Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on any site. I feel obligated to warn other owners of a potential safety concern. My tailgate over a period of of time closed without WARNING. The first time i was hit . 6 weeks later my grandson was hit. No injuries. The third occurrence was in November at which time the tailgate hit ,me and drew blood.The tailgate did not reverse. I brought the car to my dealer who contacted Subaru Corporate. The assigned a safety team to inspect my car. They provided a loaner that i was only allowed to use in NY, NJ and CT.I drove a Subaru billboard advertising my dealer. I could not take it to visit our family in Pennsylvania or Mass. They inspected the car in December. They wanted me to leave the car with them for another 6 weeks. I could not do that since we were leaving for Florida. The car was released only if I signed a release that indemnified Subaru. We left for Florida and we finally received a report in February that on the day the inspected the car they found nothing wrong. I guess I was either a liar or the village idiot. I asked Corporate to replace the module this was refused. I called Customer service who referred me back to the Safety Team. One morning in Florida a neighbor told me the the gate was open. I did not open the tailgate. One another instance the gate kept reversing no obstruction was observed. Finally this morning the tailgate was partially opened. We no longer put the car in the garage.We return in April at which time I plan to invoke the lemon law. I had the car serviced at a local dealer who could not get the car to repeat the situation. I have had problems with the tailgate since I took delivery in December of 2018. This issue is reported on the first service of the vehicle. The Subaru dealer as well as the corporate staff have been great with communication. I would like to add that this is my 4th Subaru and my children have Subaru 's as well. Any advice or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
I don't believe this is a wide-spread issue...it's most likely a gremlin in your specific vehicle. Hopefully, your dealer service department and SOA will come up with a solution for you.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 2 of 2 Posts