Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Is it true the Subaru Ascent cross bars are a Thule product?
Is it possible to lock the cross bars to the OEM factory rails?
My dealer did not know.
Thank you J

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought they were but when I got my new Ascent a few days ago, I discovered that they do not have a lock on them or a logo - there is a star screw on the top that secures them to the side rails. I found the star driver in the glove box.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
423 Posts
The only ones I saw on the Subaru site were the Thule Aero ones, in a couple of different versions. Are there other ones that Subaru sells or are an option at initial purchase?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
423 Posts
Guess I'm wrong, I just looked at the site and those don't say Thule, although a lot of the other add ons are Thule. And I thought Aero was a Thule trademark name, but not sure about that either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thule does sell products through Subaru as accessories as people already stated. Does it come at a premium thru Subaru? I don’t know, but it’s the same product that you can get through your local bike shop or REI. However, some crossbars that come standard/option for some Subaru are not branded. They generally sit between the rails and have a clamp style mounting system. I don’t think they have a locks.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
The Aero Extended are a Thule product, iirc. They do lock (thanks @djrussell). The Aero are not a Thule product. They do not lock, and, Thule does not have a lock mechanism that's compatible. You can also buy the locking version of the Aero Extended from Subaru or Thule directly. You can buy rails similar to the Aero from Thule, with or without locks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have the the Thule Extended Crossbars purchased under Subaru part number SOA567X010. They're branded Thule and don't say Subaru anywhere on them. I can confirm that they DO lock. There's a lock tumbler on each "end cap" that lets it slide out and has a hex wrench attached. Use that hex wrench to loosen/tighten the strap attaching it to the roof rails.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Thanks @djrussell!! I ordered them based on the pre-release accessories guide, for my Ascent, but, they weren't available on the Ascent's release date, so, they never came, and I never got to see them. I've updated my post accordingly.

In the end, I am glad they weren't available. I prefer the flexibility of my Gazelle T4 over the rooftop tent I had planned. For one, it makes setting up a basecamp easier. For another, I've not seen any other style tent its size that sets up so ridiculously easy. It takes more time for me to drop the ground tarp and stake it all out than it does to set up the tent itself, lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts