Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after I bought my Ascent, the driver seat cooling fan started making a horrible noise and had to be replaced. Then I had a trailer flat on the interstate and, while I was waiting, it went into the "Subaru start refusal" mode. Now tonight, I head off for KFC and the engine is a little hard to start. When it does, the Eyesight Control warning light is on, the traction control light is on, the RAB light is on and the Check Engine light is on.

In two days I have to be out of town in this thing and now I have to be at the dealership in the morning for these scrambled brains to be straightened out.

I usually buy used cars that have been through any "new car craziness" but my wife always buys a new Subaru (but she keeps them 10 or 11 years). If this Ascent wants the same longetivity in my driveway, it is going to have to start behaving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had same issue. Waited 10 minutes and restarted with no issues. Took it to dealer and they said nothing was logged, must have been a glitch, cannot recreate, Subaru has never heard of this, have a nice day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had same issue. Waited 10 minutes and restarted with no issues. Took it to dealer and they said nothing was logged, must have been a glitch, cannot recreate, Subaru has never heard of this, have a nice day.

I just went out and checked it. It is perfectly normal. :sad: Why won't it stay broken so they can fix it?

Last night, I tried the 10 minute rest to no avail. I assumed this was something that had failed. Perhaps it was just like a hangver and it just had to sleep it off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sorry to hear that. #2 and #3 may be a battery on its way out. In the morning, before starting the car, check the battery voltage. It's important to see what it is before the alternator has a chance to start charging. My OEM battery showed signs of being weak from Week #2. Finally I started measuring voltage after a rest, and when it started showing much less than 12.0v (11.5 was the last straw for me), I had the dealership test the battery and yeah it was delivering 330 CCA instead of the rated (530 I think). They swapped for a new one which has been fine since (drops to 12.2v overnight).

If you don't have a multimeter, click into accessory mode (foot OFF the brake so the motor doesn't start) and while holding down Home, double click the button/knob at the lower right of the center screen. Select the second tab to read battery voltage.

F.S.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
If you don't have a multimeter, click into accessory mode (foot OFF the brake so the motor doesn't start) and while holding down Home, double click the button/knob at the lower right of the center screen. Select the second tab to read battery voltage.
Nice! You found one of the hidden screens!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had the same issue with the cooled seat making noise and already had the motor replaced once. I'm have to take it back in again as it has the same issue again except it vibrates my whole seat now.

I also have had the rough start once where all the sensors didn't boot correctly. I think this is due to a low/bad battery so I had Subaru check it but they said it was fine. I will probably replace my battery with a better one before going back into winter so hopefully it won't happen again.

This is the third brand new car I've purchased (all different makes) and if you are worried you can always buy the extended warranty but I have found TSBs will happen to help correct problems that appear and if something major happens they will typically extend the warranty.

Only issue was the Xterra with the transmission going bad around 95K in most vehicles so Nissan extended the warranty to 80K and covered nothing. Pretty sure there was a lawsuit. I got "lucky" that I was in a minor accident and had the radiator replaced around 65K which prevented the issue in mine.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The center console top multi-display (is there a less cumbersome name?) has the ability to display oil temperature in the "favorites" display. Why this display can't show coolant temperature and voltage, too, is kind of a mystery to me.
"MFD" = multi-function-display in Subaru nomenclature.

I wish they'd add more options for the favorites. I'd like an average mpg (I don't really like the other methods of displaying this), boost guage, and maybe even a speedometer. option.

·
Registered
146 Posts
"MFD" = multi-function-display in Subaru nomenclature.

I wish they'd add more options for the favorites. I'd like an average mpg (I don't really like the other methods of displaying this), boost guage, and maybe even a speedometer. option.
I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't go for the entire instrument cluster as a MFD and just dump the analog gauges. This would give us other display layout options and more gauges without requiring more gauges. I'd kind of guess from a cost perspective it wouldn't be that bad, either, maybe even reducing some secondary wiring to the cluster and the gauges themselves.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't go for the entire instrument cluster as a MFD and just dump the analog gauges. This would give us other display layout options and more gauges without requiring more gauges. I'd kind of guess from a cost perspective it wouldn't be that bad, either, maybe even reducing some secondary wiring to the cluster and the gauges themselves.
That would be nice. I think only the top trim VW Atlas has an all-digital cluster out of all the mainstream 3-row SUVs. A part of me thinks that this is even cheaper to implement than actual guages, but they can charge more beause it's still somewhat of a novelty to have. This makes me wonder if Teslas would cost more with real guages and buttons as opposed to everything being on-screen. I heard buttons and switchgear cost a lot to design, engineer, manufacture, etc. Of course, this is a one-man consipiracy theory, lol.

I'm also sure that OEMs keep certain features "in their back pockets" to release in future updates in order to maintain freshness/stong sales throughout the model cycle. Maybe the 2022 Ascent refresh will offer a digital cluster and that new giant screen from the new Outback.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A part of me thinks that this is even cheaper to implement than actual gauges, but they can charge more because it's still somewhat of a novelty to have.
It sounds like it would be cheaper, but my guess is the cost reduction is more in assembly since the "cluster" is now just a single LCD panel with maybe 1-2 bus connections, and not a bunch of discrete instruments. Even if the present cluster is a single assembly with similarly few bus connections, it's still an assembly made of a lot more parts with its own complex assembly process.

My guess is where the single panel LCD "cluster" gains cost is probably being its own computer with its own display engine, which probably drives up the parts cost beyond just an LCD panel, although maybe not much considering how cheap SoCs are. But then you have the software and graphic design side of it, as you know there will be an expectation that it will be highly customizable.

At worst its a wash cost wise, at best the streamlined assembly and reduced overall parts count make it a money saver for manufacturers.

I suspect, though, for some reason that Subaru owners may be deferential to analog gauges for some reason.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Something to consider for a digital display is the added cost of programming and debug. Nevermind the cost of yet another digital display that is likely higher than the long established manufacture of analog, mechanical dials.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts