Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Ascent Touring. It is awesome! CarPlay works when I have the iPhone connected to the USB port, but doesn't work wireless. Is this consistent with what you folks have seen?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No Calls

CarPlay is done ONLY via USB on the Ascent. I ended up unpairing my phone from Bluetooth because CarPlay just offers way more capabilities and better audio quality.
Just as a note, I don't think you can get calls via the USB connection. So if you unpair Bluetooth, no calls will come in via the infotainment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CarPlay is done ONLY via USB on the Ascent. I ended up unpairing my phone from Bluetooth because CarPlay just offers way more capabilities and better audio quality.
Just as a note, I don't think you can get calls via the USB connection. So if you unpair Bluetooth, no calls will come in via the infotainment.
That’s not true. I’ve definitely taken calls through CarPlay. Right from the manual: CarPlay can be used to view iPhone maps, play music, and **place calls** by connecting your iPhone to the system.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It automatically disconnects Bluetooth when connected to CarPlay. However, as long as you’re still paired, the Bluetooth connection picks right back up when usb is disconnected. Sometimes I’m lazy when I get in and just let it play Bluetooth music, but Siri and Waze are enough reason for me to connect it most of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bluetooth would connect as soon as I got in the car, but then it would not load CarPlay after plugging in. I assumed it couldn’t be both, but I haven’t tried it since I updated the head unit. Once I unpaired my phone from Bluetooth, CarPlay works flawlessly. Like I said though, I prefer the audio quality and the features that CarPlay provides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bluetooth would connect as soon as I got in the car, but then it would not load CarPlay after plugging in. I assumed it couldn’t be both, but I haven’t tried it since I updated the head unit. Once I unpaired my phone from Bluetooth, CarPlay works flawlessly. Like I said though, I prefer the audio quality and the features that CarPlay provides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All of these comments are interesting. I have recently been having problems making phone calls using CarPlay, but I have also just recently connected my new iPhone via Bluetooth as well. When i disconnect from CarPlay I can make a phone call through Bluetooth. But I can't make a call using CarPlay. Maybe the Bluetooth is preventing a call with CarPlay. However, one of the comments above says that Bluetooth is automatically disconnected when CarPlay is connected. I'm going to check that to see if it happens. I may wind up just unpairing my iPhone, and not use Bluetooth at all (as I am Groot does above)l. I'll update after doing some more troubleshooting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Greetings,
Seems I'm an outlier. I use the bluetooth connection far more often than Carplay, probably because most of my trips are short.

In my experience, when Carplay starts, the bluetooth connection is shut down. I found this out when my wife plugged her phone in to recharge while I was using the bluetooth connection to my phone for music. My wife's phone was not paired to the bluetooth, but the bluetooth connection to my phone still deactivated when her phone plugged into Carplay.

You should be able to make and receive calls through Carplay. Bluetooth should deactivate and not be a factor.

By the way, you can tell a phone not to recognize the Carplay app. We did this to my wife's phone. It effectively treats her phone as an ipod now. It can recharge and play music, but it doesn't activate Carplay or interrupt the bluetooth connection with my phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Following up on my previous comment. I went out to my car, started it, and did not connect CarPlay. My iPhone Bluetooth paired right away. I then connected my phone to the USB connection. The Bluetooth connection shut down. I was then able to make phone calls through CarPlay. This is all how it should work, as described by most of the comments above. So everything is working now as it should. Until it doesn't again. I have done nothing different. We'll see if I have any more difficulties, and I will advise further. I'm glad I found this forum. It's good to hear other owners issues, thoughts, and solutions. Thanksw.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Following up on my previous comment. I went out to my car, started it, and did not connect CarPlay. My iPhone Bluetooth paired right away. I then connected my phone to the USB connection. The Bluetooth connection shut down. I was then able to make phone calls through CarPlay. This is all how it should work, as described by most of the comments above. So everything is working now as it should. Until it doesn't again. I have done nothing different. We'll see if I have any more difficulties, and I will advise further. I'm glad I found this forum. It's good to hear other owners issues, thoughts, and solutions. Thanksw.
Have you tried updating your system via wifi (it works now!)? It might help with stability to be on the latest firmware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts