Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car this morning with just 500 miles on it refused to start.
Here is a picture of the dashboard...it was completely lit up.
I tried remote lock/unlock and it failed too with a message that the car was running!
I stepped back about 5 feet and did a remote start through starlink and it started up.
Any thoughts on what might cause this condition and is it indicative of any faulty sensors? all the while the app shows all systems normal.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is the steering wheel in a bind? This is one of the many things that can keep it from starting. If so, you may have to turn it a little bit to get it out of a bind and then the car can start.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Was the starter push button green when you tried to start? Might want to take it out of park and into neutral and see if that makes a difference.
Most likely a battery issue as several have complained of same symptoms and found that to be the case.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks! So essentially push button wasn't green, the car somehow thought it was started (since the lock doors command through the app failed with a message saying car is started).
The steering wheel wasnt in a bind...it was loose (heavy but could be turned). and the gas cap was tight.

Spoke to Subaru this morning...they were very interested in the error codes...I have a dealer appointment next week for checking the codes (Dealer says if there were any codes it will be stored for a while so they can retrieve it...hopefully they can).

I will keep everyone posted, the car started normally this morning, so I am hoping its a simple issue like a software update or battery.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Just an FYI- if this problem was caused by the front wheels being turned with enough force to bind the steering lock you will get a message in the center of the guage cluster that says Turn Wheel To Start Car. It’s easy to miss this message and there is no warning tone. It acts just like what you described.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on another note...I am wondering if this has something to do with the latest software update that was pushed via wifi? Not sure if firmware that controls the critical controls of the car are pushed OTA (or just map updates)...thoughts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an FYI- if this problem was caused by the front wheels being turned with enough force to bind the steering lock you will get a message in the center of the guage cluster that says Turn Wheel To Start Car. It’s easy to miss this message and there is no warning tone. It acts just like what you described.
Thanks for the input. The steering had enough ply and was not locked (felt heavy to turn as the power steering was off it appears, but it wasnt locked tight).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car this morning with just 500 miles on it refused to start.
Here is a picture of the dashboard...it was completely lit up.
I tried remote lock/unlock and it failed too with a message that the car was running!
I stepped back about 5 feet and did a remote start through starlink and it started up.
Any thoughts on what might cause this condition and is it indicative of any faulty sensors? all the while the app shows all systems normal.
Thanks!
Software my darling you got software. It's all buggy, remember the 737? It's AI it's out to kill us all.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
on another note...I am wondering if this has something to do with the latest software update that was pushed via wifi? Not sure if firmware that controls the critical controls of the car are pushed OTA (or just map updates)...thoughts?
Nope. Nothing to worry about there. No critical systems software is updated via OTA. That requires a dealership, the appropriate programming/pack file and a Subaru Select Monitor v4.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for everyone's benefit...dealer had a look at the car, and found no codes. They believe its most likely a key fob issue but mentioned they cannot replace keyfob until the issue happens again...seems it could be cell phone interference with key fob signal...they have asked me to keep an eye out and if it occurs again, they will contact SOA for replacement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts