Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently working on an Insert that shrinks the size of the cup holder and I was wondering what size I should use. The design I’m prototyping right now has an 80 mm diameter hole. I was wondering if this would shrink the cup holder size enough to be sufficient?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Might be moot. Subaru is making a real one that maintains the cupholder lighting and fits cups better. But you’ll have to wait until May.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
"In general" the challenge here is that different folks need different diameters. Most of the drinks I ever have in my vehicle are Starbucks type cups or similar and occasionally an aluminum seltzer can or one of several transportable hot cups that are all generally similar sized to the Starbucks type hot and cold cups. Folks who use beefier water bottles or use the smaller diameter aluminum bottles are not going to be happy with something "so big" or "so small" as I need. You almost have to have multiple offerings to match the market. If you're using 3D printing and can live with minimal inventory of completed products, having multiple versions would be relatively easy to support. You get an order...you print out the part...you ship it. Where it gets more cumbersome is if you are fortunate enough to get increased sales volume such that you have to pre-produce inventory to keep up, figuring out the mix of sizes that doesn't force you to over produce comes into play.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Where it gets more cumbersome is if you are fortunate enough to get increased sales volume such that you have to pre-produce inventory to keep up, figuring out the mix of sizes that doesn't force you to over produce comes into play.
I resemble that remark.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Something springy that fits in the gap between the cup holders, holds smaller cups/bottles against the side of the cup holders but doesn’t get in the way of bigger ones. Saw something similar in a forester once.

I’d buy something like that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts