Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Received a letter in the mail from Subaru extending the battery warranty on 2019-2020 Ascents to 5 years/100,000 Km.
Interested to hear how many Ascent owners have had a battery replaced under this warranty and what was the eligible battery issues/symptoms for the warranty claim to be honored?

Cheers,

· Registered
253 Posts
2019 ascent owner here! Still the oem battery and 4 years of ownership! I’ll change the battery next month whether the battery is still
Ok or not! I don’t want to be stranded somewhere because of nyo functioning battery! 4 years for an oem battery is good enough I think

· Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
I recently replaced the battery in my ‘19 around 60k mi. SOA kindly brushed my request off. I’ve seen posts with the complete opposite outcome. Mileage varies wildly on this one.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently replaced the battery in my ‘19 around 60k mi. SOA kindly brushed my request off. I’ve seen posts with the complete opposite outcome. Mileage varies wildly on this one.
Thanks, I get that impression also. I wonder what makes an owner eligible for a battery replacement. Seems like it is left to the dealers to make the decision, which may not be a consistent one unfortunately.

· Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, I get that impression also. I wonder what makes an owner eligible for a battery replacement. Seems like it is left to the dealers to make the decision, which may not be a consistent one unfortunately.
If you are from Canada (like the flag says).
I tried to get any attention to my battery for couple years. As a result many lost hours of time, many emails and explanations, hundreds of dollars and I had to put my own battery in the end. I bought battery meter and did capacity test dozen times. recorded video, pictures etc. 14AH battery capacity - no reaction from Subaru.
Last year they finally replaced hatch controller. But not the battery. No reimbursement either. Not going to waste my time. If I come again, they use their old tool and will tell me - "our tool say the battery is good" :)

· Registered
2019 Ascent Premier
47 Posts
I got the same letter about our 2019 ascent. The battery was still looking good and everything, but when I took the car for the 80k Km service late December, I mentioned the letter and asked if they could test the battery just in case. After the service was done, I asked about the battery and all I was told is that it was replaced under warranty.
I’m not even sure if they actually tested the battery or not, but I peeked under the hood and it had indeed a new battery. So I just took the win and the proverbial peace of mind of a new battery vs an 4 Canadian winters old battery I had before.

· Registered
15 Posts
I had my 2019 Ascent battery die 4 or 5 times with only about 13,000 miles on it. Local Subaru blamed me for letting car sit during early pandemic and indeed that was partially true, but I was surprised at how little time it took. I also found a dead battery after less than an hour of leaving doors open at a mountain campsite. The battery always measured 12 volts and was considered OK by Subaru when checked.
So, when I got the notice, I headed down. They test the battery for capacity with a new piece of equipment, due to the lawsuit. It failed miserably. I immediately was given a free replacement. I noticed it was the same size but had higher cold cranking capacity, No problem since. To qualify, you must bring the notice with you, at least according to my local dealership.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my 2019 Ascent battery die 4 or 5 times with only about 13,000 miles on it. Local Subaru blamed me for letting car sit during early pandemic and indeed that was partially true, but I was surprised at how little time it took. I also found a dead battery after less than an hour of leaving doors open at a mountain campsite. The battery always measured 12 volts and was considered OK by Subaru when checked.
So, when I got the notice, I headed down. They test the battery for capacity with a new piece of equipment, due to the lawsuit. It failed miserably. I immediately was given a free replacement. I noticed it was the same size but had higher cold cranking capacity, No problem since. To qualify, you must bring the notice with you, at least according to my local dealership.
Thanks for the note. Glad it worked out well for you!

· Registered
5 Posts
2019 Ascent here. For 3.5 years everything was fine, untill one month ago battery died. I didnt even know that those batteries were under recall , so i got new battery for free.
I had the same thing happen. Car would not start several times shortly after purchasing (2019). Found the original battery HD issues. It was replaced (free of course) and works great to this dynamic. We always plug in to low volt battery chargers every day.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Received a letter in the mail from Subaru extending the battery warranty on 2019-2020 Ascents to 5 years/100,000 Km.
Interested to hear how many Ascent owners have had a battery replaced under this warranty and what was the eligible battery issues/symptoms for the warranty claim to be honored?

Cheers,
Got my battery replaced today under the extended battery warranty :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Received a letter in the mail from Subaru extending the battery warranty on 2019-2020 Ascents to 5 years/100,000 Km. Interested to hear how many Ascent owners have had a battery replaced under this warranty and what was the eligible battery issues/symptoms for the warranty claim to be honored? Cheers,
I filed for reimbursement for a battery replacement 2 months ago (this is 3rd battery on 2019), got an email acknowling receipt of claim right away but no reimbursement yet. I initially took it to the dealer when it dropped to 5 volts 2 different days requiring a jump start to get going. They said battery tested good and said there was no drain from tailgate or anything else. 2 days later after being in garage overnight it was 5 volts again. By the way, I keep both key fobs in a feriday box inside the house when not in use so it cannot communicate/drain battery. I jump started, went to autozone and bought an Optima battery. Has been starting ok since then. I also installed a digital battery voltage meter in the car with an on/off switch so I can check on voltage even when engine is not on. When I check after sitting overnight it can be between 12.2 and 12.5 volts. It really should be 12.6 volts after 24 hrs so probably still some kind of drain but since Optima has higher amp/hour rating it can handle it. I sent a letter to Subaru and they said I should file a claim under battery settlement. So I did and am still waiting for a reimbursement. This is my first Subaru and will be my last.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I filed for reimbursement for a battery replacement 2 months ago (this is 3rd battery on 2019), got an email acknowling receipt of claim right away but no reimbursement yet. I initially took it to the dealer when it dropped to 5 volts 2 different days requiring a jump start to get going. They said battery tested good and said there was no drain from tailgate or anything else. 2 days later after being in garage overnight it was 5 volts again. By the way, I keep both key fobs in a feriday box inside the house when not in use so it cannot communicate/drain battery. I jump started, went to autozone and bought an Optima battery. Has been starting ok since then. I also installed a digital battery voltage meter in the car with an on/off switch so I can check on voltage even when engine is not on. When I check after sitting overnight it can be between 12.2 and 12.5 volts. It really should be 12.6 volts after 24 hrs so probably still some kind of drain but since Optima has higher amp/hour rating it can handle it. I sent a letter to Subaru and they said I should file a claim under battery settlement. So I did and am still waiting for a reimbursement. This is my first Subaru and will be my last.
Whilst many new models of vehicles have their fair share of quality issues, the first couple of years of manufacturing of the Ascent really had too many quality issues in my opinion (lots of recall notices!) and they should have spent more time ironing out these problems before going to full production - Subaru were in too much of a rush focusing on the Ascent release date and prioritized profit way too high over quality and the importance of a great customer experience with an expensive purchase and subsequent repeat business.

· Registered
2 Posts
Whilst many new models of vehicles have their fair share of quality issues, the first couple of years of manufacturing of the Ascent really had too many quality issues in my opinion (lots of recall notices!) and they should have spent more time ironing out these problems before going to full production - Subaru were in too much of a rush focusing on the Ascent release date and prioritized profit way too high over quality and the importance of a great customer experience with an expensive purchase and subsequent repeat business.
I agree with you. I am 77 and have bought many new cars over the last 60 years and I have had more quality/recall/battery/other issues with my 2019 Ascent than any other vehicle I have owned. It is very diaspointing. I originally was going to buy a Toyota Highlander until I was swayed by Consumer Reports recommendation in 2019 (they rated it as the best car in the category). I think they put too much weight on safety and not enough on reliability. I only have 32000 miles on it in 4 years. Thankfully. I still have a 2014 Honda CRV as a reliable backup. I've never had it in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

· Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
33 Posts
I recently had 2 episodes of long cranking on my 2020 Touring (18Kmiles) on cold mornings. It still has the original battery. When I took it in for the heater bolt recall, I mentioned it to the service person, and he told me to contact the Battery Lawsuit Settlement phone number to get a confirmation number before they would check to see if it was the battery. It turned out that the battery was fine. But they did a software update that is supposed to fix the long cranking (did someone mention a TSB about this?). We'll see if this fixes the issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts