Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
According to NHTSA the VIN for my Premium that is on order has GVWR of "Class 1D: 5,001 - 6,000 lb (2,268 - 2,722 kg)" and had the disclaimer of "Information provided below is based on the details provided by the manufacturer of this vehicle to NHTSA in the part 565 submittal".

Besides that (NHTSA is part of DOT), the sticker in the door opening has the GVWR listed for each vehicle, so that is more definitive I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was 6001 but saw a picture of a door sticker that said 6000. I could deduct up to 25k if it is 6001 but much less if it is 6000. Subaru would sell a lot more I imaging if they are over 6000 gvwr,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK just got a response from subaru. The GVWR IS 6000 and not eligable for section 179 deduction.

Also the Base Ascent does not have a cvt cooler and only tows 2000 lbs while all other ascents have a cvt cooler and can tow 5000 lbs. FYI

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK just got a response from subaru. The GVWR IS 6000 and not eligable for section 179 deduction.
That is good bad. I, much like you own my vehicle through my business. I was hoping they would have a 6001 GVWR. My current vehicle is a Ford Flex and is over so we were able to take the $25K up front and depreciate the rest on schedule. Sadly, the Ascent would need to go full on depreciation scale, which I believe takes it over 5 years.

The Ascent would be a great business for sales/manufacturer reps, photographers and such that have to haul a lot of gear for their profession. The main reason that I have and keep looking at the 3 row CUVs is because of the cargo capacity and not the people capacity. 95+% of the time, I have my 3rd row folded down and covered with my cargo mat.

Maybe Subaru will give some thought to this. I don't now if it would make a difference for them if they rated it at 6001 vs 6000. I am curious if different trim levels happen to make a difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is good bad. I, much like you own my vehicle through my business. I was hoping they would have a 6001 GVWR. My current vehicle is a Ford Flex and is over so we were able to take the $25K up front and depreciate the rest on schedule. Sadly, the Ascent would need to go full on depreciation scale, which I believe takes it over 5 years.

The Ascent would be a great business for sales/manufacturer reps, photographers and such that have to haul a lot of gear for their profession. The main reason that I have and keep looking at the 3 row CUVs is because of the cargo capacity and not the people capacity. 95+% of the time, I have my 3rd row folded down and covered with my cargo mat.

Maybe Subaru will give some thought to this. I don't now if it would make a difference for them if they rated it at 6001 vs 6000. I am curious if different trim levels happen to make a difference?

All trims were 6000lbs according to the rep

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about but if you ordered it with a trailer hitch, I bet that would put it over 6001 lbs for you!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about but if you ordered it with a trailer hitch, I bet that would put it over 6001 lbs for you!
That doesn't typically change the GVWR, that rating should be for all possible designed accessories plus people and cargo. So essentially as you add more accessories it reduces your rated capacity for people and cargo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea it would require suspension work, some places do it but it would have to be certified. Also it would draw more attention from the IRS, which you never want, even if you follow all the rules.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Also the Base Ascent does not have a cvt cooler and only tows 2000 lbs while all other ascents have a cvt cooler and can tow 5000 lbs. FYI
Subaru corporate is WRONG 6000 GVWR or more full cost writeoff 1st year . i think it's 25k plus bonus for 2018.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an ascent as long as it qualifies for the section 179 tax credit. I need a vehicle for business and it MUST have a gvwr GREATER THAN 6000 lbs. Online it states 6000 and 6001.

I messaged subaru but didn't get a response.

Would appreciate your help.
It's 6000 pounds or greater NOT greater than 6000 pounds. My wife is a Real Estate Broker We did this last with a 2012 BMW X5d.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's 6000 pounds or greater NOT greater than 6000 pounds. My wife is a Real Estate Broker We did this last with a 2012 BMW X5d.
Guys-consult your accountant-i may be wrong on this one although this is what i used when i wrote off the 2012 X5 BMW---- Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating between 6,000 lbs. and 14,000 lbs. may qualify for the deduction. If the vehicle is not, by its nature, used for personal reasons, it may qualify for the full deduction.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Subaru corporate is WRONG 6000 GVWR or more full cost writeoff 1st year . i think it's 25k plus bonus for 2018.
I'll figure this out, my accountant just sent me this from a publication
Section 179 Vehicle Deduction List for 2017 Tax Year
Type of Vehicle Section 179 Limitation
Cars $11,060
Passenger Trucks and Vans $11,160
SUVs (between 6000-14,000 lbs) $25,000

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're right, just asked my accountant and his response was 6000 lb or more. So ascent does qualify, so does highlander. That's great news!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts

I'm fairly certain they are saying Subaru confirmed the 6000 GVWR, I would bet they made no mention or determination towards the tax implications for them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm fairly certain they are saying Subaru confirmed the 6000 GVWR, I would bet they made no mention or determination towards the tax implications for them.
Read what he said.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
*MORE THAN* 6,000 Pounds, not 6,000 pounds or more.

MileIQ, your accountants, and the others are definitely wrong. It's definitely 6,001 to 14,000 pounds, inclusive.

That coincides with US Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration's Class 2 (6,001-10,000 inclusive) and Class 3 (10,001 to 14,000 inclusive) vehicle designations.

The Ascent is most definitely a Class 1 vehicle, in all configurations, regardless of any options or accessories. It always has an exact GVWR of 6,000 pounds.

This is directly from the IRS, publication 946, page 20 (link below):
Sport Utility and Certain Other Vehicles
You cannot elect to expense more than $25,000 of the cost of any heavy sport utility vehicle (SUV) and certain other vehicles placed in service during the tax year. This rule applies to any 4-wheeled vehicle primarily designed or used to carry passengers over public streets, roads, or highways, that is rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight and not more than 14,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf

You're right, just asked my accountant and his response was 6000 lb or more. So ascent does qualify, so does highlander. That's great news!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.