve body, or change the properties of the CVT fluid causing improper operation and damage.

I could walk you through ripping the thing apart and putting it back together, yet, nonetheless, even with having the skills and knowledge to do that, my Ascent is at Competition Subaru right now to have its CVT service (what a coincidental timing), because, I have no intentions of doing something so exacting, where, a screwup on my part will cost me $8,000 for parts and labor.

I know I am more than capable of doing it, but the few hundred bucks it costs for them to do it, to me, is worth me not taking the responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Heck, if something happens to it later, I don't want to be blamed for whatever happens. This is one service I definitely want in writing as done by a dealership.

So, personally, if it was me, I would flat bed it to a dealership to have them fill it (remember, you cannot two wheel tow a Subaru without destroying the AWD system).

IF YOU REALLY WANT:
I can send you the link to get all of the steps, with the results FULLY being your responsibility - but, this is one area where I'd really rather not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I plan to put just the fluid back in that I took out. It's not contaminated. Do you happen to have a picture of the fill plug? Still not sure where it is. Thanks, Jeff

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thank you. I plan to put just the fluid back in that I took out. It's not contaminated. Do you happen to have a picture of the fill plug? Still not sure where it is. Thanks, Jeff
My Ascent isn't here, so, I cannot take a picture of it for you. I won't have it for a day, or two, due to my work schedule (and the schedule they're open).

The Ascent TR690 Service Manual is here:

There's no direct link. You will have to enter the vehicle information and then search for the appropriate document in the Service Manual.

You must still follow the filling procedures so that the valve body, variator cones, cooling lines, radiator and filters refill - before you put the CVT under load.

You'd need to pay for a subscription, but, they start at 3 days, which isn't expensive.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I recall this transmission drain and refill dance on a couple of Mercedes. Special checking tool that was six feet long, special fluid fill location, special temperature requirements, etc.

Some folks simply learned to drain and measure accurately - then refill with exactly the same amount. Fluid temperature differences have negligible volume result.

One thing learned during those years - fill for the life of the transmission means exactly that. If you don’t change it, the transmission will fail ... define as the life of the transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.