Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this post is long, just trying to give as much relevant info as possible.

So I'm having 3 mechanical issues with my 2019 ascent. 2 im able to recreate the issue so I'll be taking it in soon for those. One is a grinding type noise from the front passenger wheel. Sounds exactly like an issue I had with my cherokee that turned out to be a bad bearing or something like that. 2nd is in stop and go or slow traffic under light acceleration. There feels like a slight shudder around 15-20mph. Im assuming its the fake shifting acting up. But the one I cant pin down what it is or how to recreate it to show subaru, is from time to time the car will buck back and forth. Like im rapidly pumping the breaks, but the rpm bounces quickly +/- 300 rpm while this bucking happens for the 1-2 seconds it going on. The only thing I can say about this issue is it seems to do it more often on really cold mornings shortly after I start my drive to work. But it will still do this later in a day aswell just not as often. Anyone have a clue as to what this bucking issue is or how to resolve it? Im planning a long drive camping trip in a few months towing 3500-4000lbs. Im sure if any of these 3 issues act up while towing it will end up being a bad day for me. Ive had the 2 recalls done already. The recalls did help with the shudder and bucking a little bit, however it didnt take the problems away. Any help is appriciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds to me like the torque converter lockup...it typically does this between 15-20 MPH. But Ive been wrong before!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds to me like the torque converter lockup...it typically does this between 15-20 MPH. But Ive been wrong before!
I know this post is long, just trying to give as much relevant info as possible.

So I'm having 3 mechanical issues with my 2019 ascent. 2 im able to recreate the issue so I'll be taking it in soon for those. One is a grinding type noise from the front passenger wheel. Sounds exactly like an issue I had with my cherokee that turned out to be a bad bearing or something like that. 2nd is in stop and go or slow traffic under light acceleration. There feels like a slight shudder around 15-20mph. Im assuming its the fake shifting acting up. But the one I cant pin down what it is or how to recreate it to show subaru, is from time to time the car will buck back and forth. Like im rapidly pumping the breaks, but the rpm bounces quickly +/- 300 rpm while this bucking happens for the 1-2 seconds it going on. The only thing I can say about this issue is it seems to do it more often on really cold mornings shortly after I start my drive to work. But it will still do this later in a day aswell just not as often. Anyone have a clue as to what this bucking issue is or how to resolve it? Im planning a long drive camping trip in a few months towing 3500-4000lbs. Im sure if any of these 3 issues act up while towing it will end up being a bad day for me. Ive had the 2 recalls done already. The recalls did help with the shudder and bucking a little bit, however it didnt take the problems away. Any help is appriciated.
I have my 2020 in at th dealership right now for the same problem. I believe what you are feeling is the torque converter coming in way too early and causing the shutter or as we called it when I was the service director with GM, the infamous torque converter "CHUGGLE". As for the grinding the brakes have been updated three times to address the grinding noise. There have been lots of replies to that along with part numbers on this forum in the brake section. I am think your answers will be found there.🙂

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2020 limited with only 10,000km on it started doing a similar stutter on light acceleration, sometimes low speed but usually up a light grade at around 50-60kph. Additionally I had a high pitch chirp sound when shifting from park into drive(or into neutral for that matter). Dealership checked it out twice with not much results so the 3rd time at 18,000km when I brought it in they were able to see the rpm stutter and hear the sound was getting louder. After 2 days at the shop they said subaru of america decided to change the whole transmission. 4 days later (almost a full week at the shop while I had a loaner). I got a brand new tranny. It rides MUCH smoother through the fake shifts and the stutter and chirp are gone. Good thing it all was under warranty! Also for those that might ask what the actual problem was? even the dealer couldn't figure it out and in fact were not allowed to dig deeper into the tranny as a new one came and the old one was put back in the crate for headquarters to play with.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2020 limited with only 10,000km on it started doing a similar stutter on light acceleration, sometimes low speed but usually up a light grade at around 50-60kph. Additionally I had a high pitch chirp sound when shifting from park into drive(or into neutral for that matter). Dealership checked it out twice with not much results so the 3rd time at 18,000km when I brought it in they were able to see the rpm stutter and hear the sound was getting louder. After 2 days at the shop they said subaru of america decided to change the whole transmission. 4 days later (almost a full week at the shop while I had a loaner). I got a brand new tranny. It rides MUCH smoother through the fake shifts and the stutter and chirp are gone. Good thing it all was under warranty! Also for those that might ask what the actual problem was? even the dealer couldn't figure it out and in fact were not allowed to dig deeper into the tranny as a new one came and the old one was put back in the crate for headquarters to play with.

Goodluck.
I think I may have the same or similar issue as you describe here or maybe closer to what @SkiPro3 describes... I am curious - when you experienced the stutter, did the RPMs jump around a bit? Mine happens predictably around 2000 rpms and will jump a few hundred rpms for just a second. And how were you finally able to get them to notice the issue? Did you take one of the service techs for a drive and show them? I have taken mine in and the techs can't recreate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And how were you finally able to get them to notice the issue? Did you take one of the service techs for a drive and show them? I have taken mine in and the techs can't recreate it.
They did not notice it the first time around but when I brought it in again it was able to show up on their tablet when they took it for a test drive. Also yes the RPM fluttered a bit when it happened. On my old outback I had a misfire problem where the dealer said if it happens drive directly to them and do not turn the car off so it will show up in the system(annoying to have to drive directly there I know) but that just makes me think that maybe if nothing is showing up for them now with your car, perhaps when you turn the car off it resets the error? Not sure but just something to ask them. Goodluck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me this morning during a turn. Four or five jumps between 1500rpm to 2000rpm under very light throttle. Right at the RPM where the car wants to drop back on RPMs with that 'stumble' that many have reported on. Wondering if I was literally jumping right in-between conditions since the engine wasn't fully warmed up. I've had what I think is similar confusion with moderate acceleration between fake shifts/normal CVT operation at the 3K or just mark; car seems confused if it wants to be a CVT or fake shift and goes-back-and-forth trying to decide.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
713 Posts
I've been experiencing some similar issues in my 2021 with ~6,000 miles on the clock. Most often its just a single buck or lurch at slow speeds (<25 mph) and low RPM, it feels pretty similar to letting off the clutch too abruptly in a manual. Sometimes it's a hard "shift" at higher speeds (~45-55 mph). The least common is the bounce, but it has happened a few times.

I haven't taken it in, and I don't think I will until I can reliably reproduce the issue. I think it will be a waste of time otherwise. I've yet to find any real pattern or a single spot where it happens, but I do notice that these things are more common when the drivetrain is cold.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
243 Posts
I haven't taken it in, and I don't think I will until I can reliably reproduce the issue. I think it will be a waste of time otherwise. I've yet to find any real pattern or a single spot where it happens, but I do notice that these things are more common when the drivetrain is cold.
You know... this got me thinking here. When I had a cardiac event they sent me home with a halter monitor to record over 48 hrs.

Why don't dealerships have this for cars?

"All" it needs is a stripped out version of SS-whateverit'scalled running on some SoC that is powered right off of the ODBC port. It's dumb, has das blinkin lights to tell you it's working and logged an error with non-volatile memory to record for return to dealer/SoA for analysis. I use quotes because easy looking things in system design often aren't. Programming is just typing and that's easy to do, right?

Subaru can call it StarPort or something to jerk Musk's chain. :D

Although Engineer-Musk would probably nod in appreciation of the telemetry gathering. He's pragmatic that way. SocialMedia-Musk is a nutjob; F that guy.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
713 Posts
You know... this got me thinking here. When I had a cardiac event they sent me home with a halter monitor to record over 48 hrs.

Why don't dealerships have this for cars?

"All" it needs is a stripped out version of SS-whateverit'scalled running on some SoC that is powered right off of the ODBC port. It's dumb, has das blinkin lights to tell you it's working and logged an error with non-volatile memory to record for return to dealer/SoA for analysis. I use quotes because easy looking things in system design often aren't. Programming is just typing and that's easy to do, right?

Subaru can call it StarPort or something to jerk Musk's chain. :D

Although Engineer-Musk would probably nod in appreciation of the telemetry gathering. He's pragmatic that way. SocialMedia-Musk is a nutjob; F that guy.
I'm on board for this, I think it would make these sort of issues way easier to diagnose. There should be a button that allows you to mark the time you're having an issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm on board for this, I think it would make these sort of issues way easier to diagnose. There should be a button that allows you to mark the time you're having an issue.
Oh yeah a tagging button is a great idea. Sorting through hundreds of thousands or millions of lines of logging to find something is... not fun. Ask me how I know. 😣

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had this happen with my 19 touring. They changed the transmission control module (I don't recall the exact part name and I traded the car recently so I can't look up the receipt) about 2 years ago or so, it resolved the issue. But it started coming back again last fall, and then the recall issue came up. I don't know if they were related or not. But it was kind of like when a nearly dead clutch grabs a bit, and it was very noticeable between 15 and about 30 mph. But overall I never really had any major issues with the CVT in daily driving. I still prefer a regular automatic but I wouldn't not buy a car because it had a cvt.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,474 Posts
Oh yeah a tagging button is a great idea.
If they put a logging button in every car they made it would make diagnostics easier but the number of service visits would likely increase tremendously. Ever look at all the soft errors logged by a computer?

How about a command line interface on the infotainment screen and we can watch all the code in real time. 😏

·
Registered
243 Posts
If they put a logging button in every car they made it would make diagnostics easier but the number of service visits would likely increase tremendously. Ever look at all the soft errors logged by a computer?

How about a command line interface on the infotainment screen and we can watch all the code in real time. 😏
I hadn't thought about a built-in system. I'd love that. The ability for SSM4-level logging onboard would be amazing. Set it to output to a USB drive and dive on in. Hell you could email it to the service department. Well... depending on how verbose those logs are. I've had some systems spit out 30+GB text files because the program doesn't roll files when they get to a certain size. Notepad doesn't open a file of that size. Hell, Notepad++ doesn't either. ;)

I think a SSM4 ODBC plugin unit is probably better due to an easier ability to update it. Since Subaru updates the software fairly often it seems the path of least resistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts