Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm out driving at 5am on most days and I have been playing around a lot with the driver assist features, lane departure correction, automatic lane changing, the ability to auto brake, etc. I may repeat the same manuver several times with different settings.

I assume this information on use and function of these features is collected.

Is the information ever provided to insurance companies, law enforcement or anyone else?

Under any circumstances??

They haven't raised my rates yet, lol

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,263 Posts
Why would they do that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would they share? Data is worth money. When connected cars were new, privacy was talked about a lot.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Hi @Slagmi, here it is. I will make this a pinned post somewhere, in a little bit...

Privacy Policies

There are four sets of privacy policies regarding your use of your Subaru and related services (including their website). One or more apply to each owner. All are spelled out.

Subaru's Eyesight Data Collection Terms (See your Eyesight and Vehicle Manual).
  • If you get into an accident, law enforcement and interested parties can subpoena the records, which include a short period of recorded data (cameras, ECU and Eyesight data, etc) that are permanently recorded at the time an impact is detected.

Subaru Starlink Privacy Policy:

Subaru MySubaru Privacy Policy:

And, if you live in California, this applies to you:

AT&T's Connected Car Privacy Policy

There are a number of other privacy terms/concerns related to using Android Auto and Apple Carplay, which everyone can research in the apps they choose to use on their Android or Apple device. Those have nothing to do with Subaru or the Ascent, as it would be the same in any other car or when using Android Auto/Carplay directly on your disconnected (from the car) phone.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
When connected cars were new, privacy was talked about a lot.
I remember when "pulling the OnStar fuse" was a popular thing for GM owners in the mid-1990s, to prevent anyone (GM, the gummint, etc.) from listening in.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You might be asking the wrong crowd. I haven't heard anybody on here work for the corporate office, but I think some do work for dealerships. To answer your question, I don't believe so. It's good to be skeptical though.

Here's a disclaimer: you do realized that anybody that's asking you w/ "how" or "why", w/o answering your question, will think you're a paranoid and conspiracy theorist, right?

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Google Maps might be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any day now ads will start popping up on my phone for deals on a set of brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts