Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
hey guys, I had a question about how to fit in two babies using rear faced car seats in the 2nd row, and perhaps allow people to access the third row (for short travels). Can anybody provide a picture of how they managed to get it done?

thank you.

2nd row bench is 60/40 split. I would place two kids on the 60% leaving the 40% to flip down for 3rd row access. Warning be very careful during the 40% flip down do it your self do not let a young child do it. The 40% can bind against the side of the closest child seat and ic your not watching catch an arm easily wedging an arm between the folding seat and the hard edge of the child seat.

In my case I preferred one in the 3rd row passenger side and one driver side 2nd row. With the deep cut rear door its easy to reach in and clip a kid into a car seat in the 3rd row while standing at the door.

Does anyone have any more experience with 2 rear facing car seats in the 2nd row, specifically in the center and behind the passenger? We are hoping to buy the ascent this week, but need to make sure it’ll need our needs. Now that there’s more of these out on the roads, I’m hoping someone has some guidance. Any insight is appreciated.

Does anyone have any more experience with 2 rear facing car seats in the 2nd row, specifically in the center and behind the passenger? We are hoping to buy the ascent this week, but need to make sure it’ll need our needs. Now that there’s more of these out on the roads, I’m hoping someone has some guidance. Any insight is appreciated.
We bought the ascent as we prepare for baby #3 (bench seat for 2nd row) I don’t remember there being any latches for the middle seat so you would have to use the seat belt option for that spot if you put a rear facing seat there. Hope this helps!

We bought the ascent as we prepare for baby #3 (bench seat for 2nd row) I don’t remember there being any latches for the middle seat so you would have to use the seat belt option for that spot if you put a rear facing seat there. Hope this helps!

My understanding is that the second row bench (8-seat option) offers LATCH anchorage bars at the central position as well (and also includes top tether points): pages 68 to 82 of the Owner's Manual: https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1900C_STIS.pdf

For exact fitment, ENak1718!, I would encourage you to visit a local dealership and talk to a salesperson about actually mounting your seats into their demo vehicle.

Alternatively, for those who already own the vehicle or has access to one, taking the vehicle to your physical car-seat retailer to test fitment is the best way to be sure. The big box stores will have the most selection of the most common models, but the boutique baby-stores will often have the higher-end models that big-box discounters won't, and are often more willing to work with you. In either case, go during off-peak hours, and get friendly with their service staff - also offer their manager, up-front, a collateral (your driver's license will often suffice) and suggest that you are more than willing to have their staff come with you so that you can take the seat out to your vehicle for a direct fit.

There's just so many models of seats out there! :nerd:

It seems parents need to realize LATCH systems were designed for convenience and reducing incorrectly installed carseats. I prefer to use the seatbelt over the latch systems for rear or forward facing. Especially with a removable base car seat, belt in the base and go about your life.

As for the comments on which seating position is safest, check out any of the car seat safety blogs, sites, etc the center of the vehicle is absolutely the safest position for crash survivability. I don't see how either side could be safer, as you are placing the child closer to the airbag blast and the possibility of being showered with the tempered window glass.

If I'm not mistaken, all current Subaru's only have 4 latches across the back seat.
The 2020 Ascent actually has 5 latches in the 2nd row bench: 2 each on the outboard seats and a curious off-center one in the center seat.

The 3rd row only has 2 latches on the driver-side seat, and those aren't even aligned with that seat's seatbelt.

In the end, we have two carseats in the 2nd row bench -- forward-facing on driver's side, rear-facing bucket in center -- and two carseats in the 3rd row in the outboard positions. All of them are secured with seatbelts.

This allows the 2nd-row passenger-side "40%" seat to squeeze by the bucket seat so that the older kids can get in the 3rd row.

This arrangement still allows for a very small adult (emphasis on the "very") to sit in the 3rd-row center position and a full-sized adult to sit in the 2nd-row passenger side. For the cars we were looking at the Ascent was unique in this ability. They really thought that part through.

However, the 3rd-row passenger-side seatbelt is extremely hard to tighten against a Diono RXT. For some reason the buckle is slightly too tall and gets caught against the RXT before the strap it's connected to can be fully tensioned. I had to use that trick of tightening the seatbelt with the seatback inclined and then REALLY pushing the seat back up to compress the seat into the leather pads. And even then I'm really not 100% certain the seat won't pop forward under accident forces.

So that part Subaru did not think through properly.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.