Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking to purchase an aftermarket fog light kit and was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to purchase the factory covers with cut outs or if I can modify the ones that came on my Premium that have no cut outs? I have gone through many posts on fogs and have not seen any mention of this being done and any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm wondering the same. I'm looking at the Rally Innovations fogs and trying to figure out if I can just cut out the hole in the bezel. It'll depend if the requisite mounting bosses are still there. I understand the RI lights mount in the same way as the factory lights.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I'm wondering the same. I'm looking at the Rally Innovations fogs and trying to figure out if I can just cut out the hole in the bezel. It'll depend if the requisite mounting bosses are still there. I understand the RI lights mount in the same way as the factory lights.

For what it's worth, I had the Subaru LED fog lamps installed on my Premium after I took possession, and it's my understanding everything was there and ready for the lights to be installed. The only variance between my setup and the factory installed setup is the on/off switch is a button on the lower left dash versus the factory switch on the turn signal stalk. I am also making an assumption that they used the mounting housing that comes with the Premium, meaning the hole was either cutout, punched out, or it might be removable from the inside, but I don't know that with certainty. I do not, however, believe they replaced the entire housing to install the stock fog lamps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ha! that is the same kit I have my eye on.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I guess if/when I get around to looking at the existing bezels I'd be able to see if the bosses are there. From AnacortesArmyGuy it sounds like the harness is there, except for the dash switch itself. I presume there's a relay for the fogs in the under hood fuse box.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I factory fog light kit includes new bezels. Mine did. However they look just like the blanks that came on mine only not cut out for the lens. Aftermarket lights would be simple to just mod the stock blank bezels in my opinion.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The factory kit includes mounts for the lights and adjust so think about how you will mount and adjust your aftermarkets

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The Rally Innovation lights we've been discussing include mounts that attach directly to the bosses in the plastic bezel. They allow for up/down aiming. If you go for the wide pattern, the lights produce a very wide pattern so left/right aiming isn't really needed.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah. I've have a Premium and installed Auxito LEDs for the low and high beams and I feel these give me plenty of normal light...the low beam projectors are wide and bright, and the high beams are redonculous. Fogs would only be for improved vis in fog/snow so I'm thinking of the wide beams and, depending on the pattern, would keep them angled somewhat downward to minimize illuminating the fog/snow out in front.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
58 Posts
i hope to be able to put PIAA bulbs in my Limited model. I put PIAAs into my Outback. It's interesting the difference between aiming them according to PIAA versus the factory. Aiming them on my Outback according to PIAA made a world of difference!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.