Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When showing me the car ('21 Ascent Touring) the salesman was very clear that Apple CarPlay worked wirelessly. We talked about it for several minutes. He said you have to plug your phone in via USB the first time, and then after that it would work without the cable. He said that is how he uses it on his car.

It doesn't work for me unless I have my phone connected to the USB. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? The phone is connecting via bluetooth - I can use Siri and what not, just no CarPlay.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
When showing me the car ('21 Ascent Touring) the salesman was very clear that Apple CarPlay worked wirelessly.
Your salesperson was, um..."mistaken". He/She also clearly doesn't understand CarPlay and is thinking that Bluetooth is the same thing. There is no wireless CarPlay or AndroidAuto on any Subaru currently. Perhaps a future hardware change will enable that, but currently, it's not something supported. Also CarPlay and Android Auto require WiFi to operate. Bluetooth is used for setup signalling, but all content delivery is via the far faster WiFi network technology. That's across the industry. There are some third party "dongles" that are appearing on the market, but if you entertain that idea, be sure anything you want to spend money on has been actually tested on Subaru and the specific Subaru model/year you have.

Honestly, I don't crave wireless for CarPlay one bit. I have always used a phone cradle in-vehicle and the cable isn't a hassle. It's also the fastest charging/power method, too.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. It's possible I may have misunderstood the salesman. Not a big deal, I just thought I may have missed something in the setup. I just did a little research, and it seems it's mostly the luxury cars (Audi/BMW/Mercedes) that support wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
The car can communicate to the phone via BT for calling and playing music through the head unit's Pandora app or similar. However, CarPlay is something else entirely, and it does need a USB connection for that. Depending on how you want to use the phone with the car, you may be able to do it entirely though BT. If you want features available only through CarPlay, like Apple or Google Maps, then you'll need to plug it in.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I never used my iPhone with Carplay (it's my work phone, so, I don't install apps on it, such as Waze, etc), but, I do know that I've used wireless charging and navigation on my Android phones, and it makes them hotter than I'd like.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Currently, this is the only way to get Wireless CarPlay working:

·
Registered
19 Posts
When showing me the car ('21 Ascent Touring) the salesman was very clear that Apple CarPlay worked wirelessly. We talked about it for several minutes. He said you have to plug your phone in via USB the first time, and then after that it would work without the cable. He said that is how he uses it on his car.

It doesn't work for me unless I have my phone connected to the USB. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? The phone is connecting via bluetooth - I can use Siri and what not, just no CarPlay.
Simply not true! We need to plug the phone in for CarPlay to work. Ensure that you purchase a quality cable with Apple certification and it should work just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.