Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. I know this is why exactly why we do preventative maintenance. I was rotating my tires yesterday and saw this when I pulled the first wheel off:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

I’m not worried about the rust stains; that’s the brake rotors, which are fine. I’m more concerned about the greasy spots.

Upon further investigation I found this little guy (lower control arm ball joint?) with a ruptured boot:
Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Synthetic rubber Rim

I did see that SAS covers suspension and drive train components so I’m hopeful it’s covered. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar part? Just trying to decide if I want the dealer to do it or do it myself. If the former, I want to be as ready as possible before dealing with them.

• Helpful
Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,935 Posts
I have not had personal experience with this issue and I have not read about it on the forum in regard to the gold plus. I think it is a SOA/Dealership question since it may be getting into the weeds. If I had to guess, I think it is covered.

·
Registered
Just ordered a '23 Ascent Touring
66 Posts
Question for those familiar with Subaru front ends: are those sealed joints, or do they have a cap somewhere to fill it every, say, 30,000 miles, like what Ford devised in 1960? I remember a lot of people would force in lube until the boot burst.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
If it's not listed as excluded, it should be covered.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question for those familiar with Subaru front ends: are those sealed joints, or do they have a cap somewhere to fill it every, say, 30,000 miles, like what Ford devised in 1960? I remember a lot of people would force in lube until the boot burst.
It’s not on the maintenance schedule to add grease and I didn’t see a way to do so. Based on that I assume they’re sealed

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Sparkland Thanks for digging for that for me

I’m going to ask for an alignment after the work is completed. I would hope that’s covered since I would assume it’s part of the repair, or should be.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer my initial question: yes the ball joints are covered. They come assembled with the grease boot.

They’ll have to order the part and I’ll bring it back for that repair. It was a good excuse to bike to work from the dealer so I’ve incurred no transportation expense

On another note I swear I can’t catch a break!
As I stated in the diy rear brake pads thread I’m having my rear pads replaced and rotors resurfaced while it’s at the shop.
Well my service advisor just called me and stated they kept gouging my rear rotors when they tried to resurface them and now they’re too thin to continue. That’ll be $190 for new rear rotors 😡
Needless to say I let them know I’m not happy that I came in with perfectly good rotors and now need new ones because they worked on them. I’m currently on the phone with SOA to open a case on this. I need the car back this evening or I would’ve told them to keep it until they decide to comp the rotors.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update: soa called the dealership and spoke with the service manager who said they’d take care of the rotors. Ridiculous what it took to fix that but whatever.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Quick update: soa called the dealership and spoke with the service manager who said they’d take care of the rotors. Ridiculous what it took to fix that but whatever.
Of course they should have stipulated to this right out of the gate. If at all possible, find a different dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course they should have stipulated to this right out of the gate. If at all possible, find a different dealer.
I’ve been exhausted the local dealer supply 😞

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I’ve been exhausted the local dealer supply 😞
My only suggestion at this point is to meet face to face with the top service manage. Extract specific promises from them such as expectations of service quality, knowledge of warranty items, and tsb. Once you have these promises, I would email the summary of those promises to that manager, copy the dealership owner and SOA on it so the promises are on the record, and there would be a better chance of accountability. Be as specific as possible in recounting frustrating service history and the requests moving forward.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mean, that sounds like a solid plan…but

1. I’m not a lawyer, though I’ve dabbled and that’s a whole other story, so I’d never get something concrete enough in writing to cover every scenario.
2. They’re just not worth my time to go thru all that.

The advice is appreciated though, don’t get me wrong!

Reactions: Froglips

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I mean, that sounds like a solid plan…but

1. I’m not a lawyer, though I’ve dabbled and that’s a whole other story, so I’d never get something concrete enough in writing to cover every scenario.
2. They’re just not worth my time to go thru all that.

The advice is appreciated though, don’t get me wrong!
Nothing in writing will cover all scenarios, but it will cover some and more importantly, the TONE will be set for future interactions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts