Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Bi-Directional scanner that is compatible with the Subaru Ascent. I am currently looking at the Autel MS906BT and wanted to know if anyone has experience with this scanner and the Ascent. Does anyone recommend a similar bi-directional scanner? Thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i think Autel only extended support to 2019+ on TPMS ... noting else is really supported...
why do you think its compatible with the Subaru Ascent ? i was never able to get a compatibility list from Autel

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to them about compatibility and the rep said that it is compatible. I did not think to ask him what that meant. I emailed them today about it and hope to hear from them on Monday. Hoping to hear from this group on experiences with scanners and the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth scanner. It works with your apple or android device. It recognizes my other cars but not the Ascent. It does read the basic OBD2 codes and functions and is good for that.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I got the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth scanner. It works with your apple or android device. It recognizes my other cars but not the Ascent. It does read the basic OBD2 codes and functions and is good for that.
Which app are you using with that scanner? If it’s this one, I’ve had success in the Ascent using it with the OBDLink app on iOS. I used to have my phone jailbroken and was able to mirror my phone on my head unit so I put a fun boost gauge on there

edit: after reading further back I see you’re looking for a no-directional scanner. I’ve never tried to reset anything or send commands to the Ascent unfortunately

·
Registered
680 Posts
I am using the same as you are. I can read all the basic stuff. Not the trans temp.
ask them to list all supported Functions for Ascent out of 25 Listed Service Functions
if you going to get it , get it from place with easy return (like amazon prime) and also get Autel MaxiAP AP200 it is only free for 1 car make ... they say it same as MK808

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have had several DYI OBD2 scanners both self contained and iPhone based. the iPhone based are good to leave the dongle in the car so that it can be used while on the road.

I have contacted both Launch and Autel about their bi-directional scanners. They are a bit expense for most folks but I am a very weird engineer that loves these sorts of things. The person at Launch was not very helpful while Raul at Autel really seemed to know what he was talking about. He said that the Autel MS906BT will scan all computer modules in the car and not just the power train module. It does support the Ascent and the web site that lists the compatible cars is not up to date. He said that it will also support the Ascent maintenance and special functions. I ordered one from Walmart (listed as their official dealer). Now I am waiting for it to get here. I hate waiting...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have had several DYI OBD2 scanners both self contained and iPhone based. the iPhone based are good to leave the dongle in the car so that it can be used while on the road.

I have contacted both Launch and Autel about their bi-directional scanners. They are a bit expense for most folks but I am a very weird engineer that loves these sorts of things. The person at Launch was not very helpful while Raul at Autel really seemed to know what he was talking about. He said that the Autel MS609BT will scan all computer modules in the car and not just the power train module. It does support the Ascent and the web site that lists the compatible cars is not up to date. He said that it will also support the Ascent maintenance and special functions. I ordered one from Walmart (listed as their official dealer). Now I am waiting for it to get here. I hate waiting...
906 right ?

i was going to suggest getting MS906TS model as it supports TPMS .. too late now ...

take some pictures, and let as know if Key programming function is working

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 906bt. I will correct it above. thanks. I looked at the TS but the premium was too much for the little extra. I could get a really good dedicated TMPS tool for less than the price differential.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Autel MS906BT bi-directional scan tool came in. It is impressive to a newbie like me. I have not had much time to play with it. I did run a complete scan and was surprised to find it scanned 26 modules on the Ascent. I was also surprised to find some faults that were set on them. I believe that they are history reports of one time glitches and not really problems. If anyone has more insight please let me know. The report it creates is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
well $60 Diacnostic and monitoring of Autel MaxiAP AP200 can see 21 modules

PRG (Power rear gate)
PWP (Power window (passenger))
PWRR (Power window (Rear Right))
PWRL (Power window (Rear Left))
PWS (Power window (switch))
real difference should be in Service Functions...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts